Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Portcross: The Succession Crisis | Cancelled for Now  (Read 2612 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Portcross: The Succession Crisis
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 02:02:48 pm »

Turn One

Prince Harker remains alive.

Portcross seems outwardly stable, but its inner demons threaten to tear it apart.  The city-state's walls and watchtowers are in good repair, sufficiently staffed with well-armed men, and relations with the neighbouring powers can be described optimistically as 'amicable'.  Although it is no jewel of industry, almost everybody within the city walls has enough to eat, and there is little concern about strange occurrences beyond the occasional 'wise woman' and potion seller.  However, the people are on the verge of riots.  Punishingly high rents within the city and flagrant ignorance of the common law by the nobility have awakened many old grudges amongst the common people, and abuses and excesses by the city's clergy have soured public opinion of the temples; many are concerned that the gods are not being properly represented in the city.

Aristocrats: The aristocrats have gathered frankly astonishing power to themselves in Prince Harker's illness, running much of the city through personal edicts and noble privilege.

Merchants: The merchants' guilds are impoverished and all but powerless.  Restrictive commerce laws are strangling mercantile power.

Clergy: The church is powerful and the temples are aligned together in their purpose.  For all the concerns of heresy and abuse of parochial power, the bishops are lords unto themselves.

Wizards: The Academy has seen better days, but still maintains the majority of its power in the form of land, rents, and the ability to draw upon the magical prowess of plenty of practitioners.  Sadly, most of those practitioners tend to go their own way, so this power is more limited in practice.

Thieves: The thieves have had rough times of late.  The aristocracy have been heavily cutting in on their business; when two equally demanding forces are demanding protection money, you pay the one with both law and force on its side.  Worse still, the clergy have had a lot of thieves hanged of late, and now the guilds are broken and disparate.

Spoiler: Submitting Turns (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Seth Richards (Glass) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Oric Harker (Ghazkull) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Malabus (ATHATH) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:59:54 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Portcross: The Succession Crisis | Turn One: Troubled Times
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 02:25:55 pm »

Oric was a very, very unhappy man. Liao was a prime component of his own studies and now it was all but dried up because someone cornered the market...someone that was not legitimate. This would not do.

"But High Mage Harke-"

No you heard me perfectly right, deal with this, right now. and send someone to that enchantress too, we are not in some backwater duchy where she can play Ice Queen, i want her to stop and i want her to stop now. What are you looking at? GET MOVING, i have the spirit of my grand ancestor Koric Harker to summon so i know how succession crises were handled in their days...

Spoiler:  Turn 1 Actions (click to show/hide)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 02:34:53 pm »

Hmm, hmm.

TA1 Not that Ermos has anything to do with this, but in the hypothetical situation that he did, this would seem like a way to consolidate power without expending too much effort.
AC4 This is precisely the sort of thing Ermos' non-existent connection with the underworld is for. The Thieves may be weak, but they don't need to do any of the heavy lifting in this operation.

(Am I doing this right? Should we be hiding our actions?)

E: Also, how come I only have D/E/F for the Aristocrats?
E2: Edited actions.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 03:18:52 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 02:41:03 pm »

MD1. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and the money we spend buying the operation should easily be less than the profit lost from losing this business.

TD1. We can at least be respectable; murderers aren't welcome here.

WE1. Hypnosis and the like are not particularly appreciated.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 02:48:51 pm »

MA2: Though painful, Sevrin knew that the merchants would one day rise, and they can't tie themselves to corrupt church members to do it. At least, not publicly.

MD2: We want in on what they have going on.

AA1: We need force to stop these criminals.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 03:02:04 pm »

Fixed those first three options for you, Nuke.  It's up to people whether they want their actions secret or not; their turns always will be.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 03:24:51 pm »

Fixed those first three options for you, Nuke.  It's up to people whether they want their actions secret or not; their turns always will be.
Alright. Changed my actions upon seeing the new options. AC is literally my character, so, yeah, I'm voting for that all the way.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 03:47:47 pm »

Alright. Changed my actions upon seeing the new options. AC is literally my character, so, yeah, I'm voting for that all the way.
And AC is the way to go. It'll be good working with you, mate.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 10:12:33 pm »

A great many things had passed over Virrik's desk this month. Fingers in many pies, he had to balance his ambitions, and nudge people towards what he desired.
Spoiler: Choices (click to show/hide)
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 10:48:05 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 1 actions (click to show/hide)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2017, 12:22:19 am »

ptw
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 12:27:49 am »

(PTW. Mebbe/probably join.))
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »

Just waiting on ATHATH, then I'll compile the turn.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 09:52:27 am »

*cough*

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 10:57:47 am »

Might run this turn without them for the moment.  Working on compiling shortly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3