Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Culture Wars - debate and discussion  (Read 18078 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Wars - debate and discussion
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2017, 01:11:10 am »

That's a false equivalence.

She made a "damned if you do / damned if you don't set" up.

It's a "no matter what you do, you lose" scenario. But ... she is the one who had the choice to make videos about whatever she wants. She chose to set up that particilur scenario instead of e.g. spending that time making entirely different videos about actual problems that face women in real life, in a way that helps women. About any of a million topics. And if she did that, there would be nothing to criticize.

An analogy would be a rigged deck of cards, where you can only draw the ace of spades or ace of hearts (the other 50 cards cannot be drawn because of the rigged deck). And whichever you draw there's a specific narrative attached. Pointing out that it's a false choice isn't also creating a false choice. It was her rigged deck we're talking about, not mine. If the deck wasn't rigged to start with, any one of 52 cards could have been drawn and there would be no narrative.

So did I create a damned if you do / damned if you don't trap for her? I don't think so. My one was "damned if you make a entrapment video" but there's no equivalent "damned if you don't make an entrapment video" clause in my critique. And the set of possible videos she could have made instead of that one is almost infinite, it's not 50/50.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:26:10 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2017, 01:37:11 am »

Except you don't know it was a damned if you don't part. I mean, sure editing is magic, but you don't know she'd have edited her purposefully stupid period statement out to make a mainsplaining thing. You're assuming that because you don't like her. You're just projecting your feelings about feminists on her, and then using that to justify your feelings about feminists.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2017, 01:40:34 am »

I do have a good hunch, because the exact same person is known for her other videos which are about mansplaining.

It's like saying that you don't know for certain when your cat is attacking a mouse that it intends to eat that particular mouse, disregarding the fact that it's well known for eating mice.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2017, 01:41:26 am »

I do have a good hunch, because the exact same person is known for her other videos which are about mansplaining.

Where she purposefully say dumb stuff to force men to correct her?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2017, 01:43:25 am »

btw it's allie kokesh if you'd like to check it out.

In one of her other videos on mansplaining, the subtitle basically accuses men of mansplaining mansplaining. It was what she made right after the periods video. So it's good evidence she had mansplaining in mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=696DSEIaF5g

The period video came out just before that one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb-VhA6YZmE

Here's she's attacking men for not fact-checking details about how menstruation works. But if they'd been knowlegeable she could easily have made it a mansplaining video. Even if she asked them, the very idea of a man explaining female reproductive facts to a woman would have been mansplaining evidence 101.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:53:46 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2017, 01:52:34 am »

You know that not all correcting of women falls under mansplaining, even if done by a man, right? Mansplaining is when you talk over her because she's a women, even though she might be more qualified/know more than you. Of course, there is a lot of scope for disagreement abut specific cases (Did he do it because she was a woman? Or was it just that he really believed she was wrong? Or did she believe she was more qualified but wasn't?), but correcting someone who is saying factually incorrect stuff clearly is not.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2017, 01:56:31 am »

A guy explaining periods to a woman would be mansplaining even by the very narrow definition.

But what are considered mansplaining examples:

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/a9171951/mansplaining-tweets/

Obstetrician disagreed that my baby was about to come. Mansplained & left for soda. 3 mins later: Baby born, no doc in room

Well I think this is debatable. Is the doctor disagreeing on a medical diagnosis with a patient, because it's the patient's body, a mansplainer? Cosmopolitan thinks so. Doctors do get it wrong sometimes, but I'd hope less often than they are right and the patient is wrong.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:09:21 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2017, 02:08:55 am »

If he didn't listen to what the female patient was saying, yup that could be. Or not and that's a misuse of the term. Hard to get context from one one-side tweet.

Why don't you send that youtuber a PM asking, "My female friend said *non-sense about periods*, should I correct her or would that be mansplaining", in a way that make it sound like you're genuinely concerned. We can make it a bet: if she says it is, I will post pro-Maduro stuff for a month, if she says it's not, you go and make an argument on the NK thread for why their nuke-tipped ICBM will be coming any time soon.  :P

P.S. Also, you do love to cherry-pick, don't you. Let's look at all the other tweet from that clickbaity list of a link:

One or two of those might be defendable if you want to be very generous to the guy, but most are... Well, good exemple of what mansplaining is I guess?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:14:50 am by Sheb »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2017, 02:10:01 am »

What if you are a doctor and patients are always telling you what they think is going on and they're almost always wrong? Should you listen and base your diagnosis on that?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:13:11 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2017, 02:16:02 am »

What if you are a doctor and patients are always telling you what they think is going on and they're almost always wrong? Should you listen and base your diagnosis on that?

