Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: You Can't Die: Benevolent Beasts (community story) Centaur  (Read 3937 times)

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: You Can't Die: Benevolent Beasts (community story) Centaur
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 07:25:03 pm »

Order a few centaurs back to the village to warn anyone left and prepare defenses.
Gather stray horses and herd them into a stampede against the enemy formation. Tell any arrowless comrades we see to help us out in this effort.
Max avatar size is 80x80

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 08:12:54 pm »

Order a few centaurs back to the village to warn anyone left and prepare defenses.
Gather stray horses and herd them into a stampede against the enemy formation. Tell any arrowless comrades we see to help us out in this effort.
+1
Locate the voice in the crowd, which is probably their commander. Shoot the commander before we run out of arrows. If we disrupt them our attack will be more effective.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 10:00:20 pm »

The humans started slowly moving towards your homes, protected by their wall of shields. You shout to some of the warriors closer to the village, "Warn them, get the children out!" Two Centaurs who had run out of missile weapons turned around and raised the alarm. The foals and nursing mothers came out of their huts and retreated slowly into the woods. Some of the children who were too young to use bows, but old enough to run on their own joined in with throwing rocks at the army. You had one arrow left, and you tried to find the position of the commander who was giving the marching orders. You finally spot a small tuft of colored fur coming out of the shield roof. It was most likely the decorative marking of an officer. You aim your bow nearly straight upwards, feel for the speed of the wind, and you account for the speed of the army. When the time was right, you fire. The arrow flies nearly straight up, but a tailwind moves it towards the army. At the apex, the arrow tumbles uselessly for a few moments, before the fletching catches the air once again, and the stone tip points towards the shield wall.

You noticed that each time the army stepped, the shields made small gaps in the roof which permeated in a wave fashion. You timed your shot just right, such that the arrow flew through one of those exact gaps, and struck the commander right at the base of the backside of his neck. His armor was his downfall, because the stone tip ground itself against the edge of his plate armor, which forced the falling arrow inside the plates, and against the man's back. The sharp arrow tore a gash all the way down the man's back, from his neck to his posterior. You couldn't see any detail, but you heard his scream, and saw one of the roof shields collapse. The few Centaurs with arrows still used this weakness, and exploited it. Arrows zipped through the gap and struck other footmen. Their armor prevented most of them from dying,
but a good half-dozen died before the hole was closed once again. You ride to the front of the army, and notice many wandering horses from the dead cavalry charges. You instruct the younger Centaurs to help you in driving the horses towards the army. They all eagerly agree to help. With some coordination, you and the younger ones drive the horses into the wall of spears. You feel terrible sacrificing the innocent creatures, but the alternative was the destruction of your home. The horses slam full speed into the wall, skewering themselves on the spears, but their force tore a hole in the formation, and nearly split the entire formation in two. With a second wave of horses, the entire formation broke, and footmen begain trying to mount the horses to make a quick getaway. Your fellow Centaurs pick off the footmen still on the ground, but siz footmen managed to mount up and started running back north, back towards their kingdom.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 10:51:47 pm »

Dang we got skills!

Round up the survivors and strip them of weapons and armor. Interrogate them for what they know.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 11:40:19 pm »

Dang we got skills!
In case you haven't read the OOC, you literally cannot fail at anything. That's the gimmick of this game. Have fun with it, and get creative.

"Leave some alive for interrogation!" You shout at some of the Centaurs picking off the grounded units. You suspect that they were too bent on avenging Erelibos and Orivall to heed your instruction though. After all, Clalus was the true commander, not you. You set off to run down the escaping footmen, and a few Centaurs follow you without being told. The riders were still donned in their heavy armor, which made their horses slower, and easy to catch up with. You reach the first human, and he desperately swipes his longsword at you. You dodge the attack, and you grab the human by the scuff of his neck, and painfully lift him off the horse. You drop him in the dirt, and he slides along the ground, before coming to a stop after twenty yards. You and the Centaurs who came with you repeat a similar process on the other escaping swordsmen, although your comrades were slightly more violent with their attacks.

Once the last man was dealt with, you circled back around, and coalesced the disarmed survivors back to the town, so they could be questioned. As you suspected, the Centaurs back in the village were brutal in their administration of justice. However, they did leave one man still alive. Along with the three that you caught while escaping, there were four survivors. All of them were terrified, but had a hard resolve about them. It would be difficult to make them talk. Clalus began questioning the men "When will the next attack be? Who else is under attack right now? What madness has brought your King to genocide multiple species?" They were good questions, but the men just sat silently, nobody was intent on answering.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:55:28 am by origamiscienceguy »
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 12:51:57 am »

Trample one of the men until they agree to speak. Maybe not to death, but close enough.
Black lives matter.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 08:25:27 am »

Trample one of the men until they agree to speak. Maybe not to death, but close enough.

