Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord  (Read 20392 times)

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2017, 03:11:22 am »

Sounds like a good plan, I agree on warning the don as well, although on the other hand if she dies here, we can have the mask for Dremscythe and the halflings can't technically fault us ;).
I am for warning them not to mess with them though....it is annoying that a dragon is married to the grandson of someone we need to eliminate though.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2017, 08:08:14 am »

I think we definitely need to meet the dragon before making a decision about who should be warned. The Don is proving to be a valuable short term ally, and while our families are destined to cause each other trouble it is probably best not to get his daughter in law killed just yet. However we do need to see what the Dragon is like, perhaps this will prove to be an opportunity to make a more powerful ally, either by warning the dragon and/or the Don depending on our assessment of their usefulness.

That said, having established that the Dragon is not the powerful sorcerer our mother in law detected we should probably release the 2 wealth required for her to search for them, if only to know what is going on in our city.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2017, 08:27:34 am »

The dragon has killed many people in the city, maybe in self defense, so we should not talk to her directly.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2017, 09:35:11 am »

Next time an artifact is made, it's for us and protects the wearer from most dangers. I don't care if our soul and mind and whatnot can't be killed if there's still writing scattered around places, we need something to prevent laceration, evisceration, and incineration. ESPECIALLY since we have some form of dragon/dragon-cultist/dragon-something-or-other in our city.

Also, what better fate for a child than to be a protector of those who actually appear to not fight, ever. Unless, you know, it goes like some forumite's sig, and babies become used as shields.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2017, 02:53:02 am »

"#87: Surface dwarves are quick to call out our use of Goblin Slaves,
yet they are keen to hunt trolls, which are known to be fully sentient
beings, for nothing more than sport and leather."

-The 107 Grievances of the Drugar

Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire, Refuge Queen of Silent Hammers, Empress Consort of the Southernfrost, and Queen Consort of Bedlamb and the Marble City
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Refuge City of Silent Hammers

"Let me cut you off, Glen," you interject, "the reason I asked about your neighbors is because I already know they are dangerous. Far more dangerous than you might even assume at this juncture. And I might have use for them. For everybodies sake, I'd recommend advising your wife to leave priestess and her boy alone."

The young mobster doesn't like what he hears, but with some prompting from his father, who thanks you for the warning agrees to pass the message along.

You wrap up your meal and drinks, before heading on your way.

---

Unsure if you want to face the dragon directly just yet, you write her a letter explaining you know who she is, and that her secret is safe with you and your court.

You quickly recieve a cold and somewhat threatening reply, reminding you it is a capital crime to knowingly approach a dragon without a propper gift, and that she and her mate are above your pathetic mortal law. The Dragon concludes the letter by informing you that she would have likely slaughtered you and your entire court to protect her secrecy, had the embers not shown her the same prophecy of drowish Armageddon that you have also seen.

---

Monthly orders are issued. Workers are to staff your new fungal farms at Dung Slopes, while your Drugar nobles are to attempt to purchase some brick from Goldears. Meanwhile your military is to be kept busy protecting your farms, the chokepoint near Axeltax, Branding Iron's Convoy, and the Troll Hunting party that you plan to join.

---

Dragging some of your militia along for protection, you board a stagecoast and head down to the Trollish Wastes, where you catch up with Mithra Piketooth and her party of highborn troll hunters. You quickly settle in with the group, and wind up spending the rest of the month with them.

Each morning you break camp with one of the parties' best tracker and a group of younger hunters. You are pretty sure this is what dwarves call a 'milk drinker group' and that the tracker is under specific orders to keep you away from anything too dangerous. You only ever encounter small trolls, in groups of one or two, which are easily dispatched by a hail of crossbow bolts before they can close the distance and attack.

While you are out, you scan the trollish wastes for savages with useful feats. In this endeavor at least, you are not disappointed.

