Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord  (Read 20391 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2017, 05:37:00 am »

If Mril-Minda is not currently married then we should also put out feelers to an eventual marriage alliance between her and Mril-Minda. (What effect would that have on our relationship with the boy's father? Would he accept that this would be the best way for the boy to grow to his full glory?)
Mril-Minda is not only married, but to the Don's son and happily at that. Not seeing a clean way out of this, though brute-forcing it with artifacts might be a possibility.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2017, 07:29:21 am »

The current marriage is a problem, but not an insurmountable one.

The fact that Dremscythe is our first born (even assuming he would automatically considered heir to both kingdoms) is less of a problem, surely Emscythe will see that while his son is destined for greatness it is unlikely to be as a ruler. We have given Dremscythe his destiny, it falls to us to ease his path along it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2017, 08:33:38 am »

even assuming he would automatically considered heir to both kingdoms

Not an assumption. It's a fact.

(Infant Son) Prince Dremscythe, Heir to Silent Hammers and the Marble City

And, I'm not exactly certain if taking away the throne from someone destined to be a really good assasin is a good idea.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2017, 10:34:12 am »

We do not need to demand he be an assassin.  We train him as a warrior and combat leader and he can kill people in battle.

Then when he comes of age he can murder all the halfling criminals, a thing we were planning to do anyway, and take the mask.

If he dies in combat we will not have to worry about it any more, if he lives though massive amounts of combat then he will be a strong military leader.

Long term plans are good but we just need to take it a few years at a time with this.  Train him in combat and destructive magics, leading troops and such.  Send him to raid our enemies to bring back loot.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2017, 11:35:47 am »

"We tell master we no eat,
master tell us till mah fields.

We tell master we want blood
master tell us till mah fields."

-Goblin Spiritual

Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire, Refuge Queen of Silent Hammers, Empress Consort of the Southernfrost, and Queen Consort of Bedlamb and the Marble City
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Refuge City of Silent Hammers

You issue commands for your workers and troops, and retire to spend the rest of the month recovering from your trance, spending time with your infant son, and awaiting reports from the field.

---

A little more than a month passes. Dremscythe has started to eat some gruel, but is still dependent on his wetnurse. Reports from the Field arrive.

Report on the Construction of the Dung Slopes Fungal Farm:

Report on Resource Gathering in the Pinewoods:

Report on Tower Construction at Tunnel's Mouth:

After reading the reports, you call your court to session to learn of other events that have transpired of late, while also consulting with the World Weld to see if any new feats are present in town.

Monthly Report:

How do you proceed? Feel free to interact with NPCs for a few updates before doleing out the monthly orders. Check the 'Silent Hammers' spoiler for the details on your new buildings.

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2017, 12:57:19 pm »

Let's hold off on the investigation of the powerful sorcerer until we go to meet the dragon.

I also think we should give Iron Brand and Mithra guards.

Let's have that audience with Neptune, with a bodyguard present of course

I'm down to send for one of the not emscythe kings. I only say that because I don't want animosity to grow between the kings from us only focusing on 1 of them.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2017, 05:54:20 pm »

"In my experience, when you have both wealth and power,
Everybody wants to be your friend."

-The Collected Writings of All-Lord Ukareem the Silver

Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire, Refuge Queen of Silent Hammers, Empress Consort of the Southernfrost, and Queen Consort of Bedlamb and the Marble City

You summon Brother Anders and the weremules to watch your back, before sending word to Prince Neptune that you will see him at once.

When Neptune arrives, you note he looks little like a prince. The drugar wears well worn scholarly robes and is poorly groomed. The only hints that the digger before you is not some begger off the street are that he wears a diamond necklace, and he speaks with a refined accent that leads you to believe he is well educated.

"Greetings, great queen. I am glad to see that you have gotten over whatever has had you indisposed for the past few months. I have been looking foward to meeting you; Secretary General Emscythe speaks very highly of his new wife."

"You are on speaking terms with the Scholar-King? You don't look it." You reply bluntly.

"Oh... Um... Right, my dress. Sorry about that, the prince stammers, "See... this is my first every trip away from my hometown, I'm afraid, and I was stupid enough to think I could make the journey with one set of clothes. Your husband mentioned off hand that you have both Bloodstone and Deep Saphire stored away, and no real means to make use of them, so left for Silent Hammers the very next day."

"Bloodstone and Deep Sapphire? You would purchase them from me?"

"Purchase?" The Drugar blinks, "Oh heavens no, I came here to ask you for money... I mean... you see... Back home I was a scholar of minerals, but also torture master at my father's dungeon. Over the past twenty years I have been... speaking to... a Drowish master gemsmith who resided at my place of employment, and taking careful notes on our conversations. I've tinkered with a small scale gemforge myself, and am now confident that I could run a larger scale operation."

"How much larger?" You inquire.

"I'm talking military scale, great queen. You give me funds to get set up, and I will be able to oversee the rapid conversion your stocks of magical gems and stones into weapons of war or... um... trade goods." He pauses for a second, to collect himself, "I'd imagine just the presence of such a forge would create a demand for taxable gem imports as well."

"And how much support do you require to get started?"

"Um... erm... 10 Wealth, great queen. Yeah. 10 Wealth," he sputters.

You pause for a second. "So let me get this straight: You traveled all this way just to sell a forge to somebody known as The Smith Lord? If nothing else, you have some serious guts Prince. As for your proposal..."

The deal has its ups and downs. On the positive side, you don't presently have any use for you gems other than artifact creation, so a gem forge would be of great use to you in the short run. Bedlamb, the nation ruled by Bloodlord Haigen, is known for its gem mines, so you even have a potential long term gem supply as well (assuming you can smuggle such imports past the Pinewoods Tribes).

On the downside, you are pretty sure Neptune's little project would attract him a good deal of negative attention from the Hobbit Dons. You also find Prince Neptune somewhat unimpressive, and have your doubts that he is the sort of person to be trusted running such a large operation - you suspect most princes would be trusted with jobs a bit more significant than 'torture master'. Lastly, you are fairly sure that embracing the Drowish art of Gemsmithing, especially before you establish large scale metalworking, may leave a bitter taste in the mouth of some of your digger subjects.

Note: I just did the Neptune meeting because I was stuck in a waiting room for an hour with nothing better to do. Please feel free to continue responding to the previous update I posted this morning as well.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2017, 06:20:36 pm »

I'd like to travel to our sorceror husband, but I think we're better off summoning our dwarf husband to even out our lineage. Staying here is also far more convenient, of course.

We should definitely meet with Prince Whatsit. Hm... I love the idea, but I don't want to anger the diggers and I'd like to get some padding to ensure the operation is qualified. Let's see if we can sandbag him a bit, saying we'd need to see the process succeed on a small scale before we can commit to a larger one. This will buy time, give us a chance to accumulate competent people around him, and see exactly what's involved and where the rough edges are. If he could bring this drow master gemsmith over better yet, though obviously the matter is somewhat out of his hands. Maybe we could exchange letters? They'd probably let a prisoner respond to letters from an allied queen.

We should meet with Don Branding Iron. To agree to his request, but also catch up with a good friend. And see if he has any particular opinions on our gem forge.

It's technically official plan business, but I think we should attend the highborn hunt. Should be a good learning/hobnobbing experience.

We should meet with our staff/court to discuss the feasibility and requirements to import stone, and the properties and feasibility of importing clay.

I guess we probably should pay the dragon a polite house call, taking our mother in law on the trip there at least so she can tell if it's the sorc or not. If not, we should give her the wealth to track him down.