+1, make sure they answer those questions. Also ask where they come from, it may be wise to counter attack.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 12:49:05 pm »

Clalus was clearly flustered by the loss of his father. The humans could see that, and continued to not say a word. Clalus became fed up with the human he was speaking to, and he stabbed the man through the chest with his sword. The human fell over, and died with a smile on his face. Clalus became even more frustrated as he attempted to interrogate another human, but you could see that none of this was going to go anywhere. You take action, kicking one of the humans to the ground with your front leg, and pinning him to the ground with your two front hooves, one on his groin, and the other pressing down on his sternum. The man let out a wail of shock as the breath was knocked out of him, and before he could get another breath in, you pressed down on his sternum with enough force to keep him from breathing. "Answer his questions." You say with a stone cold resolve. The man shuts his mouth, intent on not doing as you ask. You slowly press down harder on his sternum, forcing what little air he had left to leave his mouth. You continue to press down harder, and you hear the sound of fracturing ribs.

The man winces in pain at each crack, until he finally soundlessly opens his mouth, an indication that he might do what you ask. You release the pressure enough so that he can get a shallow breath into his lungs, and he used that breath to say, "...I... tttTalk." You step off of him completely, and he takes a strained breath, wincing in pain as the breathe opens his fractured ribcage. Clalus eagerly comes over to begin questioning the human, but you warn him, "Get him away from the others first." Some centaurs pick up the rag doll body and carry him far away. Most Centaurs follow, but enough stay behind so that the other two humans couldn't escape. The human was dropped onto the ground far enough away to be out of earshot of the other humans. "When will the next attack be?" Clalus asked with the most aggressive tone you have every heard in your life. The man was still catching his breath and clutching his broken chest. "This was... Big invasion... We attack you, Shokan, and Satyrs in same day... That's all I know." "Why has King Lorson done this? We had no quarrel with him." Clalus demanded. The other Centaurs around him listened intently. "Not enough food for Kingdom. We must expand." "Nonsense, Clalus began, "I have been to your kingdom in my younger years. There is enough land for a kingdom twice your size. I will not tolerate another lie. Why has King Lorson done this?" The human looked terrified, "That's what I was told. I don't question my orders, I just follow them... *cough*" Clalus had had enough, and kicked the man in the side of his head. The human's eyes rolled back into his head, and he collapsed, unconscious.

Later that day, the surviving Centaurs were busy burying their dead and treating the wounded. Along with Erelibos and Orivall, about eighty other Centaurs were slain on this day, nearly half of the entire village. There was no celebration. You were helping bury the dead, and you personally saw a dozen of your friends and family placed into dirt holes that you constructed. Clalus and the surviving elders were in a meeting outside of the village. You were not invited. You felt stung by that rejection, but in the heat of battle, it is very likely that nobody noticed your heroics. You can't let your pride take over. All through the day, you and the surviving Centaurs cleaned up the battlefield, burying the fallen Centaurs, and stacking the dead humans in a pile to be burned. At dusk, Erelibos's dead body was brought to be buried.
He was still in his armor, with sword in hand. The entire village gathered round to watch the ceremony. By this point, you had become numb to all the death around you, but most of the village was openly weeping at the sight of their chief being put under the earth. The event passed quickly to you, and before you knew it, Clalus had gathered all the able-bodied Centaurs who were still willing to fight.

"We know the humans came from their forward operating base a league north of here. There must be an officer there who knows why they are trying to genocide the entire valley. I am asking all who are willing to fight to come with me to raze that place to the ground. But first, we need some support. Our scouts have shown that the Satyrs chose to accept the Humans' warning and they are in the middle of relocating. Someone must tell them of the counterattack we have planned, and convince them to support us. The Shokan to the west chose to fight, and they repelled the attack much like we did. If anyone is willing to attempt to speak to the Shokan, I would be greatful. Also, farther to the south are the scattered remnants of the Minotaurs, Griffons, and Cyclopses. While only a few remain, their strength in battle could define the outcome." Several Centaurs volunteered to talk to the Satyrs, as they had been friends of the Centaurs for centuries. A couple also were willing to seek out the scattered remnants of the Minotaurs, Griffons, and Cyclopses. But nobody was willing to enter Shokan territory and ask them for help. The Shokan were not keen on anybody entering their borders, and their think heads were difficult to reason with.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 07:28:04 pm »

Do the unwanted task. Volunteer to speak with the Shokan.
Max avatar size is 80x80

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 08:13:48 pm »

"I will go to the Shokan." You say simply. Everybody looks at you doubtfully. Clalus warned you, "They can be easily provoked. Don't do anything rash, or their entire species will be out for our blood. You must be very cautious around them. They will likely be berserk right now because of the recent attack. Good luck." The Centaurs all went out across the land to their assigned species. You ventured out on your own,
 to the west. You left the open plains and entered a lush forest. You always felt claustrophobic in forests, but with your life-threatening assignment, you didn't really feel bad this time. After a few minutes of trudging through the undergrowth, you started to smell decay and smoke. You came into a clearing, and witnessed a surprising scene. The Shokan were all celebrating around a bonfire, except instead of wood feeding the fire, the fire was fed with all the bodies of their last combat. There were many humans in the pile, but there were also dead Shokan in there as well. You were slightly disgusted by their seeming disregard for their own lives, but force yourself to ignore the fact in order to attempt to get their attention. You walk into a clearing, and one of the dancing Shokan notices you. "AHA! Another one has come! Jump in!" You have no idea if he means for you to join the fire, or join the dancing circle. You really didn't want to do either.