Feat-o-Vision:

After each day's hunt, you return to camp to drink and sing with the collected dwarven nobility. You meet a handful of people who you find interesting or otherwise worthy of your future attention.

Mithra Piketooth, the leader of the hunting group, is the sister of your predescesor and militia commander, Lord Urist the Lefthanded, and would have likely been given rule of Silent Hammers had you not turned up. Dame Piketooth and her husband Lord Dgreg Piketooth are both quite glad you took over and don't seem the least bit jealous; Although they both possess leadership qualities in spades, they are quite fond of being able to hunt and explore as they please, unbound by the duties of office.

Hass Piketooth, their second cousin and one of the younger hunters you are paired with every day, spends a good amount of time pestering you for advice on working with steel. You find it refreshing that a highborn dwarf of his generation is actually willing to work a forge rather than just own one, and the kid strikes you as somebody who possesses a quick wit and the ability to learn fast.

Jango Urist, Mithra's nephew and Lord Urist's second half Drugar son, lives in the territory of the Pinewoods elf Tribes with his male lover to avoid the homophobic treatment that digger society is infamous for. Apparently he only returns to his family to join them on hunts. You get to talking with him, and he eventually offers to set up a meeting with the Queen of the Bobcat Tribe, which rarely causes trouble as no major trade route passes through their turf. Like all Pinewoods Tribes, Jango explains, the Bobcats still view industry and commerce as sinful, so they may be hard to deal with on a diplomatic level, but they are also reknowned for their hospitality and are, in Jango's estimation, 'a damn friendly people'.

The Drugar Nolok, The last digger of interest you meet on the trip is a member of your militia guard, rather than the hunting party. You catch him being picked on by his fellow militiamen because he had a dream that you would craft him an engagement gift to help him express his feelings to the one he loves, and was dumb enough to share that dream with his peers. You press him for details about the dream on a lark, and are shocked when he says his dream had you spending months making a ring for him to give to Silkdread, the savage militia member with the troll-slaying feat. Perhaps the soldier is a prophet, or perhaps he is somehow attuned to the World Weld.

---

Eventually the hunt draws to a close. On the final day, Mithra pulls you aside.

"As promised, my queen, I will be donating some of our catch to the crown as thanks for providing us guards," she declares, "and since you were kind enough to bless us with your presence, I've decided to let you choose what your take is."

Choose your Payment:

---

When you get home, you receive reports from the field and your court.

Labor Report from Dung Heap Farm:

Labor Report from Dung Heap Farm:

Monthly Report:

How do you Proceed?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:55:43 am by Weirdsound »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2017, 04:25:18 am »

Maybe waving politely to the dragon from very far away was a better idea after all.

Hunt Payout
Daaaaaaaamn. This is an amazing haul and I badly want A (regeneration), D (rapid growth), and F (murderbuddies for our murderson).

I think I'm ultimately gonna have to vote F: Red Troll Orphans to give our son some murderbuddies. We can get artifact fodder from a billion different sources, but childhood lackeys are a bit harder to do right.

Trade Deal
Yes yes yes take the deal. 50 bricks we're rich hahahahahahaha. We can get a quarry going and everything!

Feat-o-Vision
I'd like to pay a visit to the insectfolk hive. They have a bound demon, an apparently rather capable summoner, and are on the list for assimilation. Normally I'd send an envoy, but since our diplomat husband is in town again, I figure it'll be worth it to go personally with him.

Sorc-o-Vision
Oops, we should get our hag her 2 Wealth so she can track down our sorceror.

SUDDENLY EAGLES: Damn it. Guess we'll leave as much military force as possible (including our city-capable militia), and hope the full dwarven nobility can handle quarantine, because our drugar are stilly busy trading.

SUDDENLY WHORES: Uh. Right. Not sure we can do anything about that, other than slam our fist into the table and rant about how the drow's insidious scheming knows no bounds.

