Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: You Can't Die: Benevolent Beasts (community story) Shokan  (Read 2862 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: You Can't Die: Benevolent Beasts (community story) Shokan
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 09:24:00 pm »

"Strength is valued more than cunning among our people. That does not mean all of us are stupid. I do not think there is truly nothing for me here. Do you know what a martial trance is?"
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 09:51:33 pm »

"Strength is valued more than cunning among our people. That does not mean all of us are stupid. I do not think there is truly nothing for me here. Do you know what a martial trance is?" You say in as dignified of a voice as possible. The woman turns, and you look into her wise, brown eyes. "Describe this 'Martial Trance'" She says. "I was fighting, when all of a sudden, time slowed down... or my thoughts sped up. I was able to predict and anticipate my enemy's every move. And my brethren described something weird about my eyes during it." The woman looked quizzically. "Interesting. Perhaps you could help me after all. I have waited far to long. But first, you must prove yourself in combat." The woman drew a simple knife from her boot, then dropped it at her side. She then clenched her hands into fists, and started circling around you.

Was she crazy? How could a human hope to best a Shokan in unarmed combat? You entered a fighting pose, but did so not very enthusiastically. You take a moment to speak "I don't think that I should..." But in the time that you were uttering that statement, she dashed into your guard, ducked underneath your arms, and did a jumping uppercut straight into your jaw. You bite your tongue as her fist closes your mouth mid-sentence. You flail wildly during your moment of blindness, but she had retreated just out of your reach, and circled behind you while you were distracted. One. Two. Three forceful jabs smashed into your kidneys causing you much pain. You wheel around and stand in a more optimum position, ready to combat her with all your ability this time.

The next engagements were largely stalemates. She was lightning fast, and seemed to be able to predict what you were going to do. You could never hit her, but at the same time, the hits she gave to you were not very critical. However, you would eventually run out of stamina, while hers seemed to be bottomless. She was somehow more powerful in her physical attributes. You would have to find a way to counter that.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 09:55:49 pm »

"You are a worthy opponent. All the same, I intend to win." Begin observing her patterns, see if there is any place she's off guard.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2017, 10:01:10 pm »

"You are a worthy opponent. All the same, I intend to win." You say while trying to sound confident. You attempt to mix up your approach, feigning attacks with three of your arms while following through with only one. Yet time and time again, she manages to predict exactly which one to dodge, and she managed to get a few more hits onto you once again. You study her closely, abandoning the berserk fighting you had been trained to do as a child. You look at her arms and legs, all of them were incredibly fit. You look at her head, her long hair was braided so that it would not get in her face. Grabbing her hair could work, but she was aware of this, and she kept it just out of reach. You look into her eyes, and then you see it. Her eyes lacked irises, it seemed that her pupils were engulfing her eyes, with small flashes of color appearing for mere moments whenever you attacked. Is this what your friends saw back when you were fighting the humans?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2017, 10:05:11 pm »

"Do you use the same power I did? If so, I will attempt to match it..." Focus on the power in her eyes, then mimic it.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2017, 10:19:41 pm »

If she had the same thing you did, then that would explain why she was beating you. You focus into her eyes and remember the battle with the humans you had earlier today. With the memories of your dead friends, and the agonizing pain of the humans' weapons fresh in your mind, you feel the same rush of adrenaline as you did during the battle. The beautiful backdrop behind the peak of the mountain became a dull gray scale, while the woman stayed in brilliant color. You begin to move instinctually, but instead of the uncontrollable berserk your instincts had taught you earlier, these instincts moved your limbs in the perfect way to block her incoming attacks. The fight turned at that exact moment, with her unable to land any more blows on you.

She was still to nimble for you to hit, but your attacks began wearing her down, such that you expect would eventually succumb to exhaustion before you do. After forcing her nearly halfway across the plateau, she calmly says, "Stop." Her voice was so commanding, so dominant, that you feel like you had no choice but to obey. Your vision returned to normal, and you see her eyes return to the familiar once again. She speaks. "So you were not lying. This is good. Because I need your help with something." You are slightly befuddled, "You are the best warrior I have ever fought! You could destroy an army by yourself if you wanted to! Why would you need my help?" She sits down on a piece of rubble from one of the larger ruins. "Have you ever heard of the Dragon Riders?"

germanyfrance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2017, 06:28:58 pm »

"I have heard legends. I assume from your demeanor that you are one of them? If so, I must ask, Where is your dragon?

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 07:08:48 pm »

I have a feeling we will be seeing fluffles the dragon again from Ycd2.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 08:38:09 pm »

Mollification was not something you were taught as a child, and as such, you speak bluntly. "I have heard legends. I assume from your demeanor that you are one of them? If so, I must ask, Where is your dragon?" This obviously hit a sore nerve, because the woman stayed silent for a long while. Finally, she opened her mouth to speak. "That is very insightful of you. And the reason I need your help is the same reason that my dragon was not here to meet you today." You stayed silent as she collected her thoughts, then spoke again. "The last battlefield of the great war was at the Goblin Capital of Oix. Even though the Goblins were innocent, forced to do the bidding of a corrupt elf, the lands they devastated were not easily forgotten. No less than fifty years after the war, an unfortunate famine struck the human civilization, and the people blamed it on the Goblins' attacks half a century earlier. A brutal massacre followed, and their civilization crumbled. Since then, the Goblins have been persecuted to near extinction, much like what is happening to the valley you and the other Creatures used to call home. My dragon and I set out to stop the rampage of the Humans against the feeble Goblins, but during the fight, my dragon and I became separated. And by the time I got back, he was under a thousand pounds of chains and nets, unable to move. They had hundreds of men ready to strike him down at a moment's notice. I could have defeated them alone, but not without losing him... For all our lives, we had been together, and l could not live without him. Quite literally in fact. The only reason I have lived this long is because my Dragon must still live on. They dragged him away, to the abandoned Goblin Capital, where the Great war ended. They took him to Oix. The last I saw of him was him pleading me to run away, save myself. And I did. For once in my life, I felt mortal. And a great fear overwhelmed me, so I fled. Now I need you to help me get him back. I cannot bear the thought of him being in pain any longer. So, will you help me?"

germanyfrance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 08:33:20 pm »

"I will help on one condition... I want to ride him."

