Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meandering Animal People  (Read 1633 times)

C4st1gator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Meandering Animal People
« on: June 30, 2017, 12:05:47 pm »

Greetings.
I was playing around in fortress mode and had some lion men join the dwarves in an effort to create a fort of multiple sentient species united in an appreciation of craftsmanship, merrymaking and clear glassmaking (I heard the elves would pay well for it ;) ). During the game I assigned labours to the animal people and found that they were extremely slow. This may be because the hulking lion men are slower I thought, but checked the wiki to confirm. I found that they are supposed to be as fast as humans, or dwarves.
I Decided to observe them more closely and found that they are capable of matching a dwarf's pace, but only if they are carrying an item.
After a quick google search I found this bug report from 2016.
It confirms my suspicions, gives a solution and even offers me the warm and fuzzy feeling that this issue will be solved eventually.

It does, however, leave me unfocused as my needs for discussion, information and eloquent speech are currently unmet. I'd like to hear your opinions on this topic.
  • Do you think animal people should inherit the meandering quirk, or is it inheritance gone wrong?
  • When do you think will the patch, that officially ends meandering citizens, roll around?
  • Also, what is the purpose of the [MEANDERER] tag? Does it save CPU cycles? Why does it force my citizens to creep, when they are more than capable of walking?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Meandering Animal People
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:45:13 pm »

If you watch wild outdoors animals, [meanderer] is the cause of them leisurely spiraling/strolling over the map.

It's not found on vermin animalpeople and some reptilian ones - biggest non-meandering animalperson in game is Giant tortoise man at 185k (less than tenth of elephantman, but still thrice as much as an elf), though they have 2/3 of the speed of a human iirc.

I'm not sure a patch will come - as it stands, you're easily a hundred times more likely to get animal people wandering onto your map as wild animals than for some to come as visitors.

C4st1gator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Meandering Animal People
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 06:39:59 am »

Well for now I'll circumvent this by editing in the fix that removes the tag from the animal people, but leaves meandering animals and giant animals intact. Figured this may give the hunters and fishermen/dwarves more time to return to safety, if a dangerous giant animal is spotted.
At least it takes longer to travel from the edge of the map to the center, where the overworld portion of the fort is located.

Edit: The fix was surprisingly painless. My Lion men are moving as quickly as they should, which has greatly accelerated daily life in the fortress. Lions and giant lions are still meandering about, so I have lots of time to raise the drawbridge.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:29:47 pm by C4st1gator »