Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wat  (Read 2021 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Wat
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:22:31 am »

Uuuum, I've been playing for four years, and I've never seen this. I left my old site, as it was getting a little fps-deathy down at 2 fps, and embarked on a new volcano. And uh, well... Have a look.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What can cause this? It's so weird to look at, even weirder than the flat volcanoes of days gone by.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wat
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 03:28:56 am »

I've made a region manipulator tool that can change the elevation of a region tile so that an immediate subsequent embark there (without changing world tile focus) gets the effect you see, i.e. an almost sheer drop at the embark tile edges. The same tool can also flatten a volcano, and I think the situation displayed can be generated with it.
I'd say the region tile where the volcano is located has a considerably higher elevation value than the tiles surrounding it, so you get an embark tile with a volcano at a high elevation, surrounded by the other tiles at a considerably lower one.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:33:07 am »

I've made a region manipulator tool that can change the elevation of a region tile so that an immediate subsequent embark there (without changing world tile focus) gets the effect you see, i.e. an almost sheer drop at the embark tile edges. The same tool can also flatten a volcano, and I think the situation displayed can be generated with it.
I'd say the region tile where the volcano is located has a considerably higher elevation value than the tiles surrounding it, so you get an embark tile with a volcano at a high elevation, surrounded by the other tiles at a considerably lower one.

Yeah just copied, retired and checked, it's max height next to 0... Never seen this before, making liberal use of the max height 12x12 spire in the middle of the map. The hall to the lava is pretty long though, even with wheelbarrows it's slow...
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 03:50:34 am »

Did you do anything with advanced world gen settings?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 04:29:14 am »

Did you do anything with advanced world gen settings?

Nope, this world was made with the regular world creator.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:34:06 pm »

I am really curious as to what the area around it is like. Is it all flat except this weird mountain/volcano in the center?

Also, world gen info?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 05:38:32 pm »

I am really curious as to what the area around it is like. Is it all flat except this weird mountain/volcano in the center?

Also, world gen info?

Aye it's flat, completely flat, there's just the volcano in the bottom quarter and a cool spire separate from the volcano, which I'm making my fort in.

And, how do I provide that?

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 05:56:37 pm »

That spawn actually looks like a lot of fun :o
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 06:12:54 pm »

So far it has been, tons of gold and silver nuggets, apples and plums, a good amount of above ground fruit, water that doesn't evaporate in the summer, trade with all tradeable nations+goblins are nearby, only problem is buzzard men harass your workers often, which is why I'm moving everything into the spire. Problem is, it has no iron or copper, so hammers and leather armour is your way to go for military, though I am shipping in as much as I can from the mountain home. Funny part it there's easy access to flux stone, which is what drew me here, to get steel on a volcano... Ohwell, least I can make cool marble statues.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 06:26:24 pm »

Sounds like you should start with silver bludgeoning weapons and use the value in your other stuff to trade for expensive iron from home so you can make steel armor. 

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 07:37:49 pm »

Did I mention that I've received three forces of darkness? This is one cool map.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 07:44:29 pm »

Also, world gen info?

Aye it's flat, completely flat, there's just the volcano in the bottom quarter and a cool spire separate from the volcano, which I'm making my fort in.

And, how do I provide that?

To get this load your fort, then press esc and choose export images.  This creates several files in your (top level) DF folder - the one with the relevant information is something like 'regionx-world_gen_param.txt'.  Post this here.  :)  Pasteing (appending) the contents of this in your /data/init/world_gen.text allows reproducing the world as it was when world generation ended by selecting the entry in advanced world generation.

That is an awesome vanilla world!

p.s. Duplication only works in same version of DF...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:50:16 pm by feelotraveller »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 08:19:04 pm »

Which folder do I find the exported images in? Can't seem to find out what the top level df folder is.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 11:54:23 pm »

RIP. The fort died, the fourth invasion of darkness was finally more than eight goblins. We weren't yet done training the militia, our twenty strong soldiers in leather armour with wooden shields and silver hammers were slaughtered by beak dogs and goblins. Now... To reclaim it, or just move on...

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 11:56:23 pm »

The folder which contains the 'data' folder.  In my case it is inside 'df_linux', but whatever the folder for your version is.  Might be 'Dwarf Fortress' or something like 'win32-df' or maybe something else if you use LNP or a preinstalled tileset/graphics pack.  It is also the folder that contains the 'hack' folder if you have/use dfhack.
Pages: [1] 2