Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: A Light Among Stars [Rogue Trader]  (Read 24019 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Light Among Stars [Rogue Trader]
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2017, 09:14:02 am »

Tiruin, I forgot to say it before but the Sanctum does have a communication channel with the bridge. That kind of thing is actually necessary because some Warp-based obstacles require cooperation between navigator and void-master.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2017, 09:17:06 am »

Tiruin, I forgot to say it before but the Sanctum does have a communication channel with the bridge. That kind of thing is actually necessary because some Warp-based obstacles require cooperation between navigator and void-master.
._.
Where are all these important tiny details when you need em.

Thanks a ton Cael :3 now I don't have to worry about buying a servo skull to be my voice. \o/
<.<
Now I just look silly.
But woohoo, we passed a really nice test, and are now into a really nice cluster of systems!

Edit: Just to clarify, DBZ, is my imagery correct? It did seem like a storm enveloped the system so...it means we've arrived at a very high-risk/high-reward area ._.

I should've gotten that one Navigator power that let me act as a human auger array when we go silent running ;~;
Can I change one of my powers right now :P
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:45:34 pm by Tiruin »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2017, 09:11:52 am »

._.
Where are all these important tiny details when you need em.

Thanks a ton Cael :3 now I don't have to worry about buying a servo skull to be my voice. \o/
<.<
Now I just look silly.
But woohoo, we passed a really nice test, and are now into a really nice cluster of systems!

Edit: Just to clarify, DBZ, is my imagery correct? It did seem like a storm enveloped the system so...it means we've arrived at a very high-risk/high-reward area ._.

I should've gotten that one Navigator power that let me act as a human auger array when we go silent running ;~;
Can I change one of my powers right now :P

Silent running really isn't something you want to do all the time-it shuts off all nonessential systems and cuts your speed. If someone is actually looking for us, it doesn't hide us either. Its based on a submarine tactic used to evade passive sonar, and has basically the same effect. To put it this way its like crouching in a video game, its good to do if you know you are going into combat and want the advantage of surprise, but you really don't want to have it on when traveling between towns.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2017, 09:28:26 am »

It's actually better than what you make it sound like. Shutting off nonessential systems is more fluff since none of your components is actually unpowered, and ships find silent-runners by succeeding on an Active Augury test, which's harder than it sounds for NPC crews (most ships will be testing against 35-40). Most vessels also don't go around actively scouring space with their arrays unless they're expecting an attack, which means you can slip by unnoticed in most cases.

Of course, moving around in Silent Running all the time slows down travel time and is only advisable if you're very paranoid.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2017, 10:05:47 am »

It's actually better than what you make it sound like. Shutting off nonessential systems is more fluff since none of your components is actually unpowered, and ships find silent-runners by succeeding on an Active Augury test, which's harder than it sounds for NPC crews (most ships will be testing against 35-40). Most vessels also don't go around actively scouring space with their arrays unless they're expecting an attack, which means you can slip by unnoticed in most cases.

Of course, moving around in Silent Running all the time slows down travel time and is only advisable if you're very paranoid.

I always read it as "If an Active Augury test is attempted then it immediately reveals where you are" (since the tactic is/was used to avoid passive sensors, active sensors arn't as easily fooled). In any case that is still 40% per turn chance of getting caught, so you *will* be found if someone is looking for you.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2017, 11:13:54 am »

Yeah, it's not an instant detection upon an attempt. Active Augury is a Test, you have to succeed to actually get something from it. That's why there are Components that make it easier for ships to detect silent runners some that make it harder for silent running ships to be found out (Empyrean Mantle is essential if you want to be sneaky).

And like I said, they do have to be looking for you. Active Augury has a range of 20 VUs, so with a good pilot and a raider/destroyer you can actually leave the scanning area in a single turn (or even before the enemy has a chance to act) and avoid combat or close in and attack before you're detected.
>Yes?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2017, 11:35:19 am »

Yeah, it's not an instant detection upon an attempt. Active Augury is a Test, you have to succeed to actually get something from it. That's why there are Components that make it easier for ships to detect silent runners some that make it harder for silent running ships to be found out (Empyrean Mantle is essential if you want to be sneaky).

And like I said, they do have to be looking for you. Active Augury has a range of 20 VUs, so with a good pilot and a raider/destroyer you can actually leave the scanning area in a single turn (or even before the enemy has a chance to act) and avoid combat or close in and attack before you're detected.

But you have to escape at half speed, with an enemy who can move at full speed and is actively searching for you (and even then, if you fail a roll you are automatically spotted). Even with a decent pilot, there is a fair chance that you will be found even if the enemy isn't actively searching. Even if you are rolling 80s, you still have a 1/5 chance of getting spotted every turn just by being near the enemies. I never suggested it was useless, just that it isn't something you want to do 100% of the time.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2017, 11:44:54 am »

Hey, sanic can pull off that pretty well, testing for the default Manoeuvre at TN 92 with a free re-roll. If he goes for Adjust Speed instead, we can move at normal speed with enough DoS (Adjust Speed allows you up move at a max of double your speed minus one), and Flank Speed also boosts our speed even while silent running without revealing us on a failure.

And yeah, I also said that. You aren't going around on Silent Running all the time unless you're either very paranoid or avoiding authority. It's situational, but useful.
>Yes?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2017, 03:17:25 pm »

@DBZ: What do you think about giving protagonist roles to people, for bonus things? :O

I'm leaning away from that now because it's more complexity.

The storm happened as soon as you pierced the veil. It wasn't there before but the ship crossing through seems to have disturbed it.

Silent running really isn't something you want to do all the time-it shuts off all nonessential systems and cuts your speed. If someone is actually looking for us, it doesn't hide us either. Its based on a submarine tactic used to evade passive sonar, and has basically the same effect. To put it this way its like crouching in a video game, its good to do if you know you are going into combat and want the advantage of surprise, but you really don't want to have it on when traveling between towns.

There's no such thing as top speed in space though. O_o
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:20:09 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2017, 06:38:56 pm »

Cuts yer acceleration tho, and light speed is a bit of a cap.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2017, 10:32:05 pm »

The storm happened as soon as you pierced the veil. It wasn't there before but the ship crossing through seems to have disturbed it.
Err, since my WH40k lore isn't that developed, this is an unusual thing right? I feel like it is, because warp storms don't...just do that. Brevity due to uncertainty or wording.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2017, 12:25:17 am »

Warp storms are anything but predictable but yeah, you can bet that a storm happening in response to a ship's passage is unusual and bound to cause suspicion.
>Yes?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2017, 04:28:34 pm »

I think we are waiting on the actions/deciding what to do. If we have any consensus on where to go, we can probably decide now.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 12, 2017, 04:42:08 pm »

I have other games to push forward proactively, so much like my character I'm in for the (fast) ride. I believe Tork expressed his quite simple opinions and I have nothing else to add.
>Yes?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2017, 05:57:43 pm »

I'm unsure what other actions to do, as my role is usually just Navigating and nothing else?

Otherwise, continue astrographing?

Also Cael, it sounds more like mentioning as an aside on the games you're also pushing forward proactively (like this one too), but the attention to detail that you give each and every game you dedicate yourself to is very inspiring, and nice. :))
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19