Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord  (Read 20434 times)

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 02:24:51 pm »

Cloak of innocence. +1 It sounds great.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 05:10:01 pm »

Seems a bit... situational to me. Record-keeping strikes me as a pretty mundane thing to put in an artifact, and the mind blank, while useful, would need to be pretty strong and persistent to help with getting into and out of a drow matriarch's bedchambers or something.

Face of Fate
This Night Mithril Mask takes the form of a digger's face. It bears a steel circlet adorned with marble 'gems', and alternating spines of bronze, common stone, and wood. Wooden earrings adorned with sulphur hand from the mask's ears.

The mask makes its bearer harder to detect or stop via light, flame, nature, or earth. Practically speaking, this makes the bearer hard to see, especially by firelight or against a backdrop of flame, earth or stone, or natural living things. It also allows the bearer to slip past such things easier, rendering them less harmful, slippery, and slightly flexible to the bearer as appropriate. Finally, when the bearer has a target nearby and in mind, the mask carries the whispers of wicked gods and natural things to its bearer, telling them of their quarry's vile crimes (in the eyes of vile gods and wildlife) and other pertinent information (such as they are aware of and willing to share it).

Alternatively, if Night Mithril has a material mod of 1.7 and steel is 1.5, any weapons or armor we make out of it might be better than what she has on pure stats. That might justify getting a little more standard and just forging her a dagger or armor.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 05:20:40 pm »

Alright yeah, that mask sounds perfect if we can craft that. As others have said, she probably doesn't need more tools to kill with.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 05:43:06 pm »

Alright yeah, that mask sounds perfect if we can craft that. As others have said, she probably doesn't need more tools to kill with.
Actually, considering that he's asking for new Cooking equipment, He's probably asking for a rather nice Dagger from us.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2017, 06:11:53 pm »

Alright. Lets organize this.

Do you want to make -

A Dagger
A Cloak
A Chain Shirt
A Mask

What Materials do you Wish to Use in Artifact Construction?

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2017, 06:25:01 pm »

maybe, hmmmmm I vote for Dagger or the Mask.

Materials: Night Mythril, Sulfur, maybe some wood stone and steel.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2017, 06:26:50 pm »

Mask
Night Mithril, Sulphur, Steel, Bronze, Marble, Stone, Wood
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2017, 06:30:34 pm »

Dagger, Night Mithril, Steel
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2017, 06:57:11 pm »

Mask or cloak, materials as outlined in their descriptions.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2017, 01:31:36 am »

"Mril-Minda sprang from the shadows, her dagger striking flush with an artery in Queen Maud's neck.
As the pregnant queen bled out, her halfbreed killer paid no heed to the fact that she just ended two lives,
snuffed out a bloodline, and doomed a kingdom to war; Mril-Minda only felt satisfaction for a job well done,
and a curiosity as to what rare treasures she might buy her husband and daughter at market with her pay."

-Inscription of the Face of Fate

Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire, Refuge Queen of Silent Hammers, Empress Consort of the Southernfrost, and Queen Consort of Bedlamb and the Marble City
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Refuge City of Silent Hammers

You think long and hard about Count Chance's offer, but eventually you decide to accept. He agrees to send you the troops and first shipment of marble right away.

---

Gathering your household, you explain that you are about to enter a creative trance to produce an artifact, and that as such you will be incapacitated for some time. As sex is an act of creation, you expect to still entertain your husbands in bed, at least until you fall pregnant, but aside from that you warn that you wont be doing anything unrelated to the completion of your project. Your court is adviced to run Silent Hammers in your stead, and your servants are ordered to force you to eat, drink, and bathe at regular intervals.

With your affairs settled, you head to your room and send for the kingdom's finest samples of Night Mithril, Sulphur, Steel, Bronze, Marble, Stone, and Wood. Once everything is delivered you take a deep breath and activate the World Weld.

---

The next eleven months pass to a beautiful beautiful beat of hammer on anvil and chisel on stone. You are vaugely aware of falling pregnant and giving birth, but these events hardly serve to slow you down. Flame and steel, marble and deft hands, worship of the metal sacred to criminal halflings; These are the things important to you, and all else is pointless dreams or distant memory.

---

You come too naked in your workshop, surrounded by your household and clutching a horrifying mask against your chest:

The Face of Fate:
After taking a moment to admire your creation, you order it delivered to Mril-Minda and demand to see your child. Your firstborn is a male of Drugar Blood, and somewhat scrawny for somebody of his age and genealogy. He is already almost two months old, and as the trance you were in left you in no position to mother the child, it was given the name Dremscythe by his aunt, Captain Balrogsim, and passed off to a wetnurse shortly after being born.

Interested as to what fate might have in store for your firstborn, you carry the child to your forge, still glowing with embers used in the creation of a mighty artifact. You raise the child above the furnace, and gaze into it. The dying flames bend to your will and grand you a vision - albeit one you find rather disturbing.

---

While you were deeply entranced, creating first children for both yourself and the World Weld, your soul and subconscious began to treat both projects as one and the same - the child and the artifact are linked, and your son will suffer for it. Dremscythe is cursed and blessed to serve as a tool of death, He will be a natural prodigy in learning to use weapons and destructive magic, but will live a life devoid of contentment unless he is permitted to kill often for fun and profit. Furthermore, he is destined to control the Face of Fate. Should both survive until Dremscythe is old enough, he will try and kill either Mril-Minda to claim the mask for himself, or her family so that he may marry her and possess both the artifact and the one who it was made to be used by.

