Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37

Author Topic: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread  (Read 38406 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2017, 06:46:30 am »

I'm not sure where you've got your numbers from,  but spending 4k only increases the roll chance by 4x rather than 100x, so a bar threshold of one would only be an effective threshold of four. The roll is also made before any progress is added. Once I've rolled everyone I then as progress based on money invested and tech discovered.

And yes,  high tiers start with a negative threshold.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2017, 07:00:56 am »

The roll is also made before any progress is added.

I see. That does change it a bit. It makes it so it's extremely more efficient to make exactly 1 research roll to increase the threshold and 1 research roll to actually do the roll... Like, threshold 1, 4k in the first turn has a 4% chance, 4k in the next turn has a 100% chance. So impossible the first turn and guaranteed the second is going to be the sorta byword.

Also, without secret turns means you can totally save a ton of money if someone else makes the investment and then make the research roll yourself. You'll spend half as much, but get the research at the same time as them. Yoink.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2017, 03:04:58 pm »

.. And you also get a pretty large military advantage by looking at other people's turns. I don't think being able to get a tech advantage changes much. Also, your probability math is off .. If I have a base 50%(1/2 of failure) chance, and 4x that, I get an 87.5%(1/8 of failure) chance.

Question: If two players agree to attack somewhere together, can they agree on whether to go "My army first (minus support troops), then yours once my troops are all incapacitated" or "Attack as one force under my banner?"
If they are basically acting as separate armies, can both get bonuses from a single army's support units and heroes?
If they are basically acting as separate armies, and army 1 is defeated, can army 1 claim the area instantly (no trade delay) if that's what they agreed on and army 2 isn't defecting from the agreement?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2017, 03:08:48 pm »

.. And you also get a pretty large military advantage by looking at other people's turns. I don't think being able to get a tech advantage changes much. Also, your probability math is off .. If I have a base 50%(1/2 of failure) chance, and 4x that, I get an 87.5%(1/8 of failure) chance.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works, the thresholds are real numbers until they are rolled against in the actual research check, the money multiplies the number being rolled against, not the number of rolls made. At least, that's how it's written in the research thing afaik.

IE: 4000/1000*50=200 then you roll against the 200.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 03:11:35 pm by Criptfeind »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2017, 03:12:09 pm »

So it is, sorry. That's nothing like what I expected.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2017, 03:27:58 pm »

Yeah, I have been assuming that reading people's turns was cheating.  Really changes strategy if it's not.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2017, 03:31:40 pm »

Yeah, I have been assuming that reading people's turns was cheating.  Really changes strategy if it's not.

Right now the official word I recall on it is "I'd rather you not."... Which, I think I've mentioned in passing on this thread how likely I think that is to stop people when the game starts to heat up from trying to get advantages.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2017, 03:33:15 pm »

Fair point.  For now, I shall keep this going.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2017, 04:53:47 pm »

Yeah, I've been abstaining from reading turns, but to be honest, if I ever get into a war with someone, I'll be askind if I can PM them or fill them in some other ways.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2017, 05:09:12 pm »

Question: If two players agree to attack somewhere together, can they agree on whether to go "My army first (minus support troops), then yours once my troops are all incapacitated" or "Attack as one force under my banner?"
If they are basically acting as separate armies, can both get bonuses from a single army's support units and heroes?
If they are basically acting as separate armies, and army 1 is defeated, can army 1 claim the area instantly (no trade delay) if that's what they agreed on and army 2 isn't defecting from the agreement?
To make it simple for me,  and to require the least edits to the program,  allies can throw their armies at an enemy separately (in which case I process each battle in turn. This could mean throwing s bunch of small armies at a larger one and all dying horribly) or one player is selected to lead the combined army,  it will be treated as one army under their control for all purposes. I will allow players to continue paying the upkeep for their units in sometime else's army,  or however it your decide to do it. A players troops will only take part in the battle if approved,  thus you could pull your forces out from under your ally if you wish. With regards to casualties in a combined army,  that is entirely up to the player in charge as to who has been considered to have lost the troops. The conquered territory will go to the owner of the winning army by default,  but a recipient can be agreed on beforehand.

With regards to looking at other people's turn spoilers,  I don't want you to but as pointed out there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not going to start sending people their turns by pm because that is too much hassle,  but if you wish you can send your actions to me by pm. Please make sure you post in the thread saying you've done this though,  as I will not remember that you've sent it to me otherwise.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2017, 05:15:21 pm »

but if you wish you can send your actions to me by pm.

This seems like a good solution to it (I agree getting turns back via pm would be going too far, not only would it be a hassle, but it'd also kill the game for any spectators). I might start doing it on principle, although not this turn.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:18:55 pm by Criptfeind »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2017, 06:23:15 pm »

Bartiro watched from afar as Maria worked with the latest crop of spearbeasts. Although the army had long outgrown the small training yard they used to hold drills in, tradition held and Bartiro made it a point to attend as many sessions as he could, even if that was a dwindling number as the mounting responsibilities of governance and keeping the factious houses in line kept him at his desk though lunch more and more. They were the last group that were to be inducted into the army as it replenished and rested itself after the campaign against the blight. Soon he knew that they would march out, for the first time working as an actual army instead of disparate squads each left to their own devices under the new Commander Maira.... Bartiros tongue flickered out in consternation as he considered the new commander who had managed to accumulate so much power under herself in so little time. A hero of several unification battles, and the quick wit that had taken care of most of the work to dispose of the imperial envoy. She had rode these successes to great popularity among the other tiefling houses, and when her supporters pushed for her to be appointed to commander the decision was politically impossible to not make. Even if the army was technically still loyal to the republic, and thus Bartiro, the reality was his control and position among the houses was weakened by giving away this position to another. Although she seemed willing to work with him for now, Bartiro was greatly discomforted by this potential threat to his leadership... Still, there was nothing he could do about it for now. So he bent back to his task of penning a letter.

A minor country far to the south had sent a message, seemingly to all the nations it could. More important to the Republic then the context of the message was the messenger himself. A new type of person hitherto not see in the republic. The typical morass of opinions and demands had swirled though society as the greater houses tries to find out a proper response to learning of a new race. Certain hard line factions declared them bestial, and demanded that the messenger be ritually tortured and eaten. Others pointing out that from the lack of fur that it was clear the new race was some middling caste, and should be treated as any other harmless but lesser nation, and that they should even consider not torturing and eating the messenger, in case that gave the wrong impression to their newly discovered potential trading partners. Bartiro was one of these moderates himself, and had managed to secure the life and freedom of the messenger, and was about to send it back to whatever backwards country it had come from with the letter he was currently writing.

Although the teifling houses had always followed a martial focused tradition of society, the economic boom of so many subjugated regions had slowly had a slow but transformation effective on several of the teifling houses. As the wealth wielded by the houses that oversaw the beasts who worked the fields grew, some of them experimented and branched their economic interests outward. Only time would tell if this would bear fruit for these houses.

Iituem: you know that you can only send money to people you can trade with?

Where was this rule? I wasn't able to find it. (Although that's probably just me.) I'm not totally sure if it's true.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2017, 08:04:28 pm »

The rule was stated here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2017, 11:17:08 pm »

Cool, thank you.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2017, 05:56:25 am »

A Letter to the Bernstock Guild (cause we can write your name wrong too you know)
Of course we accept this proposal! The spice between our two nations must flow.
signed,
the Grand Marshal
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37