Official Orders
Work Dung Heap Farm
-2 FU Slutty Human Commoners
-2 FU Slutty Hobbit Commoners
-2 FU Assorted/Mixed Diggers With Superior Taste In Whores
-2 FU Slutty Human Phalanx (guards)

Seal Trade Deal (and start hauling it back?)
-4 FU Drugar Highborn
-3 FU Assorted/Mixed Diggers (hauling duty)

Diplomacy With Hives (and other natives? not sure if this is a monthlong thing or if we'll have other plans or what)
-Ourselves and All-Lord Ukareem the Silver
-1 FU Weremule Warmonks (free)
-2 FU Goblin Warslaves (free)

15 (paid) FU (counting the 3 stationed at Axeltax; I assume they still need to eat, or does housing reduce that?) total: -3 Food
Expected gain: +6 Food, +2 Wealth
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:20:22 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2017, 12:53:19 pm »

15 (paid) FU (counting the 3 stationed at Axeltax; I assume they still need to eat, or does housing reduce that?) total: -3 Food
Expected gain: +6 Food, +2 Wealth

Troops lounging around a tower consume no more fore than troops lounging your city.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2017, 01:37:28 pm »

I definitely agree on F, some of those materials look interesting however, a troll posse for our son is too awesome to pass up.

So much yes to 50 bricks that would be a real boon.

Also agree on the work order, however as the goblins cost no food they should be activated to transport the brick if the trade deal is concluded before the end of the month.

Definitely give our mother in law the two wealth she needs to discover the were eagle.

I'm not sure about the next two suggestions but I'll put them out there:
Spending the 2 food and 10 marble to make a farm at Tunnel's mouth (assuming the land is suitable for farming) under the guard of our watch tower seems like a prudent idea, the more food we can produce the more we can make use of our population.

Second does Count Chance of Bardhill have any feats to his name? If so it might be worth making a simple artefact sometime in the next few months. The artefact would be made out of marble and steel which will harness the power of light to detect the vampire in his kings court and give him the protection to bring it to justice for spying. While this would take some time it has the potential to a) strike a blow against the drowish enemy b) turn the human kingdom against the Drow, gaining us an ally in a potential war c) strengthen the hand of our ally the Count which might be handy in the coming civil war and increase our influence over him. 

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2017, 04:36:02 pm »

Personally I'd love some of that red troll hide, especially if we make a ring for the troll slayer. F is by far the best option though, as we can harvest them should anything happen. Give the gold to find the sorcerer.

Perhaps we should go meet the dragon personally, not with a gift though, we will bring something greater... The promise of a legendary artifact crafted by one of the first diggers. Just an idea thoughts on that?

Also, about the highborn dwarf that wishes to learn steel, perhaps we could have him apprentice under us?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2017, 06:18:41 pm »

Troops lounging around a tower consume no more fore than troops lounging your city.
Neat! I'll edit the plan accordingly.

Also agree on the work order, however as the goblins cost no food they should be activated to transport the brick if the trade deal is concluded before the end of the month.
I assume you mean hobgoblin driver; our goblin warslaves are military units, so I don't think they can perform transport duty.

Spending the 2 food and 10 marble to make a farm at Tunnel's mouth (assuming the land is suitable for farming) under the guard of our watch tower seems like a prudent idea, the more food we can produce the more we can make use of our population.
I'd rather save the marble and use bricks for a quarry. Our limiting factor right now is lack of buildings/infrastructure to spend FU on, rather than food to activate it. Another farm would let us throw military weight around more freely and trade more, but neither seems like it'd give us a great deal at the moment.

Second does Count Chance of Bardhill have any feats to his name? If so it might be worth making a simple artefact sometime in the next few months. The artefact would be made out of marble and steel which will harness the power of light to detect the vampire in his kings court and give him the protection to bring it to justice for spying. While this would take some time it has the potential to a) strike a blow against the drowish enemy b) turn the human kingdom against the Drow, gaining us an ally in a potential war c) strengthen the hand of our ally the Count which might be handy in the coming civil war and increase our influence over him. 
Perhaps we should go meet the dragon personally, not with a gift though, we will bring something greater... The promise of a legendary artifact crafted by one of the first diggers. Just an idea thoughts on that?
I assume if Count Chance had any deeds we'd have noticed them by now. Based on the dragon's... tense reply, I suspect she has little appreciation for us or our works.

