Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Search for the Gizmo of Ultimate Goodness  (Read 11380 times)

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Search for the Gizmo of Ultimate Goodness
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2017, 06:25:28 am »

Nice, I like it !

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2017, 07:22:46 am »

So I was wondering, can we put enrichments on ANYTHING in our inventory? Because I have a great urge to put one on the foam glove.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:36:09 am by Failbird105 »

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2017, 08:22:03 am »

So I was wondering, can we put enrichments on ANYTHING in our inventory? Because I have a great urge to put one on the foam glove.
Yep. Just keep in mind that you will probably have to have it equipped to work, and you can't be wielding another item in that hand. (The glove is pretty much a 0 dmg weapon.)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2017, 08:46:58 am »

BAM

Amnesia, Parasite, Teleporting

Name: Chunk
Appearance: large, bulky humanoid, built like a caricature of a dumb brute. Large underbite, hippopotamus like teeth. No hair.
Description:
Age - Chunk is old, but not very
race - Chunk is chunk!
occupation - Chunk fight things no people else want fight.
Backstory: Chunk no remember past. Chunk no remember family. Chunk remember nothing! Chunk not even remember how Chunk get places, Chunk just be one place, and then Chunk stop remembering, and Chunk is in other place. People say Chunk head empty, but that not true, Chunk feel a thingy in there sometimes, when it moves. Chunk join because Chunk no remember good, Chunk forget all the time. So Chunk want Gizmo, because Gizmo so good, it help Chunk remember everything!

Special skill: "Where am I?" - Chunk undergoes another memory lapse as the parasite on his brain drains from it to teleport him somewhere nearby, this moves him to somewhere random, but not directly dangerous, in the room. Due to the parasites constant growth however, his head is unevenly shaped, preventing him from wearing some forms of headwear.

Skills:
Melee Weapons: +5
Athletics: +5
Shield: +1
Will: +4(Chunks brain is so foggy and clogged with stupidity even mental powers have trouble getting in)
Underwater Basket-Weaving: +3

Spells: none

Equipment:
Headlamp
Steel-Toed Boots
Chainmail
Mallet(nunchucks are far too advanced for Chunk to wield successfully)
Semi-Auto Rifle
Kite Shield
Oversized Foam Glove[teleporting]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:03:29 pm by Failbird105 »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2017, 09:47:24 am »

Failbird, three things: One, you can only enrich 1 of your pieces of equipment. Second, how could someone with such a low...mental aptitude...remember, or even learn, how to weave baskets underwater? Third, while the "Paracitic" aspect does provide an explanation for the amnesia, there's no hints in the backstory that it's actually the case. Maybe if it said "Only thing in head of Chunk is occasional itching and rattling".
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2017, 10:14:27 am »

BAM

Amnesia, Parasite, Teleporting

Name: Chunk
Appearance: Bulky humanoid, built like a characature of a dumb brute. Large underbite, hippopotomous like teeth. No hair.
Description:
Age - Chunk is old, but not very
race - Chunk is chunk!
occupation - Chunk fight things no people else want fight.
Backstory: Chunk no remember past. Chunk no remember family. Chunk remember nothing! Chunk join because Chunk no remember good, Chunk forget all the time. So Chunk want Gizmo, because Gizmo so good, it help Chunk remember everything!

Skills:
Melee Weapons: +5
Athletics: +5
Shield: +1
Will: +4(Chunks brain is so foggy and clogged with stupidity even mental powers have trouble getting in)
Underwater Basket-Weaving: +3

Spells: none

Equipment:
Headlamp
Steel-Toed Boots
Chainmail
Brass Knuckles[Parasitic](nunchucks are far too advanced for Chunk to wield succesfully)
Semi-Auto Rifle
Kite Shield
Oversized Foam Glove[Teleporting]
Quite the warrior. You still need to incorporate parasite and teleporting into your character. Also, you can only enrich one of your items. Brass knuckles won't do much damage. Are you sure you don't want a blunt mace or mallet instead?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2017, 11:34:15 am »

Failbird, three things: One, you can only enrich 1 of your pieces of equipment. Second, how could someone with such a low...mental aptitude...remember, or even learn, how to weave baskets underwater? Third, while the "Paracitic" aspect does provide an explanation for the amnesia, there's no hints in the backstory that it's actually the case. Maybe if it said "Only thing in head of Chunk is occasional itching and rattling".
Ahh, I thought you only had to include one of the aspects into the character itself(I had assumed incorporate them into your character meant character SHEET), since the others could go to enrichments or spells(I only skimmed through the other characters backstories because I had assumed such.) Not even sure HOW I managed to forget that it said "One" item, I just saw somebody with two spells and my brain went "If they can have two spells, I can have two enrichments!"

Also, the reason he could learn that is BECAUSE it's completely out of place, and that makes it funny to me.
Quite the warrior. You still need to incorporate parasite and teleporting into your character. Also, you can only enrich one of your items. Brass knuckles won't do much damage. Are you sure you don't want a blunt mace or mallet instead?
To be fair, with chunks physique they'd do a good bit more than you'd think, but yeah, I think something like a mallet would maybe be better.

Sadly this kind of mistake in character creation isn't entirely uncommon with me, I struggle through creating a character within the restrictions present, and then I get a really good idea and I just GO. This tends to end up with me missing parts of said restrictions without even realizing it. Once I managed to miss the words "NO LONGER OPEN FOR APPLICATIONS" in big bold red letters at the bottom of the OP on a game at least FIVE TIMES.
I'll get back to work then.

Edit: Okay, how would I go about adding a special ability like it mentions in the OP, I have a few ideas that would mesh in with his backstory, and some drawbacks as well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:46:41 am by Failbird105 »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2017, 01:22:22 pm »

Take a look at Sacrin. He intrinsically pierces all armor, but enemies have the same ability against him, meaning that armor is useless to him unless it has other enchantments.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2017, 01:44:57 pm »

Edit: Okay, how would I go about adding a special ability like it mentions in the OP, I have a few ideas that would mesh in with his backstory, and some drawbacks as well.
If you are unsure whether your special ability + drawback are balanced, leave the numbers of it up to me, and just write what it does.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2017, 02:28:14 pm »

Dustan Hache has been replaced by Smoke Mirrors. Also, non-sentient creatures now automatically fail their Will rolls. And now for something completely different.

Smoke Mirrors
3rd Word of Blasphemy:
[cancer, tentacle] One of the 13 Words of Blasphemy. A tentacle erupts from you and attacks an enemy up to two spaces away (of your choice). If it hits, it deals 10 unholy damage and the enemy must make a Will roll. If the Will roll does not meet or exceed 15, they take 5 unholy damage at the beginning of each turn until they die (this effect is considered a curse).

Bloodthirsty shortsword
[draining, tribal] This shortsword was your rightful inheritance once you killed the warlord who used to lead your tribe. For every 3 damage this weapon deals you heal 1 HP. (So every swing will heal 2, unless the damage is modified in some way.)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2017, 02:36:02 pm »

If you are unsure whether your special ability + drawback are balanced, leave the numbers of it up to me, and just write what it does.
It's not that, I just don't know how to implement them into the sheet.

My first idea was that he can teleport somewhere random(but not directly dangerous) in the room, but forfeits his entire turn due to a memory lapse that comes with it.

The second was that his brain parasite can(without my control) force an enemy to succeed a will roll or have a memory lapse and forget what they were doing/going to do on that turn, then they have to take time remembering. The downside would be that Chunk would suffer from these memory lapses as well, with an even harder will roll(or possibly none)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:38:52 pm by Failbird105 »

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2017, 02:59:14 pm »

It's not that, I just don't know how to implement them into the sheet.

My first idea was that he can teleport somewhere random(but not directly dangerous) in the room, but forfeits his entire turn due to a memory lapse that comes with it.

The second was that his brain parasite can(without my control) force an enemy to succeed a will roll or have a memory lapse and forget what they were doing/going to do on that turn, then they have to take time remembering. The downside would be that Chunk would suffer from these memory lapses as well, with an even harder will roll(or possibly none)
The first one is balanced, and would only require a small downside to your character.

The second one is more powerful than it seems, because it functions as a shield bash (w/o the dmg) that's much easier to pull off. Having this happen randomly nerfs it, bit also makes combat a little less strategic. Also, you losing your turn is going to be more annoying than you think, since I expect battles to last around three turns. (Enemies have around 15 health each.)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2017, 03:02:28 pm »

The first one is balanced, and would only require a small downside to your character.
So wait, does that mean a small downside in addition to what's already there, or that I can lessen the one he already has?

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2017, 03:44:57 pm »

Hello everyone, I already sent my character sheet to the GM so I figured I should put it in the thread as well.

Attributes Passion, Drain, Cancer.

Name: Avair Marksedo

Appearance: Tall, with short chestnut hair, pail skin, red eyes and fangs, Avair looked to be in his 20's but has lived many millennia immortal. He has a red scar striking through his right eye, but the eye itself is still there, along with many more scars along his body from countless battles.

Description: A 1000s of years old Vampire warlord, Male.

Backstory: I am a great vampire warlord from time immemorial, and as such, I do not suck such things as blood from my enemies, I drain their very emotions, their fighting spirit, their memories and will, and I make it my own. I have fought in countless battles, won countless wars, but one thing has always vexed me, my inability to walk in the daylight. After reading through ancient texts I found the Gizmo of Ultimate Goodness could grant vampire the ability to walk in sunlight, so of course, I found a party that was searching for it and convinced them to let him join.

Skills:
Melee Weapons: 4
Ranged Weapons: 1
Magic: 1
Shield: 3
Athletics: 3
Medicine: 1
Will: 2

Spells: 1 spell (Cancer)

Equipment:
Electric Headlamp
Steel-Toed Boots
Cape with Custom Design
Chainmail
Shortsword (enriched, draining)
Semi-Auto Rifle
Kite Shield
Medicine kit

Special Skill: The ability to drain emotions, fighting spirit, memories and will from my enemies and I make it my own. (Adjacent enemies receive -2 to all attack, offensive magic, and will rolls)

Weakness: Weakness to holy power (Take x2 damage from holy attacks and can not receive aid from holy effects, no damage from symbols)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:46:59 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2017, 03:53:31 pm »

So wait, does that mean a small downside in addition to what's already there, or that I can lessen the one he already has?
The memory lapse that occurs is a "payment" for using the ability, not a downside. The downside can be something very small, because of how situational an "expensive" the ability is. Ex: Head is too lumpy to wear certain headwear. (Headwear is quite rare, and has to do with mental ability, anyway.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8