---

Eventually you get dressed and overcome the immediate shock of learning your son's fate. You rest for the better part of a day, before calling in your court for a briefing on the situation.

Lord Urist the Lefthanded speaks first. "My queen, while you were preoccupied, I lead expiditions to thorughly scout the upper regions of the Trollish Wastes, and have prepared a full briefing on what we might build and where. As it stands, we have just enough building materials to complete a single Dark Fortress, but we will need a better supply of food unless we want to work slowly, only employing our uneating goblin laborforce."

"If you wish to gain more food and lumber to build with quickly, queen," Princess Myguwen, leader of your Elf Rangers, chimes in, "I'd suggest sending your citizens to chop trees and gather fruit in the territory of the Pinewood Tribes, backed by my rangers, of course, to protect them from those backwards disgraces to elfkind who live there."

Trollish Wastes Development Report:

You have been gaining marble for 11 Months Now: What would you like to build and where? Are there any questions you would like to ask at the meeting? Anything you would like to do after the meeting is over?

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2017, 02:34:37 am »

Shit.....Alright, for Dremscythe, I'd rather he be happy, so perhaps when he becomes of age, we go to Iron Brand, and ask him to be the godfather, while allowing Drem to work in the assassin's guild?

I say we make the military base at the bottleneck, and see about that bugbear who chance has given to us going there, him or the hobgoblin we have currently. I say we have someone examine the rocks themselves instead of just taking the word of the native savages. The noble said we had access to half his food stores right? So I think we can give food to hurry the production of the dark fortress.

I am very worried about Dremscythes foreseen future, Cause this basically means an alliance with the Halflings is impossible now, knowing our son will ruin it one day, unless we can figure out some way to get the half drow to fall in love with him, which is doubtful
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:20:23 am by Dopl »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2017, 03:19:45 am »

Here's my Plan.

Actions
Construct 1 Fungal Farm in the Dung Slopes
      - 5 Labor Units of Goblin Slaves (2 LU to 4 FU Conversion Rate before material mod, does not need food to act)
      - 1 Labor Unit of Hobgoblin Drivers (2 LU to 7 FU Conversion Rate before material mod, does not need food to act)
      - 4 Halfling Commoners
      - 10 Marble

Gather Resources in the Pinewood Tribes
      - 3 Force Units of Charcoal Tribe Elf Rangers (x2 Bonus to fighting in the woods)
      - 3 Labor Units of Assorted and Mixed Breed Diggers

Construct a Watchtower in the Tunnel's Mouth
      -  10 Labor Units of Assorted and Mixed Breed Diggers
      -  4 Labor Units of Halfling Commoners
      -  1 Labor Unit of Highborn Dwarves
      - 15 Marble

Cost :
5 Food
25 Marble

We probably should have told our slaves to work on stuff before going to make the artefact.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2017, 04:58:42 am »

Man, who would have thought inscribing murder on the very fabric of the world would have side effects.

Shit.....Alright, for Dremscythe, I'd rather he be happy, so perhaps when he becomes of age, we go to Iron Brand, and ask him to be the godfather, while allowing Drem to work in the assassin's guild?
This and making sure he always has drow to murder. Maybe we could set up some gladiatorial games? Watch goblin warslaves and condemned criminals get gutted in the arena because the queen's son and heir is definitely not a psychopath!

I am very worried about Dremscythes foreseen future, Cause this basically means an alliance with the Halflings is impossible now, knowing our son will ruin it one day, unless we can figure out some way to get the half drow to fall in love with him, which is doubtful
I'm more optimistic, but mainly because we have a few decades (I assume) before it becomes an issue. What a few decades is supposed to change, uh... well, we'll worry about it later.

Here's my Plan.
I'll reluctantly +1 this. I'd rather get a quarry started, but you're probably correct that taxing trade will give us more benefit at the moment. Hopefully we'll be able to just buy stone with wealth once the watchtower is up.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2017, 05:09:25 am »

+1 to the construction plan. At the next opportunity we should start a quarry, using marble to build a dark fortress seems like something which might have consequences. (It would be interesting to know if it's theoretically possible)

As for Dremscythe his fate is both a problem and an opportunity. His fate is bound to Mril-Minda, we can use that to strengthen our ties with the Don or destroy him. Personally I think it will be useful to tell the Don we have made him two tools not one, that the mask is Mril-Minda's now and that he may have Dremscythe, who will be just as potent when he is ready, on the condition that he learns his art under Mril-Minda. This gives our son every opportunity to win the mask by gaining the hobbits' respect, otherwise it gives him the information to destroy them when the time comes.

Destinies should be embraced, not avoided.

If Mril-Minda is not currently married then we should also put out feelers to an eventual marriage alliance between her and Mril-Minda. (What effect would that have on our relationship with the boy's father? Would he accept that this would be the best way for the boy to grow to his full glory?)

Speaking of our husbands, how do their realms fare, is there anything we can do to help them. How goes our husband's war?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2017, 05:17:45 am »

Dremscythe is thd heir to two Kingdom's. Can't give him away.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18