Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Culture Wars - debate and discussion  (Read 18103 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Wars - debate and discussion
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2017, 09:08:08 pm »

Let me give a real example:

http://time.com/3653871/womens-bathroom-lines-sexist-potty-parity/
After counting the women, I tweeted, “Dear @britishmuseum there are FIFTY women and girls standing in line for the loo while the men’s room has zero line #everydaysexism.”

Soraya Chemaly known from the Huffington Post says it's "everyday sexism" that there's no difference between male and female public bathrooms. Planners did not make assumptions about genders at all, now that's sexist against one gender and not the other.

This is in contrast to other times. If boys are falling behind because of some systemic issue e.g. college admission rates, the same feminists will happily point out that the school system is gender neutral, since you all do the same curriculum therefore the outcome that three girls will graduate college for every two boys is fair.

This is a clear double standard. One cannot claim that any time a gender neutral thing doesn't favor women it's sexist for not taking gender into account, but any time a gender neutral thing doesn't favor men that's fair because the system shouldn't take gender into account. You either do both or you do neither.

And a big chunk of the population missing out on a college education is in fact a much more alarming social issue that having to wait to take a piss.

~~~

EDIT: actually can you imagine the outrage if building planners actually tried to fix the thing Soraya Chemaly was talking about. They can ... either assume ladies take a longer time in the bathroom than men ("sexist stereotypes of ladies bathroom behavior!") or they could put men and women together into unisex toilets ("women unsafe in the bathroom!"). Either way, i think building planners more safely say "we're not assuming anything about gender".

EDIT2: I'm also wondering about the event at the British Museum that Soraya Chemaly was going to. She's a hardline feminist, it could have been some sort of "women's history" exhibit. Perhaps there just weren't that many men at the event? I wouldn't put it past her.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:20:59 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2017, 09:15:51 pm »

fundamental logical application of the concepts remains useful.

Sorry I'm not clear what you mean by "the concepts" specifically here, so I don't want to counter that. Can you be more explicit as to what you're refering to?

"Treating people the same" and "acceding to demands of microaggression advocates" are different things in my mind.

Many of the example of microaggressions do not revolve around people being treated the same, they are saying that some people should be treated differently, because we need to be super-sensitive about different identities. Now that's a bigger minefield by far.

Thats..... a heck of a cognitive dissonance, they want 100% equality and yet they want to treat others differently.

Also, that's the 'cultural appropriation' you're talking about, I think, which is kind of BS. If people from said culture complain about it, okay, that's fair, but for an outsider to do it seems kind of silly.
It is the nature of the extremist to be a contradiction. also cultural appropriation has a specific definition, mainly taking someone elses important traditions and unique cultural aspects and using them in a way that would be seen as disrespectful by their originators. neo pagans would be cultural appropriators as would people using native American head dresses in stupid ways.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2017, 09:16:53 pm »

After counting the women, I tweeted, “Dear @britishmuseum there are FIFTY women and girls standing in line for the loo while the men’s room has zero line #everydaysexism.”

Soraya Chemaly known from the Huffington Post says it's "everyday sexism" that there's no difference between male and female public bathrooms. Planners did not make assumptions about genders at all, now that's sexist against one gender and not the other.

This is in contrast to other times. If boys are falling behind because of some systemic issue e.g. college admission rates, the same feminists will happily point out that the school system is gender neutral, since you all do the same curriculum therefore the outcome that three girls will graduate college for every two boys is fair.

This is a clear double standard. One cannot claim that any time a gender neutral thing doesn't favor women it's sexist for not taking gender into account, but any time a gender neutral thing doesn't favor men that's fair because the system shouldn't take gender into account. You either do both or you do neither.

And a big chunk of the population missing out on a college education is in fact a much more alarming social issue that having to wait to take a piss.
I agree that this person is an idiot.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2017, 09:22:45 pm »

fundamental logical application of the concepts remains useful.

Sorry I'm not clear what you mean by "the concepts" specifically here, so I don't want to counter that. Can you be more explicit as to what you're refering to?

"Treating people the same" and "acceding to demands of microaggression advocates" are different things in my mind.

Many of the example of microaggressions do not revolve around people being treated the same, they are saying that some people should be treated differently, because we need to be super-sensitive about different identities. Now that's a bigger minefield by far.

Thats..... a heck of a cognitive dissonance, they want 100% equality and yet they want to treat others differently.

