Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: A Light Among Stars [Rogue Trader]  (Read 24023 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: A Light Among Stars [Rogue Trader]
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2017, 04:29:39 pm »

PTW not because I saw Caellath's name in the 'last post' area because of fond memories of my first Rogue Trader game [which I'm still partially confused by but enjoyed]

Also hiya Gigla! :D Nice to see you online again!
Hey, Tir. Been a while.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2017, 06:40:00 pm »

Let's break it down: clan-kin quarters works best if your ship is geared towards boarding. Otherwise, pressed-crew works fine. The Miloslav occupies less room than the standard drive and goes faster, and even the extra rolls on the Warp event table aren't a problem if you're getting there faster and consequently rolling less, specially with the Runecaster. Achievement points-wise, we get 150 Creed (Auto Temple), 100 Criminal (Cargo hold and Trophy Room), 100 Trade (Cargo hold and Trophy room), 100 Exploration (Observation dome and trophy room), having in mind it's good to have them at 100 because in most cases it means an extra +1 PF on an Endeavor. The Sunsear batteries cost the same as Mars-pattern batteries and hit harder from farther away while consuming a lot more power and taking slightly more room. The clemency-pattern is free while taking up as much Power as a standard life sustainer and 2 more Space for +1 morale and -4 crew and morale loss to depressurization. The command bridge is a great choice, free and gains +5 to command and BS as well as resisting critical hits; you don't want the Bridge exploding while you're commanding the ship. Repairing the vessel isn't too hard if we have an Explorator with FL: Xenos or if someone with the skill is providing Assistance to our mech-person, and that's having in mind most repairs should be conducted at drydocks because field repairs don't do much. The Repulsor shield consumes only marginally more power than a normal shield and makes it easier to traverse rough regions of space. And we could stuff extra food into the cargo hold's room for goods, use them up, return with goods to sell.

Miloslav is fine, Clemency is great (I really should have suggested it myself), and all the point monkeys are fine if we are using the point system (I heard you ask about it, never really got an answer).

But the armored command bridge doesn't grant any bonus to BS, since its just the armored bridge with a typo in the middle. An actual command bridge cost +1 SP, and doesn't get the armor. Emergency repairs are *very important* if we don't want our ship to get crippled by some rando's lucky crit, which is my main consideration with our historie's weakness. We are looking at -20 with that set up, and each Dos shaves a turn off the repair. The repulsor is fine if we end up needing it a lot, otherwise its just a waste of space. The sunsear have a decent range increase and slightly better crits in return for the extra power and space (fine unless we decide we want that for something else). Hiding some food in the cargo hold might not be enough to avoid having everyone starving and murdering us. Finally, while the clan-kin only gives a +5 bonus to boarding/hit and run actions (we do have a high Fel RT, so we can do either of those things pretty well), its main draw is that it subtracts 1 moral point from *all losses*. It might work best in boarding/hit and run situations, but it still works much better than the press-ganged in all other situations.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2017, 08:33:22 pm »

Yes, we're using the achievement points system. Oops, I did mistake the bridge for a houseruled thing I'm used to and you're correct. I don't see a single problem with the Combat Bridge in that case, to be honest. The Repulsor doesn't occupy more space than a normal shield, just uses 1 more Power and while I do worry about the potential damage caused by nasty encounters with environmental effects of space, it can be ditched in case that 1 Power is used for something else, because our pilot is absolutely terrific. I know about the cargo hold and food problem, but we don't have much room and that was a suggested ship. I do think some things can change beyond the suggested alternatives. In my opinion, the Clan-kin quarters also take up quite a bit of room on top of its 1 SP price tag. Sources of morale loss are also reduced by 1 to a minimum of 1, which does diminish its usefulness in cases of minor morale loss, and the pressed quarters' main disadvantage of causing a permanent -2 to morale is offset by other components' bonuses. It's workable, but not very necessary.

I also wanted to ask this first, but: do we want to leave a little wriggle room for future upgrades or should we just fill it with the brim and leave upgrading for when we can purchase GC or BC components that take up less room? Because that changes what kind of ship I suggest as well.

Oh, and the names aren't set. Those are the same I just had in my list of ships.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:13:59 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2017, 11:04:22 pm »

I meant a waste of space proverbially :P.

Pressed crew- 3 space 2 power
Clan-kin- 5 Space 2 power 1SP

So for a difference of 2 Space and 1 SP/PF, we get +2 morale and subtract one from anything that isn't scratch damage. I'd be happy if we only ever took one morale damage, but we will most likely get at least some use from it.

And I just figured we would upgrade fully then use our future upgrades on whatever new ships we get.

