Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37

Author Topic: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread  (Read 38398 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2017, 09:21:59 am »

By the way. Uh. Once troops attack a province, are they stuck in that province until the end of the turn? Or can we give them another order? Like, all guys in province A attack B, and the unwounded survivors attack C.?Or all guys in province A attack B, and the survivors move back into A?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2017, 09:25:29 am »

By the way. Uh. Once troops attack a province, are they stuck in that province until the end of the turn? Or can we give them another order? Like, all guys in province A attack B, and the unwounded survivors attack C.?Or all guys in province A attack B, and the survivors move back into A?

I can confirm this is the case, I gave orders to move 1 territory, make an attack, then move survivors with movement back 1 territory as well.  No idea if you could blitzkrieg and move 1 territory, attack, then move 1 territory, attack the next in the same turn.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2017, 11:12:21 am »

Yes, units may attempt to fight their way through one territory into another (and another and another...) so long as they have movement for it. I will also accept related conditional orders within reason. I reserve the right to revoke that for my own sanity though.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2017, 07:03:15 pm »

Thats true we could trade. You fancy a trade agreement snow dwarf?
Sure
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2017, 03:43:43 am »

Two questions: what is the difference between
"Furthermore, for every £500 someone invests in a technology, the base threshold will permenantly increase by 1 point, for everyone. Every £150 extra that person invests increases the threshold by another 1 point." - from this game's rules
and
"Every turn that £500 or more is invested into a technology by anyone, the base cap will rise by 1.  For every £150 above £500 invested into a technology (in one sitting), the base cap will increase by a further 1." - from the original Fiefdoms @ War rules?
if there is a difference, how much will investing £1000, £1100 and £1150 in a single turn increase the base cap?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2017, 03:48:07 am »

By my reading of the rules, it depends on how many people invested the amount. If one person paid it as a lump sum, the cap raised by 3, 4 and 4. If for exemple, the 1150 were split between a guy paying 500 and one paying 650, the cap would raise by three. If it is split in 3 investment of ~380, the cap won't raise at all.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2017, 03:59:18 am »

You have to invest at least £500 yourself in order to raise the cap. It doesn't matter how much anyone else paid.

In your example, if one person invested £1000 they'd up the cap by 4, £1100 would up by 5 and £1150 would up by 5.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2017, 04:03:22 am »

Oh, yeah, 4,5, 5, my bad.

And those don't need to be on the same turn, right? If I invest 500 on turn one, and 300 on turn two, I'll raise the cap by 3 overall, right?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2017, 04:05:29 am »

It has to be in one go. On turn two you need to get to £500 again before you start upping the cap.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:45:38 am by Kashyyk »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2017, 04:11:43 am »

Thanks for clearing that up.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2017, 06:05:55 am »

Is the max cost of any research project 15,200? (if paid as a lump sum) Or do research base levels start going into the negative?

Edit: Wait, no, that's not how it works. It'd be significantly lower then that because money both raises the cap and increases the multiplier.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:08:25 am by Criptfeind »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2017, 06:08:13 am »

Is the max cost of any research project 15,200? (if paid as a lump sum) Or do research base levels start going into the negative?

How did you reach that number?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2017, 06:09:30 am »

I mean, that'd raise threshold 1 to threshold 100, however that's not actually required for a 100% shot. I forgot (I woke up like 4 minutes ago) that money is also a multiplier. So it'd be significantly lower then that.

2k gives a 24% chance on threshold 1.

3k gives 54% chance on threshold 1.

4k gives 100% chance on threshold 1. Implying that 4k is the max cost of any research, unless thresholds start going into negatives.

4k isn't a lot of money, even if the money doesn't multiply much further past what we can see now. It's reasonable to get around 1k per good province with some of the basic technology we can see. Which means unless thresholds start plummeting we're going to see research turn blazing fast soon.

Actually doing this little bit of thinking about research has convinced me that 500 is probably really bad for me to be putting into research. It's going to be hugely ironic if the turn was already rolled, I got the research, and then I edit my turn to more money and get a reroll and don't get the research, but I'm going to wack in in extra 300, bring that cap up a little bit, get that multiplier up 30%

It's pretty pointless for me to save money for what I was going to save it for.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:29:47 am by Criptfeind »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2017, 06:33:06 am »

This is the sort of problem that never came up during the first F@W because it never ran long enough to be an issue.  Although quite possibly this does just mean Kash either needs to rework the tech system at some point or actually just start applying negative thresholds for difficult tech.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2017, 06:38:36 am »

Yeah jeez Iituem. You should have run it longer. I was doing -great- in that one.

Also one of you needs to die so I can get in here. :(
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37