Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fantasy World Pope SG  (Read 2712 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Fantasy World Pope SG
« on: June 25, 2017, 12:01:34 am »

The title is a bit weak, but I need a generic placeholder until the information is decided below.

Anyway, this is going to be a suggestion game where the individual controlled is a fantasy world's equivalent of the Pope.  The world will be built up through suggestions made.  Before we begin, there are a couple details that need to be sorted out:

Leader's Name: (Person you are controlling)
Leader's Race: (ex. Human, Dwarf, Elf, Orc, Goblin, etc.)

------------------------------------------------

Name of Religion: (Yes, I am letting you create your own here.)
Leader's Title: (Formal title, like Pope for the Catholic Church)
Type of Religion: (Polytheism/Monotheism)
Major Figures: (Figures of worship, prophets, prior leaders, etc.)
Central Tenets: (ex. the Five Pillars of Islam)
Holy Seat: (ex. Constantinople for Orthodoxy in the 1100s)
Adherents: (ex. 78% Dwarves, 14% Humans, 8% Other Races)
Heresies and Competing Religions: (name and one sentence description)
Starting Crisis: (At least one mess you have to deal with as the game begins)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy World Pope SG
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:20:02 am »

PTW
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 03:24:24 am »

Hopefully this isn't too ridiculous. But then again, this is bay12.

Leader's Name: Leechio
Leader's Race: Mosquito man

Name of Religion: Church of Most Fertile Flower Garden
Leader's Title: High Sunflower
Type of Religion: Polytheism
Major Figures: God of Flowers, God of Blood, and God of Rotting Carcasses
Central Tenets: Respect flowers. Provide remains of your enemies and dinners as fertilizer to gardeners.
Holy Seat: Garden of Bloody Flowers
Adherents: 95 % Mosquito men, 5% Vampires.
Heresies and Competing Religions: No idea
Starting Crisis: No idea
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 03:53:31 am »

Leader's Name: Grand Patriarch Grund
Leader's Race: Orc

Name of Religion: Qugish ('Spirit Truth' or 'Spirit Learning' in Orcish)
Leader's Title: Grand Patriarch - for female Orcs, the title is Grand Matriarch
Type of Religion: Animism/ancestor worship - the religion holds that all of the Faith become one with the ancestors after death, to guide the faithful onwards in their lives. The purpose of the Grand Patriarch and his lesser priests is to study and interpret the will of the ancestors from the omens and signs they provide
Major Figures:
No individual is supposed to be venerated above the ancestors as a whole, but the Faithful generally hold the First Speaker, the goblin Thissak, in high esteem for first discovering and teaching the truth of the ancestors. Some past Patriarchs and Matriarchs are also considered holy, for example the warrior-Matriarch Naqund of a century ago.
Central Tenets: Live according to the will of the ancestors.  Stay humble and submit to your place in society. Earn your place with the ancestors after your death with toil and service.
Holy Seat: The fortress-city of Cathmoa, capital of the secular Empire of the Sun
Adherents: 58% Orcs, 40% Goblins, 2% other races
Heresies and Competing Religions:
Mendicant Speakers: a heretical movement of virtuous wandering preachers who claim to interpret the will of the ancestors better than you.
Sanguinaria: a martial faith popular among soldiers, devoted to the worship of an Orcish war-god with blood rites and conquest.
Yuntaism: a foreign faith of men emphasizing personal virtue, freedom and salvation through self-improvement, growing rapidly in the Empire.
Starting Crisis: The Emperor is trying to rein in our independence, like so many of his predecessors in the past. We cannot allow him to succeed where they failed.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 04:08:12 am »

I mean one option is Crystal Dragon Jesus.  I was working on something like this for a radically different game.

Leader's Name: Regent Laborius the first (Original name: Dmirt Sunderhammers)
Leader's Race: Dwarf, the first dwarven Regent in fact

Name of Religion: "Eastern" Halartinism
Leader's Title: Holy Regent of the Light (Regent)

Type of Religion: Monotheism (With "great spirits" taking the role of saints)
Major Figures: The Holy Light, The Great Dragon Halartis, Many Greater Spirits
Central Tenets: Aid to the weak and poor, Destruction of the "Beast Races", submission to the church and the light, regular prayer and temple attendance.

Holy Seat: God's Blood Lake (where it is said Halartis slew the enemy gods),
Major Holy site:  Hell's Rift (where the great dragon sacrificed himself to save the souls of the dead from demons by creating paradise)
Adherents: (45% humans 25% elves 10% dwarves 10% merfolk 10% other races)

Heresies and Competing Religions: "Western" Halartinism (Heresy, A less rigid form of monotheism, with the Greater Spirits referred to as gods and intervention asked directly, the magocite(see below))
Oltrusca (Heresy, They believe all souls are protected by Halartis in paradise, not just followers or the good)
Moddocun (Competing Religion, a vile form of devil worship involving blood pacts and sacrifices, imported from the beast races(this view may be colored by animosity)
Circlist (Competing Religion, they believe in reincarnation through six different worlds under six different gods and that you need to complete a "perfect" circle to ascend, most teachings are confusing and contradictory, reveling in paradox.)