Anyone else have any input?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2017, 12:36:08 am »

If you want the ship fully filled before we leave then Clan-kin makes more sense. What do you think of the Frigate option? It might be less impressive it but does free up a lot of PF.

Also I ended up too busy doing far too many things and couldn't adapt the other ship models to post here. I'll do so tomorrow.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2017, 12:49:35 am »

If you want the ship fully filled before we leave then Clan-kin makes more sense. What do you think of the Frigate option? It might be less impressive it but does free up a lot of PF.

Also I ended up too busy doing far too many things and couldn't adapt the other ship models to post here. I'll do so tomorrow.

Its basically built like the bare-bones version of the Light cruiser, and would work fine if we decide to choose profit over ships.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2017, 12:14:17 pm »

Its basically built like the bare-bones version of the Light cruiser, and would work fine if we decide to choose profit over ships.
I've loved tinkering with ship loadouts in my first game ran here ._.
Um, if it's possible, I'm curious if I can join here--tried rolld20 and while my connection is horrible, it can connect! :D
Maybe as a minor character? .-.; I'd love to test my sheetmaking in the least.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2017, 01:03:33 pm »

Um, if it's possible, I'm curious if I can join here--tried rolld20 and while my connection is horrible, it can connect! :D
Eh? This isn't a roll20 game, Tir.

PBP, I imagine lots of people don't like roll20 because of timezones and whatnot.

If it's pbp I'll make a techpriest, I think.

Correct.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2017, 01:55:27 pm »

Yep, like Gilgamesh said, this is PbP. You're welcome to join. Rolz is just so other people can verify your rolls, it's not a roll20 equivalent.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2017, 02:07:47 pm »

Gigla, not Gilga.
I ain't no Sumerian king. :P

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2017, 04:47:46 pm »

Hey, there space for one more player, preferentially a small craft pilot?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2017, 06:12:13 pm »

I'll probably post more ships tonight. I worked at a different time today and had to deal with a bad headache.

@Aseaheru, the characters weren't even picked yet. I hope it's not Marn, though.

@Devastator, you got Concealment and Scrutiny from Rank 2 advances. Until you hit 7000xp you're limited to Rank 1. Since we're starting off at exactly 7000xp, we're limited to Characteristic Advances and Rank 1 material. Getting Dodge and Awareness is a good idea, just in case.

@HighEndNoob, you also got advances from Rank 2. What I told Devastator above applies to you as well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:02:59 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2017, 08:49:11 pm »

Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Final(?) Sheet (click to show/hide)

Thoughts? Item suggestions? Did I screw up somewhere?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:22:22 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2017, 09:00:56 pm »

You should probably include the prices of the advances you took for ease of checking, and it's a shame you didn't go with the psychic familiar.

And did you purchase the psychic techniques listed at Rank 1? Those aren't supposed to be bought because they're a repeat of the free techniques you gain with your special ability according to the Errata.
Quote from: Core Rulebook, page 72
Soul-Bound to the Emperor: An Astropath Transcendent is soul-bound to the Emperor during a complex ritual on Terra. An Astropath Transcendent gains +20 to his Willpower when resisting Possession, in any opposed Willpower Test against a daemon, or whenever making a Willpower Test to resist any Talent, Psychic Power, special ability, or other effect originating from a daemon. An Astropath Transcendent rolls an additional d10 when rolling on the Perils of the Warp table and may discard any one d10 for a more favourable result.
Psychic Powers: An Astropath Transcendent begins play with access to techniques from the Telepathic Discipline. Astropath Transcendent characters also begin play with the technique Astral Telepathy (see page 162) and may select two additional techniques from the Telepathic Discipline. Astropaths Transcendent begin with a Psy Rating of 2.
See Without Eyes: An Astropath Transcendent is blind yet at the same time has a strange ability to perceive without using his physical senses. An Astropath Transcendent is functionally treated as if he can see normally (including seeing colours and being limited by walls, etc.). However, Astropaths Transcendent are not affected by effects that target their vision, such as blind grenades and cameleoline. They are, however, completely incapable of seeing Untouchables (see page 156).

You have four instead of three so there's something wrong.
>Yes?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2017, 09:19:31 pm »

I was really tempted to go with the Flumph. However, familiars don't appear to be in the Core book or Into the Storm. I also figured that a potential damage-blocker would be more immediately useful.

I did indeed buy those psychic powers, whoops. That's 200 xp back in the bank (considering how few 100xp telepathy powers there are).

I believe I should have all four powers. The first one is the basic, no-xp cost ability of the discipline. The second is the special power only Astropaths have. The last two are the ones I bought (and apparently should be free). So unless I'm missing something here...?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19