Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: The Glorious Design Bureau of the People II : 1922 "The art of Boxes"  (Read 8649 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: The Glorious Design Bureau of the People II : 1922 "The art of Boxes"
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2017, 08:19:32 pm »

For the pillboxes I will vote for Well supplied, 80mm arty version, camouflaged, and cheap.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2017, 08:25:26 pm »

Alright, so I listed a bunch of stuff out on Discord. Camo is a one-shot thing for an emplacement, which means it's a *really bad idea*. As soon as you start firing, they know you're there. And they aren't going to forget, not unless you either kill them all (Basically impossible) or they're complete incompetents (Entirely impossible).

So here's my plan:
DESIGN BONUSES
Dinosaur: CHEAP! Massed artillery is everything right now.
Pillbox: Cheap, Rapid Construction, Communications Network, Well-Supplied. This gives us a lot of bunkers, really fast, with real-time information reaching the capital. Also, each bunker can operate for extended periods of time without resupply.

THIS TURN'S DESIGNS
LARGE: Make a scouting biplane. One forward-firing machinegun, IF the machinegun-propeller-syncing design works. If not, unarmed scout.
MED 1: Fix that truck!
MED 2: Bigger bunker. Armament options as follows: 2 80mm guns and 2 MGs, or 4 MGs and 1 160mm gun.
SMALL 1: Propeller sync-fire system (I don't remember the actual name, but this system allows a machinegun to be synchronized with the propeller of a plane, and thus fire through it)
SMALL 2: Reduce weight and increase reliability of the machinegun (Take it to our original specifications, basically)

THIS TURN'S PRODUCTION
Production: Make a new shipyard, with 20000 tons capacity, minimum. 75 workmen.
Production 2: Dedicate about 25 workmen to building the new bunkers on the frontlines, as well as a network of trenches. They will likely be working through next turn.

Now then, on to reasoning, for those who care. Long story short, this turn is all about building up for war. We fix our machineguns to be more infantry-portable, fix the truck, and work on an air force. We get a shipyard prepped for the naval construction we're going to hopefully be doing, and start building up bunkers as fast as possible, as well as creating ALL the variants of the bunker (By using the present blueprint and making it substantially bigger and heavily armed).

As for the design choices, I mostly explain them, but the important parts are as follows: We don't need more versions, because we want BOTH and can just do a medium design to get that. ComNet means that we always know what's happening. This is INVALUABLE in a combat situation. Also, it means a large bunker can be used as an EXCELLENT command and control post. Also, it speeds up communications, until we can manage to get one-per-squad radios.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2017, 08:26:53 pm »

Yes, 4x20mm is intended to be small, and it is reliant upon hitting more than once(S.M.G.) or precision(The spy/commando sticks their elbow-gun right upto the victim's back). It's lack of armour penetration and killing power is somewhat of an advantage given that we don't want our soldiers to be overly concerned about killing allies or civilians if they pull the trigger too quickly or shoot at a wall, and hopefulyl it would keep the recoil manageable. It definitely has drawbacks, but our rifles can somewhat cover those if we need to shoot people through walls and such.
As a double-stacked magazine, it would be half length. And as a 4mm round, it would again be close to half-length. 84/4=21. Now it would probably be larger than a 21 round clip, but I would expect it to be much smaller than the 32-round 9mm magazine from a Sten gun for example. I honestly don't think that it would be a problem. I will mention that it is a box-magazine though.

P.S.
 Remember that votes have to be bolded and all occur in a single post. So far all the talk of voting has been informal discussion.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2017, 08:31:02 pm »

Yep, that was intentional. So far, I'm just proposing a plan. Going to see if anyone has any better suggestions before I clutter up a votebox. Those get nasty enough WITHOUT extra help.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2017, 08:37:57 pm »

Small question: How heavy would the light-version of the Dinosaur Rift be without its barrel, and can it shoot down?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2017, 08:43:27 pm »

Dinosaur Rift is a howitzer, right? Then it can shoot in pretty much any way you want...unless you mean like below, say, -5 degrees (So 5 degrees of depression), which might be a little bit non-standard.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2017, 09:31:48 pm »

I was actually thinking rather non-standard. Such as, perhaps, 60 degrees down...
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2017, 09:35:16 pm »

Why?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2017, 09:37:57 pm »

I was just sort of wondering about how powerful our aircraft engines would need to be...
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2017, 09:43:10 pm »

No, RAM.

