Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: A Light Among Stars [Rogue Trader]  (Read 24065 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Light Among Stars [Rogue Trader]
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2017, 05:50:09 pm »

Heh heh heh. Yeah, I'll play a posh British ork face character.

For real though, that's totally fair, having a xenos in the party can be sorta a warping thing. So it's pretty understandable that it's not always appropriate.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2017, 05:51:19 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:19:43 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2017, 07:16:37 pm »

My rolls were kinda bad, but then I remembered that you're allowed to re-roll one stat (though you must accept the second roll, even if it's worse). I re-rolled the three I got previously and scored a 17, which is nice.

Spoiler: Still a WIP (click to show/hide)

I'll worry about spending xp and picking equipment when I'm more awake.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2017, 07:54:26 pm »

Did you do ten rolls then re-rolled one or nine rolls then re-rolled one?
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2017, 07:59:15 pm »

I believe I did nine rolls and then re-rolled one. Well, first I did a couple of test rolls to make sure the roller was working, but I made sure to claim my official rolls when they came up.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2017, 12:43:53 pm »

I'll be around the IRC channel for a while in case someone needs questions about the books/mechanics answered.
>Yes?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2017, 06:28:12 pm »

DivideByZero:

There's a GM-optional rule that Common+ items are just available to the players.
It makes sense; they're powerful people with a lot of resources at their command, so they should be able to get hold of a lasgun pretty easily.

Is that rule applicable here? I'm making a medicae explorator so it'd be nice to start with a medkit.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2017, 07:58:50 pm »

DivideByZero:

There's a GM-optional rule that Common+ items are just available to the players.
It makes sense; they're powerful people with a lot of resources at their command, so they should be able to get hold of a lasgun pretty easily.

Is that rule applicable here? I'm making a medicae explorator so it'd be nice to start with a medkit.

Go for it.
I think I discussed it last night with Egan_BW. Funnily enough, he also asked for a medikit. ;)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2017, 01:58:54 am »

GM rolled for the ship's Complications: A Nose for Trouble and Xenophilous.

Also finished my background barring small updates and slight improvements. Appearance to come tomorrow.
>Yes?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2017, 02:03:09 am »

PTW not because I saw Caellath's name in the 'last post' area because of fond memories of my first Rogue Trader game [which I'm still partially confused by but enjoyed]

Also hiya Gigla! :D Nice to see you online again!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2017, 03:20:32 am »

Alright, we talked in the IRC about the ship for a bit. Here is what we were thinking for the ship, please input:

Dauntless light-Cruiser
Speed 7
Maneuverability +15
Detection +30
Armor +18
Space 60 (0/60 used)
Hull Integrity 60
Turret Rating 1
SP 55
Prow 1, Port 1, Starboard 1
Power: 5/X

Mark 20I.B Auger Array (+5 detection)

Now for some more ideas (Haven't run them by anyone yet, so really need input here :P)
We need guns. Mars patter broadsides would probably work (3 more space than just the macrocannons for 3 more Strength). (4P 5S 1SP)*2
That would leave the prow weapon, which we can fit torpedo torpedo tube (not great for middle of nowhere exploration), a lance (not great in general unless house rules are applied), or another macrocannon. If we want to splurge on a gun here is the place to do it, since it can shoot to either side. I'll put a Mars patter macrocannon here as a placeholder. (4P 2P 1SP)

For the Plasma Drive, we'll probably be able to stick with the Core's for light cruisers unless we decide to go super overbored (+60P, 12S)
For now I'll probably just put down all the standard stuff. If anyone has strong feelings about the essential components, say something
Strelov 2 Warp Engine (12P 12S)
Geller Field (1P)
Single Void Shield (5P 1S)
Vitae Life support (5P 3S)

We might want to consider the combat bridge-its cheap and offsets some of the penalty of Xenophilous. (2S 2P)

Clan-kin quarters would be a good way to keep morale up, since we are going into uncharted space and might not be able to refill it often but it would cost SP (2P 5S 1SP)

We also get one Xenotech component thanks to our history. Currently, the runecaster has been suggested (1P 2SP)

And that would be all we need for Vital components! Supplemental components are all cool, but they eat into our profit factor. Since we are going into uncharted space, we might want to consider:
Extended supply vaults (Double time you can go without supplies, helps with repairs and +1 morale(1P, 4S 2SP)
Arboretum (Double time you can go without supplies, +2 crew population) (2P 3S 1SP)
Manufactorum (+10 repair, 10 achievement points to trade, can make some simple objects) (2P 1S 2SP)

Keep in mind that 1SP=1PF.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2017, 04:52:48 am »

DivideByZero:

Go for it.
I think I discussed it last night with Egan_BW. Funnily enough, he also asked for a medikit. ;)
Excellent!

That does also mean everyone should probably take some frag grenades for the utility as well.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2017, 07:29:39 am »

That's probably a good idea. I might invest in learning telekinesis so I can throw those grenades without using my piddly Strength.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2017, 12:04:59 pm »

I forgot to say it because I was nearly asleep, but when I suggested the Dauntless I already had a model ready for appreciation. Here:

Let's break it down: clan-kin quarters works best if your ship is geared towards boarding. Otherwise, pressed-crew works fine. The Miloslav occupies less room than the standard drive and goes faster, and even the extra rolls on the Warp event table aren't a problem if you're getting there faster and consequently rolling less, specially with the Runecaster. Achievement points-wise, we get 150 Creed (Auto Temple), 100 Criminal (Cargo hold and Trophy Room), 100 Trade (Cargo hold and Trophy room), 100 Exploration (Observation dome and trophy room), having in mind it's good to have them at 100 because in most cases it means an extra +1 PF on an Endeavor. The Sunsear batteries cost the same as Mars-pattern batteries and hit harder from farther away while consuming a lot more power and taking slightly more room. The clemency-pattern is free while taking up as much Power as a standard life sustainer and 2 more Space for +1 morale and -4 crew and morale loss to depressurization. The command bridge is a great choice, free and gains +5 to command and BS as well as resisting critical hits; you don't want the Bridge exploding while you're commanding the ship. Repairing the vessel isn't too hard if we have an Explorator with FL: Xenos or if someone with the skill is providing Assistance to our mech-person, and that's having in mind most repairs should be conducted at drydocks because field repairs don't do much. The Repulsor shield consumes only marginally more power than a normal shield and makes it easier to traverse rough regions of space. And we could stuff extra food into the cargo hold's room for goods, use them up, return with goods to sell.

Alternatives: boost drive to Warcruiser (+4 Power, takes 2 more Space, costs 2 SP), downgrade Clemency to Vitae pattern (loses bonuses, frees up 2 Space), downgrade sunsear batteries (or just the broadsides) to Mars for slightly more room and more Power.

Edit: I have several other options and I'll post them later. Lunch time at the moment.

Before leaving for lunch, here's another one:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:37:13 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2017, 01:18:07 pm »

Right, I've taken care of college stuff so I intend to maybe finish up my archmilitant today.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19