Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Making a Half-Breed  (Read 6569 times)

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Half-Breed
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 06:18:08 am »

For a DF response, yo dwarf, how do you feel about the idea of all and any Amazon Spider Fortress Girl having once been a "he"? :P

modtools/transform goes way past just changing the gender.

Regarding the OP, I wonder how will the inheritance of other things work - and, huh. Native populations tend to have given possible colour/etc. ranges for their appearances, but this can mean things like all dwarves in world being bronze-skinned due genetic bottlenecking. Wonder if you could get GMO dwarves with green/gray skin via arranged marriages to goblins?
While using gui/gm-editor to change race as described in the thread you've linked, all of the appearance values and genes values will remain the same. This indeed will cause green skinned dwarfs if you change a goblin to a dwarf, and his/her genetics will also hold values for green skin (resulting in his/her kids having a green color). That being said it can also cause some problems, like crashing the game when checking thoughts and preferences tab. Again in the thread you've linked OP came to a conclusion that the crashes were caused by two tags in animal people's raws, but when i did some research on this i found that it's actually an appearance what caused crashes, probably, because animal people can't have as much variation in color as dwarfs. I also have found that in some worlds (or civs) transforming dwarfs to badger people works fine and with other worlds/civs caused crashes. That is mostly because specific civs have limited range of appearance based on their culture and genetics and if you get lucky it will fall in range with animal people of your choice. To create a badger people fort I’ve changed the race of all starting dwarfs and then changed appearance to numbers I took before from seven different badger man adventurers.
Of course all of those manipulations do require some sort of cheating and you can also do it in another way: just change color of the skin to a value correspondant to green color, and change genes colors to the same value.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 08:30:53 am »

Huh, interesting and unexpected. Thanks for clarifying - transforming creatures is not exactly unheard of in mods.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 12:04:45 am »

Been my experience that the genes just get copied from the mom on "incompatible/unknown" male parentage situations.  Ran into that when using dfhack to create breeding owl-person populations.

In regards to the experiment, I tried something similar long ago in the 40d era.  Back then, there was a different tool that could poke the creature vector. I transformed the male of a married couple into a male minotaur to see what would happen. While the female did get preggers, she continually miscarried as long as the male was a minotaur.

Personally, a more interesting question is what happens to were-creatures who are preggers. If they give birth while transformed, do they give birth to baby werecreatures that lack a dwarven soul/ID vector? 

Science is probably needed.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 07:37:03 am »

Just did a quick test with werebeast pregnancies. I already had werebison converter setup for visitors in my fort, so i took married dwarf couple and converted them (took a few tries, werebisons are extremely deadly). Put them together into sealed room with beds and checked for pregnancies, and female was already pregnant.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Than I waited for next full moon. When they turned i checked again and she was still pregnant
Changed pregnancy timer to 100, waited and... nothing happened. When they turned back she had a thought about miscarriage
After reloading previous save and repeating this process a couple of times I had the same results. To exclude the possibility of other causes for miscarriage I set the timer to make her give birth right after transformation back into dwarf, and she gave birth to a normal baby. In one try there were even triplets
It looks like if the timer goes to 0 when she's in werebison form than it will result in a miscarriage. But she also was badly injured before (during infecting process) and was hungry and thirsty being locked without food, so to properly test this i need to wait for another full moon, but i don't have much time right now.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 01:02:22 pm »

And here I am thinking how I can use this to embark as dwarves, open the city for citizens of different races, and how re-populate the fortress with mixed races.

dwarf+goblin = godwarfs? 
dwarf+human =halfling? 
dwarf+elf = dwelf? 
dwarf+kobold = hobbit?
dwarf+lizardman = snek?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 06:28:20 pm »

And here I am thinking how I can use this to embark as dwarves, open the city for citizens of different races, and how re-populate the fortress with mixed races.

dwarf+goblin = godwarfs? 
dwarf+human =halfling? 
dwarf+elf = ABOMINATION
dwarf+kobold = hobbit?
dwarf+lizardman = snek?

fixed that for you.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 04:12:58 am »

throwing children into a dank pit while constantly being attacked by wooden spears and only having mushrooms and wine made of said mushrooms to sustain them until their 12th birthday when they are drafted into the militia where they serve until they get sent to hell to act as demon fodder

*ahem* I'll have you know the dank pit was very luxuriously furnished and the food and drink was the very best the fortress could produce, thankyouverymuch!

But yes, I too am mildy uncomfortable after reading this thread; I thought after the sentient dogs episode nothing in DF would get me anymore.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 12:50:22 pm »

throwing children into a dank pit while constantly being attacked by wooden spears and only having mushrooms and wine made of said mushrooms to sustain them until their 12th birthday when they are drafted into the militia where they serve until they get sent to hell to act as demon fodder

*ahem* I'll have you know the dank pit was very luxuriously furnished and the food and drink was the very best the fortress could produce, thankyouverymuch!

But yes, I too am mildy uncomfortable after reading this thread; I thought after the sentient dogs episode nothing in DF would get me anymore.

oh right i forgot that part, otherwise they would go insane from stress.

and by sentient dogs are you referring to the dog surgeons or something else?
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 02:16:36 pm »

by sentient dogs are you referring to the dog surgeons or something else?

Yes, it's unsettling that the supposedly dumb animals you're about to kill horribly suddenly start begging for mercy.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 02:42:30 pm »

Food that speaks isn't - wait, don't you use troglodytes and goblin invaders for childcare? I think those can beg for mercy too.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 03:39:47 pm »

Food that speaks isn't - wait, don't you use troglodytes and goblin invaders for childcare? I think those can beg for mercy too.

Invaders, yes, but with them that is to be expected and perfectly acceptable. They knew the risks when they joined the siege force.

Those poor doggos, though... I suppose they were expecting to start new lives in a new fort as Bone Doctors and Carpenters...

Uhhh... welcome?

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 02:40:57 am »

We kinda got off topic, but can you provide a link to the thread with sentient dogs? I'm intrigued.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 04:42:23 am »

We kinda got off topic, but can you provide a link to the thread with sentient dogs? I'm intrigued.

That was a recurring theme at one point in the Dwarven Child Care thread. Dark times, dark times.

I promise to stop derailing this thread any further...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:51:10 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 10:12:14 am »

dwarf+lizardman = snek?
Bearded lizard.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 09:42:42 am »

So i had the twins of urab and fighto II retire in Shootband after a wonderful adventuring career!
i soon got bored of my fortress and

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:28:01 pm by UselessMcMiner »
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.
Pages: 1 [2] 3