Also, that's the 'cultural appropriation' you're talking about, I think, which is kind of BS. If people from said culture complain about it, okay, that's fair, but for an outsider to do it seems kind of silly.
It is the nature of the extremist to be a contradiction. also cultural appropriation has a specific definition, mainly taking someone elses important traditions and unique cultural aspects and using them in a way that would be seen as disrespectful by their originators. neo pagans would be cultural appropriators as would people using native American head dresses in stupid ways.

Technically neo-pagans are reviving a dead culture, so, I don't see how that is cultural appropriation because theres nobody from the previous culture to offend. Unless you're afraid of ghosts.

Using Native American headgear or other stuff in dumb/stupid and stereotypical ways, yeah, that would be an appropriate application of it.

Though I'm sure theres a difference between 'you're doing it wrong!' and 'you're doing it offensively!'.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:25:54 pm by smjjames »

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2017, 09:33:31 pm »

It's sad that people actually expect equality between genders and race then act the way they do.
××××××××××××××××××

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2017, 09:35:32 pm »

I agree that this person is an idiot.

That person is claiming that because women have an uterus, they piss more, pfft.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2017, 09:51:20 pm »

Another issue is the hand wringing over their not being enough suitable mates for the growing number of professional women.

Get used to that, girls. It's just how it is when there are 3 female college graduates for each 2 male college graduates, and almost all female college graduates expect a male college graduate to pair up with. 1 in 3 female graduates isn't going to find anyone, after the 2 male college grads pair up with the other 2 female college grads.

And isn't this also classist? If college-educated women find they have less dating options (self imposed mind you), then non-college-educated women must have more options. What's a loss for one woman's dating pool is a win for another's.

Similarly in Japan where they're blaming "herbivore men" for the declining birth rate. When ... I saw an article citing that 60% of Japanese young women want to get married and have kids as soon as they can find someone making over X amount of dollars, and that amount was only earned by 5% of Japanese men under 40. Half the female population chasing just 5% of the male population, and seeing anything less as seriously "settling" surely can't be part of the problem?

Basically if one gender is holding out for a basically non-existent standard and not willing to cut the other gender an inch to make that standard achievable then ... I can't be sympathetic. Just don't have kids then, it's nobody else's problem.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:58:08 pm by Reelya »

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2017, 09:55:58 pm »

Preach
××××××××××××××××××

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2017, 09:57:10 pm »

I think its just women potentially spend more time in the bathroom. Be it fiddling with makeup or feminine care stuff like tampons.  Also, at least back in high school days, girls often went to the restroom in groups.  Its entirely the fault of other women, be it biologically or behaviorally.  No sexism there.

The only other reason there can be is that men's urinals are more space efficient than full stalls.  The idea of a female urinal has existed for decades but for a number of reasons it was never embraced.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2017, 09:57:14 pm »

I guess guys better practice their mating displays and dances then.

(sarcasm, obviously)

edit: that was at Reelya, not mrroboto.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2017, 09:58:34 pm »

I've heard Japan's having major marriage issues because the work ethic is as such that people practically only work and sleep.  No time for building a family.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2017, 09:59:49 pm »

I've heard Japan's having major marriage issues because the work ethic is as such that people practically only work and sleep.  No time for building a family.

That's a cultural issue though, not a gender issue.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2017, 10:02:37 pm »

Preach

Sure you can call it preaching, but there are quite a few articles complaining about the issue. And arguably the inability to find a suitable life partner is much more devasating problem for real actual women than most of the stuff feminist bloggers spend their time writing about. Let me cite a few articles:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2012/12/05/why-are-so-many-professional-millennial-women-unable-to-find-dateable-men/#11dd1b7e8486
https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/07/06/has-being-single-in-america-changed/for-the-college-educated-there-is-a-man-deficit-in-the-us
http://jezebel.com/5955271/your-marriage-will-be-happier-if-your-husband-is-better-educated-than-you
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/these-women-cant-find-enough-marriageable-men/
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3bj5yv/youre-single-because-there-arent-enough-men-253

The lack of male college graduates is a bad thing, but only insofar as it inconveniences women.

What I think this actually illustrates is that favoring one gender over the other, in any endeavour, ends up harming both genders.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:23:38 pm by Reelya »

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2017, 10:07:14 pm »

So how do we improve the mating dances?
I know I need to kill a few creatures, I'm lost on the rest
××××××××××××××××××

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher