Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27

Author Topic: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.  (Read 54776 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.
« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2017, 12:24:15 am »

@bloop_bleep: It'd be responsible and sane decision to set aside enough water for hospitals.
What do you mean "responsible" and "sane"? This is Dwarf fucking Fortress.

The only water we have on the whole map is in a small cavern lake, which isn't even connected to the border, so (I think?) can't refill.

And, of course, there's no water on the surface.

Is there any possible way to get a renewable water source without hacking? If not, could I pleeeeeeaase set some water source tiles around the cavern border?

BTW, my idea is spoilered down below. The small embark size (thus little lag) and ready availability of magma is perfect for its design.

Spoiler: Get ready for it... (click to show/hide)

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2017, 12:07:27 pm »

I think it can't refill, but I'd try exposing small section to the surface and seeing if rains refills it, then kill the process. Since the biome is warm, you probably can't freeze-multiply it. However, looking at the map, you possibly could retire the fort and embark nearby once or twice till you reach river to create a water tunnel that leads back to the fort and then use adventure mode to get the water to fill a cistern on embark via stepped reservoirs.

(Judging by the quote of zazq in the OP, lack of water is intended part of the challenge, but it's up to the other players whether they want that challenge and if you want to be responsible and sane.)

Spoiler: "reply to spoiler" (click to show/hide)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2017, 12:51:21 pm »

The only water we have on the whole map is in a small cavern lake, which isn't even connected to the border, so (I think?)
Is there any possible way to get a renewable water source without hacking? If not, could I pleeeeeeaase set some water source tiles around the cavern border?

Hmm... the Mad Queen is considering your request...

I want to just say yes... but we know this isn't that easy. What we need is a challenge that you must overcome in order to do this. I'll think about a challenge idea, but does anybody else have any ideas for potential challenges?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 03, 2017, 01:15:59 pm »

Uh -- I messed up with the tree farm excavation project and Doctor Sock was crushed in a cave-in.

Was a pretty big cave-in too. Basically a large chunk (7 x 20 or something like that) of the floor just came crashing down through several z-levels. Caused quite a bit of dust.

It felt vaguely satisfying....

EDIT: K, silk farm chamber is dug out, baited, and smoothed. Time to release Ludosm.

EDIT 2: Is it okay if I use the miner nicknamed "Shovel"? He probably won't survive his initial encounter.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:58:37 pm by bloop_bleep »
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 03, 2017, 02:58:05 pm »

Uh -- I messed up with the tree farm excavation project and Doctor Sock was crushed in a cave-in.
Wut

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 03, 2017, 03:00:24 pm »

Wut

Yeah. Sorry.

Fake-edit: Oh wait, wasn't he your dwarfing's husband? Well, guess I'm not neutral anymore.

EDIT: Initial attempt was botched due to me pulling the wrong bridge lever. Dig task canceled before the entirety of Ludosm's fury was unleashed upon the fortress. Guess I must have written the notes wrong.

Oh well. Here goes attempt two...

EDIT 2: Second guy is called Pickle.

EDIT 3: Huh. Interesting. When I forbade all the doors in the bait passage, Ludosm did nothing. As soon as I unforbade one of them Ludosm came streaming down the hallway like a lightning bolt. Didn't try to attack the miner yet, which was odd, but it might decide to so soon enough.

Ah, wait, it just started spraying webs at the miner. Glorious.

Oh god, it bit off his head in one hit. Jesus.

EDIT 4: I have decided that me, personally, will be the one to lock in Ludosm. Though by god, the thing is *slow* at destroying doors. Probably should have put less bait.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:24:54 pm by bloop_bleep »

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 03, 2017, 06:11:28 pm »

Fake-edit: Oh wait, wasn't he your dwarfing's husband? Well, guess I'm not neutral anymore.

It begins again.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2017, 06:39:51 pm »

*yawns* I was awoken by the sound of hatred and revenge. Point me towards the object of your displeasure.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 03, 2017, 11:56:12 pm »

How many miniature civil wars are even going on in this fort now?

Oh god, it bit off his head in one hit. Jesus.

まみモグモグw
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:00:32 am by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2017, 12:21:03 am »

Computer crashed and reverted the save back to when I had just completed the chamber. Lost a lot of my progress planning my secret project as well.

Also:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:27:58 am by bloop_bleep »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2017, 06:16:02 am »

Could it be that some of those doors have ramps before them? Doors with ramps on both sides are untargetable by building destroyers, even when unforbidden.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2017, 08:21:59 am »

How many miniature civil wars are even going on in this fort now?

Not enough.

Computer crashed and reverted the save back to when I had just completed the chamber. Lost a lot of my progress planning my secret project as well.

Also:

Sorry about the crash and over-sized tree farm!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2017, 09:19:00 am »

Couldn't you do the project above ground?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2017, 10:05:11 am »

Could it be that some of those doors have ramps before them? Doors with ramps on both sides are untargetable by building destroyers, even when unforbidden.
No, Ludosm *was* destroying the doors (the doors had damage indicators when I hovered over them with 't'), it was just very slow.

Couldn't you do the project above ground?
I could, but it's significantly harder than doing it below ground, since you have to come up with all the materials and build up all the scaffolding. Plus the water & magma pumps would be taller.

I'll see if I can find some other, perhaps taller free space to dig it out, but on a 1x1 embark, there's not many options.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2017, 10:10:42 am »

Wait, doors have damage indicators when they are knocked down by a building destroyer?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27