Also, I'd like to try repeating the process of our first son with a more pleasant artifact for our second child.

Also, about the highborn dwarf that wishes to learn steel, perhaps we could have him apprentice under us?
This is a good idea.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2017, 11:13:29 pm »

Neat! I'll edit the plan accordingly.

I assume you mean hobgoblin driver; our goblin warslaves are military units, so I don't think they can perform transport duty.

I'd rather save the marble and use bricks for a quarry. Our limiting factor right now is lack of buildings/infrastructure to spend FU on, rather than food to activate it. Another farm would let us throw military weight around more freely and trade more, but neither seems like it'd give us a great deal at the moment.

I assume if Count Chance had any deeds we'd have noticed them by now. Based on the dragon's... tense reply, I suspect she has little appreciation for us or our works.

Also, I'd like to try repeating the process of our first son with a more pleasant artifact for our second child.

This is a good idea.
Possibility: The Count IS the vampire, and THAT is why we can't detect any feats on him, He's already Dead!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2017, 01:07:41 am »

Doubtful. I mean, he might just be a duke who never did anything impressive? Whose to say the dead can't have feats anyways? Might just be so long as sentient

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2017, 01:15:42 am »

If you look under the Silent Hammers Spoiler, you will see that you have 5 FU of Military Goblins, and 5 LU of Civilian Goblins.

---

"You think rounding up strung out Junkies is tough?
Just pray the Smith Lord never sends us against the
people providing their supply.

Corporal Thand Urist, Silent Hammers Militia

Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire, Refuge Queen of Silent Hammers, Empress Consort of the Southernfrost, and Queen Consort of Bedlamb and the Marble City

Refuge City of Silent Hammers

You take the three Red Troll orphans home with you, and ordered that they be kept in the same public nursery as your son and provided Wetnurses. Baby trolls, as it turns out, eat much more than baby diggers, so it winds up taking three nurses to feed each orphan.

Also, upon returning home and finding out about the eagle attack, you provide your mother-in-law with the coin she needs to hunt down the sorcerer/werebeing.

---

With your dwarf highborn population back in place to help run things, you decide to plan another trip out to the Trollish Wastes, to meet with the summoner's insect colony and potentially other savages as well. While you are meeting with Brother Anders to discuss what you will expect from his weremule monks on this journey, your steward Bort hurriedly enters the room and interrupts.

"My queen! I think Donna Sherry, leader of the halfling drug runners, has a spy in your court!" He stammers.

"...What makes you say that, Bort?"

"Well... she is just outside, demanding to meet with you about the very trip to the Trollish Wastes you are planning. I don't think anybody outside your inner circle knows about that."

"Oh."

You recall Branding Iron telling you that Donna Sherry was the only other Halfling don aside from himself not opposed to the expansion of Silent Hammer's economy, but you know little else about her. The fact that she knew about your travel plans so quickly is more than a bit disturbing.

Do you grant Donna Sherry an audience? If so, who from your court do you invite as well?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2017, 01:44:58 am »

Meet with her in private with only our bodyguards. 

While we might make her an ally, I would prefer it is kept out of sight as much as possible.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2017, 01:57:56 am »

Whoops, we have goblin civilians after all. Poor neglected goblin civilians. Who I assume only want to kill.

Meet with her in private with only our bodyguards. 

While we might make her an ally, I would prefer it is kept out of sight as much as possible.
I'd rather bring Ukareem. His insight was invaluable in our meeting with Branding Iron, and he's our husband so we shouldn't have to worry about him knowing about anything.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18