Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord  (Read 20395 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 05:08:12 pm »

We need to figure out who this is and why they slew first diggers.  Could be a drowish assassin.

- Somebody living in the Militia Barracks has personally slain four of the First Diggers

We have a number of skilled mages and scholars in addition to unparalleled skill in smithy, maybe starting a trade school could get us influence in the surrounding lands and beyond.

My idea would be to take out the Drow and claim some of that land for resources, maybe build a dark fortress there, then have our husband intervene in the civil war on behalf of the count and make the human kingdom a protectorate.

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 12:05:55 am »

I agree, we need to set up infrastructure. Supporting our husband in the war is also something we should do, although I am not sure what method we should take to do it. Agree on taking out the drow soon, although not yet, within the next decade for sure though, goblins workers would be nice. If we subjugate the anti-industry elves, I say we give their home to the Hobgoblin, make them his slaves, and have it become a wood harvesting colony. Someone should be sent to find the one capable of killing 4 of the first diggers, they could prove a very lethal threat. While there, perhaps we could convince the one to have slain 5 war trolls to assist in the war. We should also try to do something to lessen the hatred towards halflings, I can see things going rather poorly from them being mistreated by the populace, perhaps recruit one as the courts spymaster? Idk on that one. I would love our Queen to have a castle, but I feel that should wait until we have a strong industry first. Our first action I think should be sending a message to Emscythe asking what kind of support he needs, and how we can help. This at the very least should show that we are more than just political allies, but legitimate ones that wish to assist, worst case we lose a husband and their kingdom, best case we end the war this decade freeing up resources to raid the drow. We should also talk to Dulfrog about the amulet.

TL;DR: Ask Emscythe how we can be of assistance in his war efforts, Talk to Dulfrog, Infrastructure, Begin preparations to raid drow (Scouting)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2017, 01:41:09 pm »

What is a first digger but a dwarf who couldn't even learn to age?

-Grafitti found near the apartment of Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire, written in hobbitscript

Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire, Refuge Queen of Silent Hammers, Empress Consort of the Southernfrost, and Queen Consort of Bedlamb and the Marble City
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Refuge City of Silent Hammers

On the morning of the second day of your rule, you ask Lord Urist to give you a tour of the militia barracks, in hopes of identifying the two powerful soldiers that the World Weld informs you possess great feats.

The Barracks are pretty much what you would expect; Walls lined with cots and hammocks, with wide open spaces in the middle of each chamber for your soldiers train and socialize.

Activating Feat Vision, you quickly spot the individual with the four first digger kills. He is an older digger who lacks features identifying him as either a dwarf or drugar, and this likely means that he is either the child or grandchild of a first digger himself: somebody like you who remembers the race before it was divided.

The object of your interest has set up a board and is playing Deepkinghts with a much younger soldier, but you can tell his focus is on you; The digger wears a patch over his left eye, making it hard for him to conceal the direction of his gaze. Lord Urist notices that the pair of you are eyeing each other, and swoops in to make the introduction.

"I see you have an eye fer fine soldiers m'queen." Urist states enthusiastically, "This is the militia drill instructor, Char-Din. Think he might be the oldest fecker in this town... save for you o'course. Guy actually fought on the dwarf side in the Goldspear wars... as a sniper even."

Char-Din rises from his game to offer you a bow and a warm laugh. "Dunna worry mum! My first digger snipping days are long over. Dun got no moar depth perception! Ya'd av ta stand right in front o' my crossbow if ya wanted me to put a bolt in your skull!"

You know enough history to put Urist's implication and Char-Din's jokes into context. The Goldspear wars took place when an army lead by first diggers under Warlord Goldspear attempted to unify the recently divided dwarves and drugar by force. Goldspear and his army met their end at the Dunk Canyon Ambush, where dwarven snipers took the high ground and assassinated the warlord and his entire war-council just before his army was flanked by the dwarves on one side, and the forces of a mercenary drow queen on the other.