Starting Crisis: "Western" Halartinism has begun purging mages as devil worshipers and usurpers of divine power, known as the Magocite.  Halartinism has traditionally viewed magic as a dangerous and powerful force, but a natural one whose use is ultimately decided by the wielder for good or evil.  There is a split in "Eastern" Halartinism temples and fortress-nunneries about whether to embrace the killing of mages or to protect them, and it has started becoming quite violent.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 08:47:09 am »

I mean one option is Crystal Dragon Jesus.  I was working on something like this for a radically different game.

Leader's Name: Regent Laborius the first (Original name: Dmirt Sunderhammers)
Leader's Race: Dwarf, the first dwarven Regent in fact

Name of Religion: "Eastern" Halartinism
Leader's Title: Holy Regent of the Light (Regent)

Type of Religion: Monotheism (With "great spirits" taking the role of saints)
Major Figures: The Holy Light, The Great Dragon Halartis, Many Greater Spirits
Central Tenets: Aid to the weak and poor, Destruction of the "Beast Races", submission to the church and the light, regular prayer and temple attendance.

Holy Seat: God's Blood Lake (where it is said Halartis slew the enemy gods),
Major Holy site:  Hell's Rift (where the great dragon sacrificed himself to save the souls of the dead from demons by creating paradise)
Adherents: (45% humans 25% elves 10% dwarves 10% merfolk 10% other races)

Heresies and Competing Religions: "Western" Halartinism (Heresy, A less rigid form of monotheism, with the Greater Spirits referred to as gods and intervention asked directly, the magocite(see below))
Oltrusca (Heresy, They believe all souls are protected by Halartis in paradise, not just followers or the good)
Moddocun (Competing Religion, a vile form of devil worship involving blood pacts and sacrifices, imported from the beast races(this view may be colored by animosity)
Circlist (Competing Religion, they believe in reincarnation through six different worlds under six different gods and that you need to complete a "perfect" circle to ascend, most teachings are confusing and contradictory, reveling in paradox.)

Starting Crisis: "Western" Halartinism has begun purging mages as devil worshipers and usurpers of divine power, known as the Magocite.  Halartinism has traditionally viewed magic as a dangerous and powerful force, but a natural one whose use is ultimately decided by the wielder for good or evil.  There is a split in "Eastern" Halartinism temples and fortress-nunneries about whether to embrace the killing of mages or to protect them, and it has started becoming quite violent.
+1
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 11:11:59 am »

Leader Name: Jolas Myr
Race: Human
Name of Religion: Asirism/Followers of the Blue
Type of religion: Henotheism (the worship of one god while acknowledging others exist)
Title:  High Hierophant
Major Figures: Sherothel (God; stating his name in vain is forbidden. Adherents usually refer to him as the 'Watcher' or 'Benefactor'), Kyros of Lokov (first prophet), Doreski The Ascended (first to be blessed with Sherothel's power, The House of Wisdom (former theocratic council that governed the faith; long destroyed by enemies during the 'Exile from the Holy Sea')
Central Tenets:

The Benefactor Watches All: All adherents must keep in mind that every action they take will be used to judge them in death.
The Benefactor is Physical: The Benefactor is believed to be a sphere of seemingly pure sapphire that orbits the planet and is visible to the naked eye once every century.
Shareth Thou Love: All believers must share their resources, to an extent, with all others of the faith.
Dark is the Arcane: Magic is considered abominable to the faith. hen Sherothel is visible in the sky, all forms of magic weaken.
Love Through Thy Labour: Industry and labour are considered hallmarks of any adherent.
Spareth the Rod, For The Benefactor is Proof Enough: No one can be forcibly converted as the proof of the God's existence is clear to all at least once a century.
Thy Sapphire is Thy Soul: All adherents try to keep a sapphire or some sort of blue rock on them at all times. They believe that their souls are transferred to them and then delivered to Sherothel once he visits the world.
Equal is the House of Peace: Gender, Occupation, Species, Race nor Age are not reasons to discriminate or hate amongst the faithful.

Holy Seat: Kreta, Holy Seat since the Exodus.
Adherents: Dunno. Anything really.
Competing religions: Animistic pagans, polytheists that accept magic, monotheists that deny the True God's existence.
Heresies:

Solites/Followers of the Soul: Believe the Benefactor to be non-physicial and existent in all people, rather than being a physical entity in the sky.
Qorsites/Followers of the Prophet Goergos: Believe that the Prophet Goergos was not cursed for his use of magic, but blessed. Magic is indeed, a gift from the Benefactor and the purest way of connecting with Sherothel.