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2017, 09:58:33 pm »

You agree to help, on the condition that you get to ride him at some point. You expected a quick affirmation from the woman, but she does not quite give you the answer you wanted. "After two hundred years of imprisonment, I fear of what his condition might be. I am prepared to face the fact that he may not ever fly again. I cannot promise you anything. Will you still help?" You are disappointed, but still willing to help. "I will come with you either way. Anything that punishes the humans for killing by family is a worthwhile endeavor for me." The woman smiles and states. "It's about time we get going, then." And she immediately grabbed a stick from the house, and began walking down the mountain to the north.

You followed her through the familiar countryside, but soon left the plains and forests you called home for the rolling hills of the human kingdom. You were both careful to avoid attention, but unlike the woman, you were not easily able to disguise yourself as a human. As such, eventually, a farmer noticed you, and scurried into the distance. You both kept walking and hoped nothing would come of it, but your hope was unfulfilled. A small detachment of mounted soldiers intercepted you a couple yards from a rushing river. They were guarding the only bridge for miles, standing with their horses chest-to-chest to block the entirety of the bridge. They noticed you both, and started firing crossbows at your position. Your immediate thought was to protect the woman, but second thoughts said that she would be more than able to handle herself. You need to think more about your own safety. you hear an order barked, followed by a dozen clicks, and then the bolts started their trajectory towards you. In addition to their crossbows, the mounted soldiers also carried cavalry swords. The woman had picked up her hunting knife from the mountains, but you were holding no weapons, as was preferred.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2017, 11:32:27 pm »

How unfortunate. For them. Enter monktrancemode, then slap their bolts out of the air... except those we can instead grab. Then return fire by throwing the bolts back at them, preferably such that it kills them instantly via piercing the skull, also leading to them sending their second volley into their allies.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2017, 11:55:01 pm »

You laugh to yourself. These fools didn't know who they were up against. You still don't know how or why the transition occurs, but right on cue, the world fades to grey scale, and the enemies come into sharp focus. Interestingly enough, the woman, who was previously highlighted by your vision during the fight on the mountaintop, was now just as dull as the rest of your surroundings. With the time seemingly slowed down, and the crossbow bolts in sharp contrast with the background, it became incredibly easy to catch them in mid-air. One after another, your four arms catch all bolts heading your way, and toss them high up into the air to prepare for the next incoming missile. Once the source of incoming shots was expired, you spun around once, then caught the first of the arrows that you threw upwards, as they had begun to fall again. With rapid motion, you throw the arrows back at the senders, aiming for just below the lip of their helmet, where a small portion of their skull was visible. One after another, you send the missiles back the way they came, and one by one, the guards fall from their saddles, with wooden shafts protruding from their foreheads.

Only half of the crossbow bolts came close enough for you to catch, as the other half were sent towards the woman. You had no idea what she had done, but you heard a rapid succession of *clang* sounds, and almost all the remaining soldiers fall from their saddles as well. Only two soldiers remained. Out of the corner of your eye, you saw her hand reach up to catch her hunting knife out of the air. Given what you were capable of, you don't doubt that she had just done something quite spectacular. The two living soldiers were preparing to shoot again, but the sound of metal smashing into metal followed by the sound of a dozen falling bodies caused them to look around. All their comrades were dead in a matter of seconds. Reason took ahold of them, and they wheeled their horses around, and fled for the hills. You know how much of your mission depended on secrecy, these runaways must be dealt with.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017, 12:18:33 am »

Dash towards them and grab four fallen helmets. Toss the helmets like some sort of boomerang towards the front of the horses.
Each helmet will spin at frightening speeds and slice a hoof off each horse, The horse will then fall forwards. If the men are not dead from being crushed by their steed we can extract information from these men.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2017, 04:11:29 pm »

You try running after the routed soldiers, and your massive stride actually gains you some ground on them, but soon, their horses hit their stride, and they begin to distance themselves from you. You reach the bridge, which was filled with confused and frightened horses, along with all the dead bodies. You pick up one of the helmets on the ground, spin it on your finger, and run a cavalry sword along the rum, bringing it to a fine edge. You add some angular velocity to the spin before acrobatically tossing the spinning helmet towards the soldier's horses. The helmet flies straight due to it's gyroscopic spin, and it hovers slightly above the ground on a cushion of air. The helmet collides into both horses right at their knees, and cleanly severs the lower leg off of their bodies. In rapid succession, both horses fall to the ground squealing in pain, while the soldiers riding them were thrown from the saddles. One of the soldiers had broken his neck upon landing, but the other was clutching his left leg in agony, desperately trying to crawl away from your hulking figure. You grab him by the scruff, and drag him back towards the woman for some interrogating. The man struggled incessantly, but it was nothing you couldn't handle. You drop the soldier in front of the woman with a gleam on your face, expecting some adoration. Instead, the woman looks at you blankly. "No thanks, he's not my type." She didn't seem to care about him, but if you wanted, you could probably scare him into telling you whatever you wanted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4