Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Culture Wars - debate and discussion  (Read 18077 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Wars - debate and discussion
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2017, 10:10:40 pm »

So how do we improve the mating dances?
I know I need to kill a few creatures, I'm lost on the rest

Does the bowerbird method interest you?

lol XD

Step 1: Be Attractive
Step 2: Have Money

Way to ruin the sillyness.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2017, 10:20:51 pm »

Step 1: Be Attractive
Step 2: Have Money

Way to ruin the sillyness.

All you had to do was follow the damn train CJ earn an income only the top 5% of Japan receives.  Only a minor barrier.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2017, 01:51:27 am »

It isn't like that is a moving target either, where if the other 95% managed to get that rate, the 5% wouldn't now get paid more. (Such as via inflation)

I liken this to the "nothing to wear!" Cliche'.  You know the one, where the attractive young woman opens her bedroom sized walk in closet, filled with 500 pairs of shoes, and enough female attire to clothe a whole apartment building. It's just that all *those* clothes were old fashions, and now she simply can't wear them!

Oh, the poor, poor dear! How she suffers! She has to settle for something less glamorous than her fickle ideal of the moment! How tragic!

Yes, my bias and sarcasm are showing.

Both are a part of something I have noticed for a long time, and which I call "Pink Aisle Madness." It might be a wholly US thing, but when I say "Pink Aisle", THIS is what I mean:

Items in the pink aisle almost totally and nearly without fail, appeal to a hyper-fantastic ideal that revolves around having the very best, all the time, and that *this* is what being an attractive young lady/woman is all about. Life lessons!? phhht! No way-- it's about the glamour of being a doctor, like Doctor Barbie, who shows up to work in a labcoat that is useless for doing any kind of medical examination in despite what REAL female doctors ACTUALY deal with-- (how else can barbie afford to go on endless shopping trips if she isn't making bank with that glamorous doctor job, where she can show up to work in a pink satin labcoat covering a lacy pink tutu?--I am fairly sure that she did NOT buy that ensemble at a normal healthcare supply chain. Where did she get it from then? Maybe an adult novelty store? More importantly, would YOU trust a doctor that shows up to work in a tutu?)  Even if we dont bag on Barbie (despite her iconic perch), basically everything in the pink aisle plays up the fantasy aspects of the themes and messages of their respective products, and do not give a realistic view of what those things actually mean-- Take for instance, the "motherhood" theme.  Being a mom sucks. It sucks A LOT.  Diapers are stinky, gross, and never ending. A crying baby will harry even the most steadfast of souls when they are sick. Do any of these products give a more realistic depiction of this? No-- They focus on the "Oh, isn't the baby cute!!" and "Such a good mom!" messages.  Dont even get me started on the clothing and shopping messages, or the messages about ideal boyfriends, or the fantasy of married life, or how gendered toys and their distorted messages can screw up children's worldviews permanently.

Japan is notorious for its cutsy-pooh ideals for its young women. It is very deep into pink aisle madness type delusion territory.  The "I can only date the top 5% of income earners for my ideal perfect life fantasy that I have been promised since infancy!!" is a direct reflection of this.

Being "A woman" is not about the pink, the makeup, the clothes, the perfect homelife, or any of that shit.  Being "A woman" is about dealing with all the difficult things that happen in a domestic setting, and being adaptive and intelligent in resolving them without introducing even more drama. If you want the ideal mother, it is a woman who has universal love for their child, despite their diapers and screaming, and works to assure that their child is prepared for the world. (the REAL world, where there are bad things and bad people.)

The problem is that actual femininity does not sell products.  Psychological signals based conditioning sells products. Pink packaging-- girls wear pink-- you aren't pretty if you aren't caked in makeup-- Your value as a woman is dependent upon your ability to stand out as the center of attention-- your boyfriend needs to be a plastic metrosexual with endless cash to bring you happiness-- all very dangerous and WRONG messages:  Routinely and shamelessly dispensed by the pink aisle.

Instead of TELLING girls what they should be, from a young and impressionable age-- ASK them what they want to become, and give them opportunities to experience those things to better actualize as actual people?

No-- that is much too hard in this modern world-- and if everyone did that, who would buy Barbies? /s

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:19:23 am by wierd »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2017, 08:03:59 am »

fundamental logical application of the concepts remains useful.

Sorry I'm not clear what you mean by "the concepts" specifically here, so I don't want to counter that. Can you be more explicit as to what you're refering to?

"Treating people the same" and "acceding to demands of microaggression advocates" are different things in my mind.