EDIT: I forgot, we should talk with our hobgoblin slavedriver about what a goblin tribe is liable to be like and want, other than freeing slaves.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:29:27 pm by IronyOwl »
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2017, 06:56:49 pm »

+1 to everything Irony said

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2017, 07:16:42 pm »

Just my Idea, But we might want to take a walk around the city, see if we can meet up with the dragon as they would likely be fairly good to know even if we can't find any way to get them involved.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2017, 10:32:40 pm »

We do not need to do everything ourselves, lets send our mother in law to the dragon.  Just meet and greet.  Explain that we consider having them in the town an honor and we will let them stay hidden and not disturb their lives.  Also offer that we can forge artifacts for both parties if they wanted to donate to us... but that would need to be negotiated separately.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2017, 11:20:17 pm »

"Ingur found lady Ingrid crying in her chambers.
'What is wrong with her?' asked he.
'She just found out how Bugbears are born,'
answered her handmaiden."

-The Romance of Ingur the Gold

"So let me get this straight: You traveled all this way just to sell a forge to somebody known as The Smith Lord? If nothing else, you have some serious guts Prince. As for your proposal... I'm willing to give you a shot, but only if you prove your skill to me. My servants will send you some bloodstone; Use it in your craft, impress me with the results, and we shall talk."

Prince Neptune nods, and takes his leave. "T-thank you great queen. I will not... erm... disappoint you."

---

You summon your court for some discussion. The first order of business at hand is the goblin tribe near your farm. Hxnub, the Hobgoblin who leads your slave army steps up to reply.

"Bugbears are nearly as large as hill giants, and nearly as magical as elder hags," he explains, "but they are very wicked and unpredictable, which makes them hard to negotiate with. They are created when a Hobgoblin such as myself rapes a civilized female of noble birth or employment, who must then fall pregnant and commit suicide before giving birth. They are usually the personification of their father's evil, mother's shame, and own feelings of abandonment."

Hxnub drums his fingers upon his forearm, breaking the skin with his sharp claws and causing droplets of black blood to form. "They cannot be considered 'rational', in that one should not safely assume a Bugbear to value self preservation or his own interests. It is possible to tame a bugbear by giving it a Dark Fortress and fancy title to improve its self confidence, while tending to its needs to show that you care, but it is usually simpler to massacre its clan, put it in chains, and force it to make goblins for you under threat of torture."

Captain Balrogsim, your siege commander, chimes in next. "The ones by the farm may avoid messing with us, as like most savage tribes, they fear the retribution that comes with messing with the civilized. As the Hobgoblin said, however, Bugbears don't always behave in a predictable fashion, so we can't count of fear to keep that tribe in check forever."

Next you bring up the idea of importing stone or clay. Your advisors quickly agree that while it would be feasible to import rock from The Greatwalls Alliance, it would be much more efficient to purchase bricks from Goldears.

"They have such a surplus of building materials," your steward Bort explains, "that they could afford to turn over an entire marble quarry over to you. The city of Goldears is so close to us, that our traders can make multiple runs a month to boot."

Trade Mechanics:

---

After the rest of your court departs, you instruct Bort to write a letter to All-Lord Ukareem, inviting him to return to your side so that he may father your second child.

---

Your messenger to Branding Iron requesting that he appear before you returns with bad news. The Don has apparently suffered a recent fall, and does not wish to appear weak by appearing in public with a leg brace on. Still eager to meet however, Samwise has invited you (and as many bodyguards as you choose to bring) to visit him at his hole for second breakfast tomorrow. After some pondering you accept.

The following morning, you leave your apartment with Trumil, Brother Anders, and three of his best weremule monks in tow. On your way to Branding Iron's place, you stop outside of the Hobbit Hole where the dragon and its lover dwell, explain what you think might be inside, and ask the hag if she thinks her sorcerer might be a dragon.

You mother-in-law shakes her head. "A dragon that old and wise would be able to conceal its power from me... and even if it wasn't, the signal is not stronger here than it is at your home, dearrie."

