Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: US wireless carriers, how to pick an affordable one (Smart Phones)  (Read 1485 times)

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I live in the midwest and am trying to figure out how to get some kind of service for my smart phone. So far the best thing I've found is $55/month from Verizon for 2 GB and unlimited talk/text/ month. With tax I think it'll be like $60/month.

Does anybody out there have any other plans they use/like and can afford? I haven't looked at Sprint or anything else? I'm not sure, but I can't be the only one who would benefit from this here can I?

What plan do you use, is it good and how much? I guess comparing plans?

Thank you if you can help me or not, either way really.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: US wireless carriers, how to pick an affordable one (Smart Phones)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 04:24:16 pm »

It all depends on the carrier coverage. If you don't need much, FreedomPop is free. They use ATT's network.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 07:50:47 pm »

Thank you. I'm not sure about that because I actually do need some coverage I guess.

Sprint actually seems cheaper than Verizon, but I'm not sure about it.

Has anyone used sprint lately? Any good? From what I'm hearing their unlimited plan is like $20 cheaper than Verizon. As long as the coverage is there and there aren't terrible strings, I might just end up with them. Ideas? Comments? Please. Thank you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 10:48:44 am »

my experience with Tmobile and Sprint is once you leave the city your signal dies, if you live in the hills and theres only one tower in the area your signal dies. Tmobile so far has started to improve their towers since they have access to more wireless bands.

Project Fi from google is another service I can recommend its really cheap however you need to have a Nexus or Pixel phone.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 12:01:36 pm »

Verizon has the best coverage and is one of the worst cell companies. T-Mobile has the best deals but some not great coverage.

It looks like Project Fi is doing voice over ip, which is what FreedomPop does.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:03:09 pm by BigD145 »

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 07:11:50 pm »

Yeah, looks like Verizon actually does have the best coverage. I see it as basically one of their two plans for me. Either:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/verizon-plan/?cmp=KNC-C-HQ-NON-R-AC-NONE-NONE-2K0PX0-PX-BIN-71700000020660504&cvosrc=ppc.yahoo-gemini.verizon+unlimited&cvo_kwid=302146692882&cvo_crid=32716319797&Matchtype=e&cvo_campaign=[CampaignID]&gclid=CJHOrf7F6dUCFY_1Mgod5swGYg&gclsrc=ds

$55/month ($20 +$35, plus taxes and whatever): 2 GB of data.

OR

$80/ month ($20 + $65 - $5 autopay, plus taxes and whatever): Unlimited Plan

Couple questions, if anybody knows, basically if it's worth it for the extra $25 or so bucks a month

First, what do you actually pay for each plan? I imagine $60 -$65 / month for the first plan and $90 - $95 for the second?
Second, can you just use the "tethering" or mobile "hot spot" stuff as your primary internet connection? How does that work? (Am I missing something)?
(I get that it throttles down after you use 22 GB, but is that a big thing? I don't really understand what that means).