perubean

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 05:07:21 pm »

Enthusiastically jump into the dancing circle, and get acquainted with one of the Shokan, asking him if he would like to fight the humans again.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 08:35:26 pm »

You put all your fears aside, and assume the Shokan wanted you to dance. As you walk towards the dancing circle, you smell the repugnant odor of alcohol, and you realize that most likely, everybody is drunk on some liquor. Regardless, you jump right into the circle, and start shouting and moving with the Shokan. Nobody seems to care. You talk to your neighbor next to you, a younger, smaller Shokan. "Did you just kill the humans?" He replies extremely drunkenly, "Yesh. We jushed killed lotsh humansh. I wish theye moe of dem." You tell him "There are more of them. Tell your friends I can get them more humans to fight!" The young Shokan seemed incredibly impressed by this and yelled to the whole group. "DISH GUY KNOWSH WHERE MOE HUMANSH ARE!" The dancing stops, and everybody looks at you. Even in their drunken state, some of them notice you don't look right. Shokan were massive, 4-armed humanoids, and you didn't quite match that stature.

"Whatsh wrong with you? Why are your armsh growing out of yore but?" One Shokan asked. "Where are da humansh? We killed all the onesh dat came here already." Another asked "How wudd you know where da humansh are? Are you a humansh?" A third asked rather threateningly. You must be cautious with your answers.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 10:35:10 pm »

Explain that we are a centaur. Recount the human attack on our people. Talk about the plan to unite the other beasts for an attack against the human kingdom.
Max avatar size is 80x80

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 11:43:12 pm »

You calm down the drunkards. You knew that they were not the brightest creatures in the southern wilds, but while intoxicated, they became rather nonsensical. "I am not a human, nor am I a Shokan." "Yoe a Shokan? What ish wrong wid yoe but?" one asks. "No. I am not a Shokan. I am a Centaur. We all have butts like this." You answer as clearly as possible. "oh." The Shokan answers, as if that cleared everything up for him. "I know where more humans are. They have a small fortress a few miles north of here. Who wants to kill some of them?" You ask enthusiastically, hoping that you could rally them behind the cause while they were too stuporous to notice what they were getting into. You reason that fighting humans is something they wouldn't mind doing either way. Your question seemed to work, as the entire group roared into action. "Kill da humansh! I want!" "Shave shome for me!" "I wanna ride da pony!" They start rushing you, and you run away in fear, but it seems that they were following you, not trying to kill you. Throughout the rest of the day, right up until the sun sets, you lead the army north towards the human fortress Clalus told you about. Right when the sun touches the horizon, you see the fortress, and all the creatures who were about to attack it.

The fortress itself was somewhat small, as it was only being used for the invasion of the southern wilds. Despite this, it was very well defended, with twenty ballistae lining the wall, facing every direction. Even from a distance, you see the walls are dense with archers and spearmen. The walls were high enough so that no creature smaller than a giant could vault it. Unfortunately, the giants had gone extinct centuries ago. if anybody was to get inside, they would have to climb the wall, fly over, or go through the only gate into the fortress. The gate was two heavy wooden doors braced with iron strips, and most certainly barred from the inside. The highest concentration of ballistae and archers was right over the gatehouse. It would be a brutal combat just to get inside. Using your heightened vision, you barely bake out the colorful plume above one human's head, marking him as an officer of some sort. He would have to be kept alive if you were to get the information you needed.

The Shokan trudged up towards the attacking camp, much to the relief of the other races there. There were hundreds of Satyrs, the fifty-or-so remaining Centaurs, and a scattering of Minotaurs, Griffons, and Cyclopses. But the arrival of the Shokan really bolstered the strength and numbers of the attacking force. You find Clalus and head towards him. He was devising a strategy with the leader of the Satyrs, and he was overjoyed to see you. "You brought them! This will help tremendously! We can send the Shokan into the gate, covered by wooden..." However, his plan was cut short by the sound of a battlecry. The Shokan had seen the humans, and immediately rushed the walls, with no regard for their own safety. They would most likely be slaughtered if they were not given an opportunity to get through the wall.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 10:47:48 am »

Rush in front of the Shokan. Lure them under the guise of being a human. Probably by shouting thunderously "Me human on pony! Me human on pony! Follow me dumb Shokony!" Have them chase you to a hill, tree, or something you can hide behind momentarily. Make a small cut on our hand, smear the blood our mouth, and inform the Shokans that you ate the devilish human.
Max avatar size is 80x80
Pages: 1 [2] 3