---

A few minutes later, you and your party find yourself settling in around a breakfast table at Don Huck's hobbit hole, which is located two doors down from the Dragon on the hillside against the city wall: just outside your jurisdiction.

After the Don introduces you to his daughter and two sons, the pair of you get right down to business. You ask about the trade convoy, and the adorable criminal quickly gives as honest of an answer as he is capable of.

"I don't want to... how you say... get your hopes up Queen Wordfire, but this could be a very big windfall for you. Assuming neither my client nor those blasted Pinewoods Tribes mess with me, I can promise your cut will at the very least include coin and bars of workable iron. There is a chance you may even do better than that..."

"You think your traders can do better for a Smith Lord than smelted Iron?" You reply with an intrigued chuckle.

"That... gift... I gave you on our last meeting had to come from somewhere, right?" The Don answers with a sly grin.

---

After a few glasses of Halfling citruswine, your tongue loosens a bit and you decide to ask about the hobbit hole two doors down. If Samwise is the dragon's neighbor, perhaps he knows something.

"Hmmm.... You have heard the stories then," Branding Iron replies, twirling an olive on a toothpick around his drink, "I as well am... fascinated... by the halfling who lives there. His name is Pill Cherryweather, but most of my lot just call him 'Lazybones'. He is the grandson of my dear industry loving friend Don Cherryweather of the Thieves Guild. Bastard has never... worked... a day in his life, but he is somehow richer than anyone I know. I'll bet he has more coin than your damn treasury."

"And he has this real creepy mistress to boot." Chimes in Glenwise Huck, Branding Iron's second son and husband to Mril-Minda. "Prettiest hobbit I've ever laid eyes on, but also the scariest. She is from the far south, only in town a few weeks out of the year, and I think she is a ranking member of the clergy of the Red Dragon faith down there. Her eyes are like the fires of hell itself, and any fellow who makes a move on her winds up a charred corpse in the alley."

Glenwise offers a wicked smirk. "But I think she is gonna get whats coming to her now - thanks to you. My wife has always wanted to kill off Pill's bitch. A few of those charred ally bodies were friends of ours, and she can't stand the fact that the stranger is pretty enough to catch my eye. That mask will give my love the confidence she needs to make a move... the stranger is lucky Mril-Minda was already out of town hunting Drow when she turned up this time."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2017, 12:22:48 am »

Man boosting a murderer's murdering potential to mythical levels keeps coming back to haunt us. Next time we fall pregnant we should try making a nice artifact, see if it keeps producing flowers everywhere we go.

We should probably request nobody mess with Pill's mistress for both of their sakes, explaining that we have some interest in her ourselves and that she may be more dangerous than she appears.

I'd like to go pay the lovebirds a visit personally after Don's visit, but otherwise we should assemble a plan for the coming month.

Speaking of which, can we build multiple things in the same slot? Specifically a second farm at Dung Heap.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2017, 12:30:29 am »

Sure. Wouldn't recommend putting too much pillage-able shit in one place without a place to house troops nearby though.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 01:47:06 am »

The Plan
Work Dung Heap Farm
-2 FU Human Commoners
-2 FU Hobbit Commoners
-2 FU Assorted/Mixed Diggers
-3 FU Human Phalanx (escort)

Garrison Axeltax
-3 FU Human Phalanx

Escort Branding Iron's Convoy
-3 FU Rangers (x2 in woodlands, no cost)
-2 FU Human Phalanx (no cost)

Hunt Trolls
-2 FU Dwarf Nobles (voluntary, no cost)
-4 FU Dwarf/Drugar Militia (x1.3 underground)
-Ourselves and anyone else from our court who wants to come along

Trade Wealth for Bricks at Goldears
-4 FU Drugar Highborn (x3 effectiveness)

20 (paid) FU total, -4 Food
+6 Food (Dung Heap Farm)
+2 Wealth (Axeltax)
-?? Wealth, +?? Bricks (Goldears Trading)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18