That sort of thing leads to AC-130 Spectre gunships. And then we'll be so militarily-unbalanced as you wouldn't even believe, with a SINGLE powerful aircraft and nothing else anywhere.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2017, 10:21:49 pm »

I was thinking more like a dive-bomber built around the gun with only a single shot, maybe upgraded to three or four as our loading systems improve. Give it armour-piercing shells to use against ship's decks and bunkers, and high-explosive for trenches and troops. It would be able to shoot from outside of the range of most air defences and hit with a higher velocity, probably with as much accuracy as a dive-bomber. It would certainly have problems, but I like to think that it could work well in its chosen rle. And if we can get the gun down to 1.5 tonnes then it doesn't seem that implausible
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2017, 11:41:17 pm »

RAM, if yer talking having many, many rounds into a target, with a round that anemic(best case and stretching the laws of physics somewhat, its equivalent to .22lr, with much past that requiring all sorts of fancy bullet designs or at least a heavily bottle necked case) you need alot of rounds in a short period of time. Hell, the one example I can find of a sub-gun using a round of that sorta style had a magazine of 165 rounds at the least, and you could get 275 round magazines for the thing.

We still would also have the issue that we would have to supply the things with ammunition.

Single shot attack aircraft, if yer going that way, would be more efficient and cheaper as rockets or bombs, not as single-shot cannon, particularly if yer leaving the barrel off to get it about.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2017, 12:19:34 am »

A lot of my assumptions come from the MP7 which has a 4.6x30mm round that apparently has models that can pierce personnel armour. It was about as close as I could find to what I wanted, but seemed more powerful than desired. Perhaps 4x24 would be better? Or I could go to 4x32 and current technologies would make up the difference? That is a very long round for a low-velocity weapon with no aspirations to armour penetration. Ammunition supplies shouldn't be an especially difficult problem. The ammunition is lighter afterall. 6 seconds of sustained firing is quite a lot for such weapons, I would like more but can't really justify it, but if we end up with 1200 round per minute it would still leave enough firing time for the job. The objective is to waylay someone as soon as you see them, then close in to finish them with precision fire or capture.release them It IS an extremely light round, but there are advantages to that... Or we could just do what all the boring people do and have our submachinegun chambered for something boring like 8x20mm and have no standardised 4mm round for our spy gadgets...
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2017, 02:26:08 am »

The 4.6x30mm round is about the same size as the 5.7x28, roughly 8x40mm taking into account the bottleneck and the like. It also requires all sorts of fancy bullet design.
 Spy gadgets arent quite our job, our brand new pistol round would fulfill much the same role when used in SMGs, and we are rather crap at designing things. After all, look at how that truck worked out.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2017, 02:50:32 am »

On the other hand, we designed a rather good bunker, hopefully...
The advantages of the 4x20 are that there are fewer barriers to firing.
A missed shot is less important because there is less recoil and it can hold more ammunition and it is unlikely to go through a wall and hit something that you don't want it to.
A bad target identification is less important because of the low lethality.
Pointing at the wrong thing is less important because the weapon is lighter.
Hitting a non-vital bodypart is less important because you can sweep it to something else with a low recoil and high rate-of-fire, and can probably fire for longer between reloads.

The downsides are that it cannot penetrate cover or armour and it has low lethality.

I am not looking for the same performance that the 4.6x30mm gets. The 4.6x30mm can go through body-armour, which is not the objective here. The objective is something that can be used to burst into a room and spray as you enter and not stop until the average battle tiime is concluded and still have a few bullets left over for an emergency all without tagging the team that was sneaking in the back or checking the adjacent room. It is designed so that the twitchiest member of the squad can be given a gun and put that twitchiness to use with some hope of not regretting it. It is designed to extremely quickly tag them a little then tag them a lot. A single bullet is not likely to achieve much, but it doesn't need to, it has friends, lots and lots of friends.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10