Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: The Glorious Design Bureau of the People II : 1922 "The art of Boxes"  (Read 8660 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The machine guns would be effective in defensive positions and if we can mount them on armored cars we would be golden.

Make those mountain bunkers machine gun mounted bunkers.

We should choose nimble and build as many as our naval construction capacity will allow, we wont be able to take their ports but we can at least completely shut down their navy.

We should probably specify the fix to the dinosaur, namely fixing the suspension to improve accuracy.

We probably need a dedicated facility to build ammo for our machine guns above and beyond the norm due to how fast it chews up ammo.

For the pistol, a fire selector would be ideal as sometimes unloading the entire clip is a good idea.  Again, we need more ammo there.

Rifles and grenades seem to be a strong danger as well.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right now, our bolt-action rifles are fine. Obviously, the bunkers will be crawling in machineguns. We'll get the fix specified when we build the thing. The machinegun's firerate is not that superb, according to the design. Less than 600 RPM, and fairly heavy. Going to want that fixed probably next year. Should be a decent Small Project.

Fire selector, probably. Should actually form a good basis for an SMG, actually xD
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let me introduce a few more detailed proposals...

CT-22 "Mule" Cargo Truck (Medium)

A 6x6 off-road capable truck, rated to carry 2.5 tons of cargo. It is usually equipped with a simple canvas-covered flat back, but adding a tank converts it to a tanker truck. The cabin is simple sheet metal with a windscreen. The truck has a tow-bar, allowing it to tow guns or trailers. It mounts the to-be-developed 100hp engine.

ET-22 100hp engine (Small)
A simple diesel engine for use in our cargo truck. Prioritize ease of maintenance and fuel consumption. Should produce 75-100hp.

CH160a-1921 "Dinosaur Rift" Mod. B (Small)
The Dinosaur Rift is a perfectly fine gun, but it is hindered by its carriage and suspension. The Mod. B exchanges the carriage for a new one and reverts a few of our more drastic weight reduction measures. Any remaining time is spent reducing cost.

I have started the proposal tracker. I have not included any previous proposals, since they were one-line, non-bolded ideas.

Spoiler: Proposal Tracker (click to show/hide)

And some quotes-from-ebbor from discord on questions I had:
Are the Dinosaur Rift's 3rpm burst or sustained fire?
Wiki says 3 rpm for firerate of similarly sized howitzers of the same era.
So, it's similar to that.
So, it is burst fire rate. Sustained is probably about 30-40 rounds per hour.

Do we have to design engines separately?
If you don't, you get the generic engine of mild suckyness
Civilian engines, two smaller engines kobbled together or what the overworked engineers could come up with
If you can find a civilian engine you want to use that would reasonably exist in your country, or be accesible for import, you may even have no problems with the rest of the design.

How do we get more factories?
Like in the last game, you ask for them with the special orders of the third category

Would we build the recruitment centre with engineers or workers?
Workers + Political favors
The idea of recruiting people is hardly a foreign concept
Same for the offices

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PB-21
PB-21 or pillbox 21 is a relatively small concrete guard post equipped with two Model 1921 Machine guns and 40mm autocannon. Should be able withstand direct hits from medium artillery pieces.
This thing should be fairly cheap to build and can even defeat light armored vehicles

Spoiler: proposal tracker (click to show/hide)

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- Local resources : Eliminate metal cost
That's pretty good. We can get 480 of those ships per turn, with (I think?) no factory costs.

Fuel will be limiting how many we can field, but it doesn't matter how many we lose in battle.

Edit: Armor would also be pretty nice, in case someone puts a machine gun on their ships.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:40:50 pm by Nirur Torir »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We want nimbleness. Armor will slow it down, more speed is pretty much unnecessary at this level of speed, and eliminating metal cost is unnecessary.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

With the boat, I think making the thin nimble would be a benefit.

Ah, how are we planning on doing the various things? For the pistol, some sorta fire limiter or at the least a stock would be beneficial. We still need to design grenades, get indirect fire support, and so on.
 Bringing over designs from last turn, with some minor changes to the shotgun(mostly giving it a useful payload).

1920:4. The Model 1921 Trench Gun; A Pump action shotgun using 20mm cartridges loaded with buckshot loaded into a five round, single stack detachable box magazine. A short, easily handled weapon idea for close quarters combat as a primary weapon, particularly when one of our standard bayonets is mounted. [Small Project]

1920:7. M21 grenade; a 750 gram 45mm fragmentation grenade with smooth exterior walls and a 75 gram bursting charge.[Small Project]

1920:8. M1891/21 grenade discharger; a modification of the Mostin-Nagant into a short carbine with the ability to launch a M21 grenade.[Small Project]

1920:9. M21 75mm mortar; a three-piece medium mortar with a range of 2000m and 4kg HE warheads to start with.[Medium Project]

Formally Suggesting for Others:

5- M1921/22 Pistol- Further development includes working on some form of fire selector for the weapon, development of a detachable(or at the least, folding wire) stock, and (if time permits) larger magazines.

α: Construction of recruitment and training center, to get ahold of extra workers and engineers

β: Fortify the mountain frontier

Question for Ebbor: What sort of magazine do we have on the pistol, besides detachable box. Namely, what sort of stacking and what sort of feeding?

Voting for: 1,2,5, all 1920 designs, α, and finally β.

Dang mad ninjas.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm, I just noticed that the Mule is probably a large project. Switching that.

Also, let me introduce you to proposal γ
γ: Para Bellum

Lacking as we are in industry, we need more factories. For this, request factories for small-arms, artillery, engines, and vehicles. One production line each of 400pps, with more going to small-arms and artillery.

Also,
A: Machine Guns and Torpedo Boats
Build machine guns (200 total) in the factory; torpedo boats (12 total) in the dockyard.

Voting for 1, 2, 3, 1920:9, A, α, γ, and Local Resources.

Spoiler: Votes for Traits (click to show/hide)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would propose a different method of voting, since this one is honestly exhausting to keep track of.
Voting in plans:
Someone writes a plan, that involves what will be produced, how it will be researched (Combine teams? Break apart teams?), what will be built, etc. Then, making modifications to the original as they wish to gather more support or whatever, people vote on coherent plans, saving us from the lunacy of the 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3,  alphabetagammawhoevenknowsanymore, A.B.C.D.E. etc.

It would look like this:

Plan One (Includes a link somewhere, preferably): 5
ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL, MNO
Plan Two: 1
PQR

and so on.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

That doesent work well when people want some of one plan and some of another. In other words, almost always.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then someone else proposes a compromise plan, and people decide whether or not that plan is better than originals.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am happy to have the current voting system. Having no defined plans is good for the game like this. It creates natural compromises and encourages proposals
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The plan system won't remove singular suggestions, it just makes it much simpler to figure out everything being voted for and how it will be done, etc.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The Glorious Design Bureau of the People II
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2017, 12:37:14 pm »

The Cute Apple is for infantry to provide their own DFA without having to call it in from another unit. It is basically the same as the 160mm except that instead of it being temporarily assigned by a commander, aimed by professional spotters, and communicated with by lines or radio, it is permanently assigned to a unit or something and ordered by a lieutenant waving to someone and then pointing at a church steeple... It doesn't have the pock-marked-wasteland effect of proper howitzers, but provides convenient indirect fire that can be easily managed at a local level and transported by infantry without appreciable loss of mobility to almost any location for deployment.
What does DFA stand for here? I thought you mistakenly used "DFA" to mean direct fire artillery, but you mentioned that mortars are indirect fire weapons so I don't think that's right.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Death from above. The light mortar is basically the close-air-support of our time. Just as the large howitzer is the airstrike of our time. ... We could consider designing a really nice aircraft engine...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10