Starting Crisis: Heresies. The church is suffering from a deluge of heretical thought, and not just the traditional Solites or Qorsites. Peasants, merchants, nobles and even hermits are decrying the legitimacy of the holy church and thinking of their own damned and deluded explanations for God and its ways.

Ogre Pope is best Pope.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:25:56 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 12:49:25 pm »

Minor aside, I can admit I was expecting anti-popes, or a reason to start a Crusade.  Not complaining about what was given, just slightly surprised.

One thing I'd like to ask, though.  Would everyone kindly make a short description of the main temple in the seat of power?

If you are going the route of Crystal Dragon Jesus, it seems slightly surprising you don't mention Dragons as adherents, and you aren't making the Pope-expy a Dragon themselves.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 12:58:52 pm »

Are caliphs also viable options?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 02:19:54 pm »

Are caliphs also viable options?

A Caliph essentially is a Pope with a ton of land and a slightly different process of getting the position, so sure.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 03:13:47 pm »

Leader's Name: Brutus XII (if successful)
Leader's Race: Ogre

Name of Religion: Ogre Papacy
Leader's Title: Ogre Pope
Type of Religion: Henotheism
Major Figures: Wrath, patron deity (of rage, conquest and dominion); the Ogre Prophet, Bloodletter (a scholar and conqueror, father of the faith).
Central Tenets: Ogre supremacy, lesser races paying tribute and accepting ogre guidance, staving off the descent into barbarism that all ogres are prone to.
Holy Seat: High Seat The Maw
Adherents: 0.5% Ogres (priestly caste), 99.5% other races.
The Ogre Shepherds: Heresy.  Pacifistic ogre religion based off preventing barbarism through peace and acceptance rather than dominion, acting as advisors to lesser races rather than rulers.
The Blood Court: Heathens.  Henotheistic church of Wrath that accepts teachings of rage, conquest and dominion but does not accept ogre supremacy; rather that followers of Wrath should be dominant regardless of race.
The Hexarchy: Heathens.  Major polytheistic religion incorporating the other six main gods (Peace, Hope, Joy, Vigilance, Wisdom and Industry) which standard Wrath dogma rejects as not wanting to play ball.
Starting Crisis: Succession crisis.  When the Ogre Pope dies, all ogres are nominally in the running to be the new Pope and can declare themselves such.  Only when every other ogre has renounced their claim (either voluntarily or via death) and a single Pope exists can they be confirmed as the true Ogre Pope.  Right now you are head of one of the major factions supporting your claim, but there are plenty of other Pope Pretenders after your blood.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 07:32:06 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 03:54:55 pm »

You know, I almost wrote the good ol' Ogre Papacy up, but I'm glad I didn't and so steal your chance. I rather liked 'the Maw' for the name of the Holy Seat, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 04:04:49 pm »

Minor aside, I can admit I was expecting anti-popes, or a reason to start a Crusade.  Not complaining about what was given, just slightly surprised.

One thing I'd like to ask, though.  Would everyone kindly make a short description of the main temple in the seat of power?

If you are going the route of Crystal Dragon Jesus, it seems slightly surprising you don't mention Dragons as adherents, and you aren't making the Pope-expy a Dragon themselves.

I was thinking that other dragons are seen as either minor deities (great spirits) or are among the "demon gods" killed by Halartis.  Could be both at the same time.  But they are not involved in running the organization or acting as priests.

Was the description of the holy seat enough or did you need more?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 04:25:27 pm »

Major Figures: Wrath, patron deity (of rage, conquest and dominion); the Ogre Prophet, Bloodletter (a scholar and conqueror, father of the faith).
Central Tenets: Ogre supremacy, lesser races paying tribute and accepting ogre guidance, staving off the descent into barbarism that all ogres are prone to.
Holy Seat: High Seat
The Ogre Shepherds: Heresy.  Pacifistic ogre religion based off preventing barbarism through peace and acceptance rather than dominion, acting as advisors to lesser races rather than rulers.
The Blood Court: Heathens.  Henotheistic church of Wrath that accepts teachings of rage, conquest and dominion but does not accept ogre supremacy; rather that followers of Wrath should be dominant regardless of race.
The Hexarchy: Heathens.  Major polytheistic religion incorporating the other six main gods (Peace, Hope, Joy, Vigilance, Wisdom and Industry) which standard Wrath dogma rejects as not wanting to play ball.
Starting Crisis: Succession crisis.  When the Ogre Pope dies, all ogres are nominally in the running to be the new Pope and can declare themselves such.  Only when every other ogre has renounced their claim (either voluntarily or via death) and a single Pope exists can they be confirmed as the true Ogre Pope.  Right now you are head of one of the major factions supporting your claim, but there are plenty of other Pope Pretenders after your blood.

+1 Ignore my suggestion. It's been too long.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 05:42:36 pm »

Holy Seat: High Seat

+1 Ignore my suggestion. It's been too long.
+1
Pages: [1] 2