Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pregnancies without migrants  (Read 1108 times)

Hesperid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pregnancies without migrants
« on: June 13, 2017, 04:48:16 pm »

So, the old question again. Yes, I know it's been answered -- but maybe it hasn't!

I have two "breeding pairs" in my fortress, attained through perfectly vanilla means (although I have used dfhack to see who was heterosexual and who was becoming friends with whom). These pairs are not having children despite a strict population cap of 100, and a population cap of 2.

The population cap is set to 2 to prevent migrants. Babies should still be born as long as the strict population cap permits, at least, that's what every source says, including Magmawiki.

If I increase the population cap above my current population, then the couples magically start getting pregnant, but I also get migrant waves. If the cap is below my population, no more reproduction occurs. The information that the strict population cap is the one that affects babies and migrants, and the normal population cap only migrants, is still "version accurate" for 0.43.05 according to Magmawiki, but are we really sure it isn't just some conventional wisdom from seven years ago that still gets trotted out from sheer habit?

Does anyone else have experiments?

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pregnancies without migrants
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:49:06 pm »

In v43.03, I've had a fort that was getting births but no migrants with a population cap of 60 and a strict population cap of 220. Child cap was set at 150 (and 1000%).
What's your actual population at, and how many children?

Hesperid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 06:56:24 pm »

36 people total, 4 children. One child was inside one of the migrants who came in after lifting the cap.

In v43.03, I've had a fort that was getting births but no migrants with a population cap of 60 and a strict population cap of 220

This was my experience with older versions as well. It hasn't been with this one, which is why I'm asking.

Antikythera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 09:01:48 pm »

I started a new game this week and I can confirm pregnancies occur with population cap set to 1 and strict cap set to 200. takes a few years for the first baby but i did not do anything special besides setting starting dwarves to 10 and making sure i had a decent spread of ages and gender.

i ended up with 4 hetro male 5 hetro female and 1 nonsexual female. i have two married pairs and two pairs of "lovers". in the past i have modified the raws to get less non marrying hetero in the first generation.

Hesperid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:58:48 pm »

Thanks for the counterexample. I can always use dfhack to cause pregnancies, just wish I didn't have to!

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 04:52:37 am »

Have you tried scented candles and mood music?

Hesperid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 08:09:53 pm »

I had to set up little love inns just to get them to marry each other in the first place.

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 05:16:53 am »

Did your "love inns" provide complimentary condoms?  That was a mistake.  On the bright side, this is easily remedied with a needle!  Just follow these simple instructions:

1: Use the needle to poke a small hole in the centers of the condoms.
2: ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
3: Babies!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 05:20:34 am by Colonel Sanders Lite »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 07:40:43 am »

Did your "love inns" provide complimentary condoms?  That was a mistake.  On the bright side, this is easily remedied with a needle!  Just follow these simple instructions:

1: Use the needle to poke a small hole in the centers of the condoms.
2: ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
3: Babies!
Nope. Doesn't work with dorfs. They have to marry first, as they're incapable of getting pregnant without a prior "until death do us part" ceremony (which is very brief).

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 11:17:02 am »

In dwarven society we assume that any accident is solved thanks to an unlisted cache of -Iron Shovel-