Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancer as ringleader  (Read 1169 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer as ringleader
« on: June 29, 2017, 12:22:03 am »

Hello everyone. I'm a total noob at Adventure Mode, and I have a question. I made an adventurer, fully kitted him out in armor, gave him an axe and went off to go kill some bandits. I then happened to see a flashing N with a tilde over it. First I assumed it was a werebeast, but then I saw it was a necromancer ringleader. What should I do in this case? Perhaps I should take him out first so he can't raise any corpses? But what if there are more necromancers hiding there somewhere? Thanks in advance.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer as ringleader
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:11:29 am »

When in doubt, run away.  That has done more to keep my adventurer's alive than anything else :-)  But if/when you decide to fight, I would definitely take out the necromancer first.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 10:56:38 am »

Alright, I decided to go in. I forgot, however, to use my morningstar instead of my sword, so now I'm fighting both the necromancer AND his reanimated left upper arm.
EDIT: After killing the undead arm a couple times, I finally managed to score the killing blow on the necromancer (which will be good on my reputation). The undead arm was then killed by my companion, never to be raised again. I might just take it as a trophy.

Also, I have another question -- is there any way to find out whether the necromancer has a slab, and if so, where the slab is?

EDIT 2: The guy was carrying the slab. I have now learned the powers of life and death.
Aw, yeah.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:04:57 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 09:53:48 pm »

I would have suggested shooting from over 20 tiles out, keeping the target in a 23-25 tile pocket. So long as the necro bandit has no movement/patrol range, you wouldn't have to readjust your range. This way you'd either get a killshot, a bleed out, suffocation, or a pass out due to pain, without the whole so-and-so gestures routine.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:26:21 pm »

I found a necro ringleader who was a pretty nice and reasonable guy. I didn't really want his secrets, so I just chatted with him. While I was telling him the story of one of the night freaks in the area, one of his people who came back from patrol had a problem with us, so my companions had a problem with them. Before I was done with my story they had killed him, then his animated parts, then the ringleader and his gang and all their parts. What a waste.

Anyway, after my story was done I threw him and his tin book into the fire. I already know the secret of life and death -- don't die.