Many of the example of microaggressions do not revolve around people being treated the same, they are saying that some people should be treated differently, because we need to be super-sensitive about different identities. Now that's a bigger minefield by far.

Thats..... a heck of a cognitive dissonance, they want 100% equality and yet they want to treat others differently.

Also, that's the 'cultural appropriation' you're talking about, I think, which is kind of BS. If people from said culture complain about it, okay, that's fair, but for an outsider to do it seems kind of silly.
It is the nature of the extremist to be a contradiction. also cultural appropriation has a specific definition, mainly taking someone elses important traditions and unique cultural aspects and using them in a way that would be seen as disrespectful by their originators. neo pagans would be cultural appropriators as would people using native American head dresses in stupid ways.

Technically neo-pagans are reviving a dead culture, so, I don't see how that is cultural appropriation because theres nobody from the previous culture to offend. Unless you're afraid of ghosts.

Using Native American headgear or other stuff in dumb/stupid and stereotypical ways, yeah, that would be an appropriate application of it.

Though I'm sure theres a difference between 'you're doing it wrong!' and 'you're doing it offensively!'.
except they are not. They just make up a bunch of shit that contradicts all the actual things we know about their practices.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2017, 08:08:50 am »

Neopaganism is to old world paganism, what Disney Fairy Tales are to Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Superficially similar, different content, ownership claimed.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2017, 09:44:52 am »

This amused me for some reason.
Let me cite a few articles:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2012/12/05/why-are-so-many-professional-millennial-women-unable-to-find-dateable-men/#11dd1b7e8486
Doesn't work because I reverse paywalled their punk asses and refuse to let anything from their site do diddly, just shows a quote by Eisenhower?
https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/07/06/has-being-single-in-america-changed/for-the-college-educated-there-is-a-man-deficit-in-the-us
I assume a similar problem, only had a paragraph visible?
http://jezebel.com/5955271/your-marriage-will-be-happier-if-your-husband-is-better-educated-than-you
Isn't this linked to the gawker clusterfuck of clickbait factories? Not clicking out of principle.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/these-women-cant-find-enough-marriageable-men/
Hey hey, this one actually loads and only a bit of the format was broken.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3bj5yv/youre-single-because-there-arent-enough-men-253
This one properly has the shitty web design stripped out and replaced with a full width text, sensible spaces, and unfortunately the image of that goofy-as-fuck looking kid at the top of the page.

I'll call that a victory over the uh... webdesignertriarchy?
The lack of male college graduates is a bad thing, but only insofar as it inconveniences women.

What I think this actually illustrates is that favoring one gender over the other, in any endeavour, ends up harming both genders.
Ooh ooh, inb4 someone getting triggered over you assuming there are only two because you used both!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2017, 12:51:34 pm »

"..., I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2017, 12:56:32 pm »

The way Brownback runs the place, that is probably a good thing. /joke

[note, is a Kansas resident]

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2017, 04:23:13 pm »

All i have ever heard about Kansas is that its mostly terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmRy0SK-0ng

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2017, 04:31:53 pm »

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2017, 04:51:50 pm »

All i have ever heard about Kansas is that its mostly terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmRy0SK-0ng

All I have ever heard about Kansas is that its mostly corn.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2017, 08:20:12 pm »

An apron?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2017, 09:19:19 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2017, 11:13:33 pm »

That reminds me about this video by a fem. activist, she went around telling men b.s. about how periods work, and they all went "uh, ok, fair enough" and kept listening.

This is an example of clickbait win/win outrage video. In the video she was outraged that the men didn't challenge her about her fake period "facts" - "how can men know so little about periods! dumb sexist men!" But ... if any of them had challenged her, then she could have edited the video as "they're mansplaining periods to me, a woman!". This was probably the video she hoped to make.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:17:50 pm by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2017, 12:39:42 am »

That reminds me about this video by a fem. activist, she went around telling men b.s. about how periods work, and they all went "uh, ok, fair enough" and kept listening.

This is an example of clickbait win/win outrage video. In the video she was outraged that the men didn't challenge her about her fake period "facts" - "how can men know so little about periods! dumb sexist men!" But ... if any of them had challenged her, then she could have edited the video as "they're mansplaining periods to me, a woman!". This was probably the video she hoped to make.

This is an exemple of a win/win outrage clickbait post. If she HAD made a video entitled "Men mansplain periods", he could have posted about how she spewed BS. That is probably the post he hoped to write.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12