Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadows among the Stars (OOC/Planning/Accepting Character Signups)  (Read 18817 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows among the Stars (Accepting Characters)
« Reply #225 on: June 28, 2017, 07:22:13 pm »

Taricus, you forget that the laws of physics look like Swiss cheese in this universe. We can get by with a LOT of otherwise-not-really-possible things. Advanced control over magnets and advanced power sources capable of making a continuous plasma blade are relatively easy. What's NOT relatively easy is figuring out when this weapon becomes more practical than using that power source for a laser rifle and the magnetics tech and the plasma as a personal-shielding device.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 28, 2017, 07:24:01 pm »

Hey man I'm trying to support your case here :c
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 28, 2017, 07:27:51 pm »

Why are we discussing swords in the first place? If you need a close-combat weapon, you should really just be using a combat knife or sonic shotgun... (I'd like to note that sound-based weaponry is totally a thing that people are actually using today.)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 28, 2017, 07:31:57 pm »

Oh Taricus, that reminds me, I forgot to inform you, retrovirals are how STDs are spread.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 28, 2017, 07:32:32 pm »

We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 28, 2017, 07:36:24 pm »

No, you want this thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GccGbdLqTmQ

A. Which one

B. Make this stuff for me, it will be useful for my missions.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2017, 07:36:47 pm »

*processing, processing*
The hell did I just watch XD

EDIT: You know what I want to make at some point? A thing that automatically gives everyone a theme song. Not for any real reason, just because I think it'd be cool.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:39:08 pm by Glass »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2017, 07:38:49 pm »

A. All of it.
B. Just get me some materials.

Glass, you just watched a hilarious (And three years old holy crap) video that is actually pretty awesome. I wanted that concussion shotgun from the first time I saw that video. Game's pretty good, the cutscenes are graphically amazing even three years later. Anyway, that's what the phrase "sonic shotgun" brought to mind.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2017, 07:41:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure a real sonic shotgun wouldn't be able to hold power for that far (though the fact that it was a self-contained hallway would help in that department). I'm thinking something smaller, that gives a far more localized shot. Overall, it'd essentially fulfill the role of the bayonet, being the close-range weapon that you use when it comes time for that. It could even (probably) get attached to our weaponry in basically the same way (though the mechanics would be more complicated).

EDIT: I feel like it would be useful for us to have a discord for this. Gimme a moment while I set one up.

EDIT2: Okay guys, here it is.

EDIT3: Tar, please send the discord link to our friend the quartermaster.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:58:03 pm by Glass »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2017, 10:24:12 pm »

Honestly? You guys keep derailing every ****ing thing I mention? I remember why I do not bother in pvp arms race wars. But if you think what I suggested is invalid?

The Electron laser already exists. The Swiss invented a functioning one NOW on a world that is basically pre warp. You want hard sci fi? Hard sci fi runs on stuff that works now. Just in the he future. If you take that away, it is not science fiction, it's fiction, but not science fiction. It's deconstruction. Okay let's play deconstruction.

Plasma weapons, seriously? You will need perfected artificial gravity with electromagnetism to condense the blades or beams to be any good. Because in reality non stellar plasma is about as hot as steam. Burning electric gas, as potent as steam. Warhammerv40k said it best. Their plasma weapons work as tiny mini suns generated and. Blasted out.

Want a real melee weapon then? Your best bet is making a better metal and crafting it to a blade. Because mono blades would be so thin their brittle, and vibro would tear the users hand apart from friction. So can we suspend some disbelief? Because as for flight the most logical way in real world is the Orion system. Which is shifting dal, but could push ship at fraction of light speed.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2017, 05:17:45 am »

I'm catching up with this--and thank you to Taricus for filling in my responses through him x.x
I'll be making a Quartermaster, or the Executive/Central Officer.

[...]I remember why I do not bother in pvp arms race wars. But if you think what I suggested is invalid?
A boop to everyone involved--when criticizing each other, do remember that y'all are criticizing each others' ideas rather than each other's intent. Be constructive :3 we're all here to play and have fun, together, because that's the only way everyone can have fun. With each other.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2017, 06:51:12 am »

Guys, please join the discord channel. :(
https://discord.gg/vtkfxFE

[...]I remember why I do not bother in pvp arms race wars. But if you think what I suggested is invalid?
A boop to everyone involved--when criticizing each other, do remember that y'all are criticizing each others' ideas rather than each other's intent. Be constructive :3 we're all here to play and have fun, together, because that's the only way everyone can have fun. With each other.
Thank you, Tir.
Guys, try to keep from attacking others, and keep the conversations civil. If you want to disprove something, then please cite where your information is coming from, and before you try to disprove it, do try to remember that we all want to have fun here.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2017, 06:55:13 am »

Thank you, Tir.
Guys, try to keep from attacking others, and keep the conversations civil. If you want to disprove something, then please cite where your information is coming from, and before you try to disprove it, do try to remember that we all want to have fun here.
+1 to that

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2017, 07:47:47 am »

I was just pointing out the actual scientifically recognized types of lasers. The electricity thing (Static, I think you called it) is cool, but it's not technically a laser. A laser is generated ONLY when a beam of photons (Travelling in the same direction) is made coherent, as in vibrating together. So that when the wave function (Think graph of a sine wave) hits a peak for one, every other one is also at a peak, because they're coherent.

Anyway. If we can make an electricity gun like that, I'm not going to argue. Especially because we are going to need some form of ion cannon (Star Wars thing, disables ships but does not do much damage to them. It overloads electronics) to capture ships. Firstly because I want to make some war crimes close-quarters crowd-control weapons, and second because we can always use more ships.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2017, 08:07:01 am »

Hell yes EMP cannons. I want us to have the option of stealing enemies' ships.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27