Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadows among the Stars (OOC/Planning/Accepting Character Signups)  (Read 18832 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows among the Stars (Accepting Characters)
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2017, 06:41:59 pm »

Hey, it's OK, since as soon as you explode you start to heal. Of course, it's only one part of you that heals, and the rest keeps exploding til it's gone, but that's OK, because you'll just be entirely regrown! Painfully Painlessly regrown! Just like that! Unless of course your damaged, mutating genes mess it up and we have to go back to the cloning center, but it's OK! Because we'll get one! Right after you explode for the first, and very messy, time!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2017, 06:43:15 pm »

Don't make him explode.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2017, 06:44:11 pm »

The words cloning center disturb me for some reason, I wonder why.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2017, 06:46:20 pm »

Because the proposition was to have a largeish room full of growing vats of genetically unstable potentially explosive superhumans?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2017, 06:47:05 pm »

As for lasers there are three kinds.

Chemical:  urns through power and makes heat beam/radiation to cut things ( in reality would do horrific damage like boil blood and explode blood vessels in intense burning. Even red smoke)

Static Laser: Powered by a atmosphere that supports static electricity.

Electron: Pushes matter away based
On frequency as the beam is propelled by magnetic field. Can actually set said frequency to different radiation so as to effect different material.

Also light energy has sound, mit and Japan of now can make hard light constructs. MIT made a knife ( light saber boy!)

Japan? Mass Effect style functioning holo keyboard.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2017, 06:56:14 pm »

I can only assume that the M in MIT now refers to something other than Massachusetts.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2017, 06:58:09 pm »

Actually those are not types of lasers, except for chemical.

Your laser types are primarily:
Chemical: By ionizing certain gases, and then firing large numbers of photons into them, the photons will be emitted with the same frequency at the same time, meaning that a peak for one is a peak for all (When graphed as a wave). This is called "coherence", and is the basic principle of "lasing", the property by which a substance, under certain conditions, will produce a beam of coherent light. Sometimes chemical reactions can render the chemical mixtures necessary inert, though functioning multiple-use chemical lasers are used today.

X-Ray (Nuclear): First, detonate a small nuclear bomb. Then, use copper rods to collect the rapidly expanding spherical shell of x-rays (That briefly outrace the explosion) and direct them towards a target. The amount of radiation (And, you know, nuclear fallout) released makes this weapon pretty much unadvisable unless you really don't care about the planetary population...or you're in deep space. Also, the bomb tends to blow things up (This is a genius revelation, brought to you by Mad Science, Inc.), like the laser system itself, so it's only a one-shot weapon.

Crystal: Firing light through certain crystal matrices will cause a lasing effect, but it does run the risk of melting the crystal if overused.

While the electron pressure effect it cools, you pretty much need to have your own personal star to make it measurable, especially at long distance, so it's not really a practical anything right now. Unless you REALLY want a solar sailer...which is unadvisable.

Hard light?.....Well, there are ways by which you can do fun things to light, but as a general rule, relativity stands, which means light always travels at the speed of light. Duh. Plasma is probably a better option.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2017, 07:04:47 pm »

Name: Yzari "Plasteel" Redbranch
Race: Tarn
Department: The Randiri Skyjumpers
Role: Operative/soldier
Skill: Piloting, hand to hand, heavy weapons, tactical/squad leadership - Focus on heavy weapons

Liability: Royal Honor - Believes that the strong should protect the weak, and in turn be given places of deference and power.  Of course Yzari and Tarn in general are particularly worthy in his eyes.

Technoglitched - Yzari loves technology and science, he just does not really understand any of it.  Penalty to using any alien, unusual or unfamiliar technology.  Most standard technology he would equip do not get the penalty as using them has been explained repeatedly with big pictures.  Newly developed tech might lose the penalty after repeated use.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:08:20 pm by VoidSlayer »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2017, 07:04:56 pm »

The "hard light" thing is probably more along the lines of a mixture of dust in the air to make the light visible plus tactile sound-based "holograms" (I know that hologram isn't really the right term, but whatever).

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 28, 2017, 07:06:32 pm »

Quite possibly. But also, SOUND-BASED? That makes almost less sense than light-based.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 28, 2017, 07:07:36 pm »

Light sabers Glass, don't ruin it.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 28, 2017, 07:10:09 pm »

Madman already declared the lightsaber knife bunk, SM.

Real scientists are actually looking into using sound to make tactile (touchable) holograms, Madman.

As for it not making sense... no, actually, it makes a lot of sense. Sound is based off of the movement of air in specific patterns of vibration. That air has force, as can be seen in the power of wind. Therefore, sound, which makes air move, makes sense as something that would allow for a "fake solid object" (to put it crudely, since that's the point of the whole endeavor, be it hard light or anything else).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:12:23 pm by Glass »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 28, 2017, 07:14:42 pm »

I'm trying to even approach visualize what you'd have to do...and I'm not sure.

Maybe, if you could get the sound waves to interfere in extremely precise ways? Maybe if you could use sound waves to compress air so much it feels like a solid? I'm not sure, but it'd definitely not be easy.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 28, 2017, 07:16:14 pm »

But people are working on this kind of tech today. Since that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd figured it out by the time that the events of this game take place.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 28, 2017, 07:19:10 pm »

Yeah I'm gonna agree with Madman on this, a lightsabre isn't going to be a reasonably practical weapon. I mean you could get a plasma blade contained in a magnetic field but it wouldn't be on for long.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27