Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadows among the Stars (OOC/Planning/Accepting Character Signups)  (Read 18778 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows among the Stars (Accepting Characters)
« Reply #300 on: June 29, 2017, 06:39:29 pm »

For the science department ship, I'd like one based off the survey craft, though with additional tools for mining, as well as some defenses (not heavy ones, but enough to fend off a normal attack).

Anyone else in the department have any specific requests?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 29, 2017, 06:48:16 pm »

I need an old, but large and spaceworthy, freighter (The kind with large bays suitable for the assembly of large ground vehicles and small spaceships, as well as some manufactories and regular old science lab stuff. Also, the kind you won't miss, should it mysteriously vanish into a smallish explosion) with lots of interior space. Usually hanging out on the fringes of the fleet, outside the blast zone of a 200-megaton yield matter/antimatter annihilation bomb (I don't have one yet, but you never know...) Mostly robotic/automated crew as well. Any non-robotic positions filled strictly by volunteers.

Honestly, since I'd already like to be using an old freighter, might as well put the mining gear and such for the indy/do-it-yourself/from-scratch inventing on the freighter, which already has the capacity for both the ore and the equipment needed to refine it. The survey vessel can be used for, you know, surveying, specifically research on weird phenomena.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:50:58 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 29, 2017, 06:51:37 pm »

Madman can have his ship to himself.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2017, 06:53:38 pm »

That was the point.

The point that's so disturbingly...sane....that the collective rest of the RDOSA must have done it to me.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 29, 2017, 07:01:07 pm »

No. It's just that I have no interest in staying on a ship that is specifically meant to be completely expendable in case you completely vaporize both it and anything inside of in.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 29, 2017, 07:06:41 pm »

A passnager liner would be good for the diplo corp.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 29, 2017, 07:11:29 pm »

I could nerd out and say a cruiser should be a science vessel. Original enterprise was one. Science and cruiser.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 29, 2017, 07:16:37 pm »

Star Trek is probably not the best reference...considering the little I've seen of it. Yes, you can mix functions, but a vessel purpose-built to be a cruiser is probably going to have an all-enveloping armor shell and whatnot, whereas a survey ship will have sensors everything, powerful sensors meant to gather all the information it can, with thin armor so as not to obstruct said instruments. Also, the cruiser is going to be loaded with heavy weapons and ammo storage, and doesn't want to be made larger, heavier, and slower by the addition of science equipment. It needs all the speed it can get, and doesn't want to be a bigger, more expensive target.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 29, 2017, 07:27:01 pm »

I could nerd out and say a cruiser should be a science vessel. Original enterprise was one. Science and cruiser.

Hmm I'm going to let the science department have two ships, one can be for experiments, and the other can be a survey vessel. You can use a cruiser, though it'll be weaker than a military one.

Survey/Raider cross please. Requesting and it from the mad scientists now.
This is fine, just describe how it fulfills both roles.

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 29, 2017, 07:30:19 pm »

One science vessel is the cargo ship, the other science vessel should be a survey/cruiser mix like mentioned. It doesn't need to be anywhere near the strength of a military cruiser (Though as it's not my ship, I'm not too concerned) but a cruiser hull modified for scientific instruments should work great.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 29, 2017, 07:33:33 pm »

Agreed, a science cruiser would be great. And it'll also have labs in it. Just not ones where Madman works.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 29, 2017, 07:41:57 pm »

Nobody likes me and my megaton-yield antimatter annihilation devices...

Can't really blame you

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 29, 2017, 07:48:22 pm »

Speed and sensors of a survey, but with the weaponry and attack speed of a raider.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2017, 07:57:37 pm »

Name: Bar'Quaria Marloss
Race: Hanarian
Dept: Navy
Role: Admiral, prefers having their own capital ship, but optional.
Skill: Augmented Fleet Command
Liability: Sensitive Implants. ((Prone to both damage of the digital variety and of the bludgeoning variety to brain case. They don't really "show" in terms of visual looks unless you notice the port on their spine though.))
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 29, 2017, 08:09:58 pm »

Blood: The Augmented Hanarian. Looks good! You can include what you want to be your flagship in you character descryption however. Should be a strong character!
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27