Well, if she tells you she's feeling intensifying contraction, she's feeling those. That doesn't mean she's going to give birth.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2017, 02:18:50 am »

For the record I tend to take seriously and double check apparently dissenting opinions from patients and/or lower ladder staff.  It helps to spot dangerous situations early.  Even more important if the health record system is lousy
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2017, 02:25:26 am »

There's some interesting research on the topic of interrupting to say something, which is linked to the mansplaining concept (by people who promote the mansplaining concept):
https://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2015/03/19/google-chief-blasted-for-repeatedly-interrupting-female-government-official/

If a man’s conversational partner was female, he logged an average of 2.1 interruptions over the course of a three-minute dialogue; if his counterpart was male, however, that number dropped to 1.8. Women, too, were less likely to interrupt men than to cut off other women. In each conversation, women interrupted an average of 2.9 times if their partner was female, and just once if their partner was male.

We can see the pattern is not that straightforward when you look at all the data. Women interrupt each other about 50% more than men interrupt women. Women are the interrupting-each-other champions and men are just playing catch-up. If women rarely need to overtly interrupt a man, but still manage to get the same number of words into the conversation, then perhaps that's female mastery of the art of banter at work.

There's no evidence that men talk more than women (or vice versa). If women are being interrupted (by both men and women), it's not leading to a deficit of female talking, only parity.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/do-women-talk-more-than-men/

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:52:05 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2017, 02:59:15 am »

Mind you this doesn't even get into WHY people interrupt one another.

One reason why, for example, women might interrupt women more than men is because they understand where the woman is coming from and thus interject their ideas with their own. This might not be true but the answer isn't necessarily "Because women are sexist towards other women" or at least not exclusively.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2017, 03:04:20 am »

There's some interesting research on the topic of interrupting to say something, which is linked to the mansplaining concept (by people who promote the mansplaining concept):
https://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2015/03/19/google-chief-blasted-for-repeatedly-interrupting-female-government-official/

If a man’s conversational partner was female, he logged an average of 2.1 interruptions over the course of a three-minute dialogue; if his counterpart was male, however, that number dropped to 1.8. Women, too, were less likely to interrupt men than to cut off other women. In each conversation, women interrupted an average of 2.9 times if their partner was female, and just once if their partner was male.

We can see the pattern is not that straightforward when you look at all the data. Women interrupt each other about 50% more than men interrupt women. Women are the interrupting-each-other champions and men are just playing catch-up. If women rarely need to overtly interrupt a man, but still manage to get the same number of words into the conversation, then perhaps that's female mastery of the art of banter at work.

There's no evidence that men talk more than women (or vice versa). If women are being interrupted (by both men and women), it's not leading to a deficit of female talking, only parity.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/do-women-talk-more-than-men/

Great. Now can you tie that into that whole previous argument about how mansplaining is obviously anything explained to a woman, and how that make anyone who ever made a video about mansplaining an hypocrite if they then pretend to have no clue about a subject as a way to see if their male interlocutor know about that subject. (Which granted isn't the best way to go around it, those kind of videos, like the "Dump 'murricans can't put china on a map" video are usually totally pointless).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2017, 04:26:24 am »

A guy explaining periods to a woman would be mansplaining even by the very narrow definition.
I think it's more often called education. Even though males are underrepresented in primary school / highschool (dunno at which age periods and the whole sexual education thing are taught on schools where you live, over here it's primary school, with some expansion into the exact biological workings of reproduction in highschool).
I wouldn't call all those male teachers mansplainers.

Or imagine this hypothetical (but sadly occuring in reality) situation, where a woman has been taught by her mother, who in turn has been taught by her mother that periods are a punishment of god because women are sinful and unclean. Would a man telling her that's not true and offering her the biological explanation be mansplaining?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12