The Troll-slaying soldier is even easier to spot; She appears to be a younger female drugar, but it is tough to tell for sure; Her body is covered in a cloak of troll fur, and her head is concealed under a troll-skull helmet. When she spots you looking at her, the Drugar quickly rises and leaves the room.

"Don't mind her," Urist explains, again following your eyes. "Silkdread is a shy feck. Some 'o the boys who have been shagging her tell me she dosn't even take her helm off in the sack. Damn fine soldier though. From one of the savage drugar tribes, some even say she is a princess. Whatever her birth, she can channel a bezerker rage good as any savage I've ever met."

---

That evening you sit down with King Emscythe, who has spent his day exploring Silent Hammers, talking to its people, and taking notes on its infrastructure. You ask your engineer husband how he thinks you should proceed.

"Town is a right mess, love," he explains with a sigh. "Your subjects built haphazardly and filled up all the space on the surface. As it stands, you can't build an industrial forge or anything else of significance without seizing and demolishing the homes of your people. If you want my advice, I'd suggest dispatching some of your dwarf or drugar citizens to conduct a soil survey. We can look at the results then, and determine if adding an underground level to Silent Hammers is feasible."

Your husband then frowns and puts his hand on your shoulder, looking into your eyes to give a stern warning. "Whatever you do, don't talk about infrastructure in public just yet. You are building space for more housing, that is all. I found the Hobbit Dons want to keep Silent Hammers impoverished so that the citizens remain dependent on their criminal guilds. One of the guilds they control is an assassins guild... So I'd be very careful about how and when I choose to cross them."

He leans in to kiss you on the cheek, tears running down his face. "Not more than an hour after I starting asking about infrastructure, A handful of goons starting shadowing me. They were sending a message. I... I never in my life thought I'd be worthy to be your husband. Never. Now I can't lose you. I can't! Please don't get yourself killed by mishandling these dickheads."

You pull the Drugar in for a hug. "I'll keep that in mind," you conceede, "but I'm not going to stand for losing you either. This war against the Drow. How risky is it going to be for you to rush it? Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Let me think about it," The Scholar-King holds you in his embrace for the better part of a minute and the political conversation ends up delayed for the better part of an hour after you mutually decide to enjoy your wedding bed for a spell.

Eventually talk of Drow resumes. Emscythe would have to convene a war council back home and consult his vassals and generals to understand the full risks of war with the Beetle Queendoms, but off the top of his head he guess that his odds of successfully prying (and holding onto) a good amount of land from them are a bit worse than a coin flip if he wishes to hold back enough of his army to safely defend against a counter attack.

As for how you can help, your husband has three main ideas. The first would be to travel with him to the Marble City, attend his war council, join his court for a few years, and perhaps give him a few children. If you do him the honor of dwelling in his home for a spell, Emscythe offers to personally fund and plan the expansion of your infrastructure and military.

If you wish to remain on the surface and in your new kingdom, Emscythe has two suggestions as to how you might help both him and yourself. "I say raid their lands. Steal their crop, pillage their mines, massacure their hamlets. Raiding us underground folk is what you surface dwellers are good for, right? I bet you could even cut the Hobbit Dons in on that action. Make them think you are their friend, and gain some of their manpower and resources for the job."

Your husband grins. "My other suggestion is a bit higher in terms of risk and reward. The road my people use to visit these lands you live on runs through a region of the cavern called the Trollish Wastes, a wild fungal swamp paralell and connected to the tunnels of the Beetle Queendoms. The place is infested by savage Drugar tribes and peoples of lesser races as well. Gain a foothold in the Trollish Wastes, win the support of the savages there, build watchtowers, hell even Dark Fortresses, along the road. Do that and you can help resupply my forces, prevent the drow from flanking them, and even make trade much safer during peacetime."

---

On the morning of the third day of your reign, you summon Dulfrog to you chambers. "I saw you starring at the wedding reception. Do you like what you see Prince?"

The Princely Priest nods and offers a perverted smirk. "Sure do. Even if I didn't, Bloodlord Haigen gave me strict orders to sleep with you if at all possible. He deeply regrets that he cannot be present to compete for the right to father your firstborn, and would love nothing more than to see your other husbands denied that privilidge as well... But that is not why you called me here, is it? You know I know, don't you?"

"What is it you think you know, Price?" You ask straight faced.

"That necklace of yours. Stunning. I don't know what it is, but you messed with the laws of reality itself to make it, didn't you?"

"Perhaps... What does it matter to you?"

Dulfrog grins. "To me, it matters alot. The feat you accomplished in making that is unprecedented for a mortal. The necklace maker should be baptized into the worship of the Old Ones. The Dwarven Gods have their place, and should always be worshiped for their role in creating us, but their basic laws and theology alone are rarely enough to enlighten beings of true power and intellect."

The Prince's smile widens as he continues. "But as much as the necklace interests me, it will mean so much more to my master and your husband. Bloodlord Haigen is a true drugar's drugar, not some sentimental fop like the scholar king. He admires little more than power, ambition, and prestige. He accepted your marriage proposal because you were a way to ensure that his heirs would have more prestige than his mutt bloodline alone could provide. Tell me exactly what the pendant does, and what your ambitions are with it. I'll write my master, and let him know he has stumbled upon a wife he can actually love and rule alongside."

---

How do you Proceed?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:43:35 pm by Weirdsound »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2017, 02:12:16 pm »

Be Semi Honest, Talk about how it allows you to Make artifacts attached to people directly, and how it allows you to detect people who are worthy of them... But speak as though YOU are the only person able to use it.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 04:19:26 pm »

Be Semi Honest, Talk about how it allows you to Make artifacts attached to people directly, and how it allows you to detect people who are worthy of them... But speak as though YOU are the only person able to use it.
+1. Don't forget to tell him we will consider the baptism though, that is something we should learn more about.

I don't think think we should leave our lands quite yet, but I do think we should go to the trollish wastes (taking the Silkdread). It sounds like a good place to establish a dark castle if we do so. I also think we should hold a council with the halfling dons, perhaps negotiate a way for us to create industry while not pushing their guilds to ruin, and should at the very least higher them to assist in the war, raiding crops and pillaging, hopefully taking out a few targets, like emscythe suggested.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:42:41 pm by Dopl »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 04:28:59 pm »

Pee Tee Double-Yoo.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 05:38:46 pm »

"Hobbit Dons" amuses me far more than it should.

+1
I don't think think we should leave our lands quite yet, but I do think we should go to the trollish wastes (taking the Silkdread). It sounds like a good place to establish a dark castle if we do so. I also think we should hold a council with the halfling dons, perhaps negotiate a way for us to create industry while not pushing their guilds to ruin, and should at the very least higher them to assist in the war, raiding crops and pillaging, hopefully taking out a few targets, like emscythe suggested.
I agree with pushing the hobbits against the drow, but they're an antagonistic force. We should have their destruction, crippling, or subjugation in mind as a long-term goal.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 05:48:57 pm »

+1
I agree with pushing the hobbits against the drow, but they're an antagonistic force. We should have their destruction, crippling, or subjugation in mind as a long-term goal.
+1
Or subversion to our side. Think, it would help us to cement power more easily in less-law abiding areas: if it's too hard to take out the criminals with the military, we can send our criminals to just take them over.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 05:51:48 pm »

I'll side with irony here; the end goal should be exterminating those walking little balls of lard.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 06:38:16 pm »

+1

Oh no, I agree completely there. I'd prefer for the dons to be gotten rid of long term, but one of our husbands is already being threatened by them. Which is why some political dealings might be a good idea

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 06:53:46 pm »

Master,

The disturbance in reality you detected,
THAT WAS AURORA!!! She made an amulet
of immense power. Read the attached report
for details.

She cannot be a mere political ally and tool
to enhance the blood of your children.
Her ambition at least matches yours.
If fear if you do not put an earnest effort
into making her a lover and confidant,
you will destroy each other in the end.

-Letter from Prince Dulfrog to Bloodlord Haigen

Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire, Refuge Queen of Silent Hammers, Empress Consort of the Southernfrost, and Queen Consort of Bedlamb and the Marble City

Refuge City of Silent Hammers

You explain that the World Weld gives you the power to easily make lesser artifacts by inscribing your work with great deeds. You also tell the prince about how the pendant also allows you to detect the great deeds of yourself and others. A few things are left out and fabricated in your description; You fail to mention that you might control others through the artifacts you give them, and outright lie, telling him that the World Weld only works for you.

Dulfrog takes notes as you talk, and when you finish, you return to more personal matters. "I would like to learn more about worship of the Old Ones, Prince, and would gladly at least consider baptism."

The prince nods. "I find your willingness to learn most pleasing, and will be glad to give you lesson whenever you wish. Should you choose baptism, I could oversee the ceremony myself, but would suggest waiting until you get to meet my master. The Bloodlord is part of the clergy, and I'm sure he would appreciate the honor of initiating his own wife."

---

You inform your steward Bort that you would like to arrange a meeting with the Hobbit Dons. The old hill giant nods, promises to secure the meeting, and departs your company.

---

Bort returns in the evening, interupting a romantic moment between you and All-Lord Ukareem.

"M'lord, M'lady," He reports, "Don Samwise 'Branding-Iron' Huck, leader of the assassins guild, has answered your request for an audience, and is waiting with his two bodyguards in the main room of your apartment. He appologizes that the others are not present, and offers the explanation that his fellow dons are too old travel well and don't fare well with non-halflings anyway."

On a hunch you turn on your feat vision, and sure enough detect that the being who killed the human king's pregnant wife is now in your drawing room. Wonderful.

"You know, my queen, I am famous for handling busniess with non-dwarfs," Ukareem chimes in, breaking your train of thought. "Perhaps I could handle this hobbit for you? Or at least sit in on the meeting."

As you ponder your husband's offer, it dawns on you that there is likely no harm in letting your guest stew for a bit before greeting him. Perhaps you could call some other members of your court and/or a few troops to witness the meeting as well.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:01:32 pm by Weirdsound »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 07:38:35 pm »

his fellow dons are too old travel well
This keeps getting better and better. Imagery-wise, I mean. It's probably also pretty convenient for our plans.

Let's bring in our husband to watch, but dust off our own social skills. We should also bring in our other husband and mother-in-law to let our assassin know he's dealing with united diggers and exotic heavy hitters.

Do we know what we want to talk about? First priority is figuring out what the Dons (and their heirs apparent, if possible) want so we can destroy them with their own greed and hubris. Second priority is probably siccing them on the drow to weaken both and set us up for more decisive blows (likely with the hobbits being promised a cut in exchange for their raid work).

I like Emscythe's suggestion to build Dark Fortresses in The Trollish Wastes, a fungal swamp parallel and connected to the Beetle Queendoms. Seeing if the hobbits are interested in expanding- or expanding with us- into there might be another chance to leverage their hubris to our benefit.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2017, 07:41:29 pm »

Bodyguards are a must, yes. Seriously, we're dealing with the (supposed...) Don of the assassins' guild. Make sure to look out for any surprises.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2017, 08:11:51 pm »

Have some people come in with us, if the don has bodyguards there is no reason the queen should not. What we wish to talk to the don about is expansion of the kingdom, and the guilds work for it. Maybe we should offer to craft an artifact for the don? Obviously not anything that can help him in combat, just a trinket of sorts to allow us to keep tabs on him, his feat does seem like a useful one to have if we can in-fact give people artifacts with others feats.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2017, 08:49:50 pm »

Take only two of the were weasels as body guards.  Of course our husband is welcome to his own two body guards since he is joining us.  Only fair, 2 bodyguards each...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18