Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: A Light Among Stars [Rogue Trader]  (Read 23966 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
A Light Among Stars [Rogue Trader]
« on: June 12, 2017, 02:59:36 pm »

IC Thread

It is not often that the starcharts of the galaxy are updated. For just as sound, no matter how great the magnitude, can scarcely be heard below the range of hearing, such is the heartbeat of the universe. However, it is expected that new stars will appear time to time, and this is a fact that the astrographs have prepared for in their endeavors to capture and record the state of the galaxy.

But no star appears on its own. Stars are born out of swirling nebulae, forged in a grand cataclysm among the star-forming regions. What perplexed the astrographical Adepts of the Imperium of Man was the appearance of a new star, far off near a globular cluster, without any such trappings. And indeed, as the astrographs of the Imperium took notice of this strange event, the collated a vast amount of data to conclude that something is amiss in the warp surrounding the new star. A great veil which no signal can enter, yet a few messages still prevail albeit warped and disturbed.

If there is anything to be gained from such a bizarre appearance, the time would be sooner rather than later.

Description

Rogue Trader is a Warhammer 40k RPG system. The players take on the role of the Rogue Trader and his/her crew, a collection of devoted followers, fanatics, psykers, mutants, and whatnot, following grand journeys with the expectation of profits, glory, or fame.

For this game we'll be using the core rulebook, though if you want to use a supplement you may speak up. I would prefer to keep it sweet and simple.
EDIT: Into the Storm is also available.

Characters

We'll be starting at Rank 2 (7000 XP total) using either point-buy or roll-and-assign for characteristics, whichever you personally choose. You get one free pick on your origin path. You can then choose to branch off from your new patch or move two across from your original starting point.

You start at 4500 XP, have 500 extra XP to spend on the origin path, and then spend 2000 additional points (not on the origin path) to make advancements and such.

There is no need for a Navigator but we do need a Rogue Trader who is active and committed to keep things moving. The Rogue Trader will choose the starting profit factor and ship points.

I'll accept anywhere from 4-8 players. Full speed ahead with 11 players. I think this is it.

Dice Room #1: https://rolz.org/dr?room=LightAmongStars
You can use the above link to post verifiable dice rolls.
IRC: #LoS @ irc.dakmyst.org
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:35:05 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Light Among Stars [Rogue Trader]
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 03:00:44 pm »

Character Sheets:
Aseaharu the Battlefleet Voidmaster
Caellath the Frontier Voidmaster
Devastator the Imperial Seneschal
Gigalamesh Despair the Deathworld Explorator
HighEndNoob the Imperial Missionary
Sirus the Voidborn Astropath Transcendant
Stirk the Nobel Born Rouge Trader
Tiruin the Battlefleet Navigator
WunderKatze the Deathworld Archmilitant

The Ship: Indecent Proposal (Havoc-class Raider)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 01:34:12 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 03:02:09 pm »

Will this be Play-By-Post or done live using Roll20 or whatever?

If this is PBP, I'm in. Got an Astropath that never really achieved his full potential in an older game that ended sooner than expected.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:08:00 pm »

If it's pbp I'll make a techpriest, I think.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 03:15:01 pm »

May or may not make a character -- it's finals week so my schedule is about to go sideways

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 03:20:07 pm »

I'd advise including at least Into the Storm amidst the basic books as it is more or less a Core Rulebook+ thanks to the extra starting options and additional bits to the basics of the Core. Also, if we choose to roll I assume you'll roll and give us the numbers or we'll have to use one of those online rollers that keep track of rolls, correct?

I'll apply either with my giant Missionary or something else (maybe a Void-Master) depending on how the applications pan out. Not interested in the RT role unless no one else wants it. Someone should pick it up, it can be hard work but you have a blast.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 03:29:40 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 03:29:21 pm »

i want to play it becuse it sounds really internesting,but i am not familiar with the system
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 04:15:26 pm »

@PaPaj: People like me are usually willing to help with character generation as long as you're also willing to spend some time reading the books to get acquainted with the rules.

There's also the matter that even with PB we'll need to roll for Wounds and Fate, and possibly for other cases when chargen requires it, such as insanity/corruption or heirloom items in a table.

That said, what are people planning on applying as? We have Sirus as an Astropath I'm familiar with (you could ask Divide to use your starting acquisition on your faithful Flumph as your psychic familiar) and Giglamesh as a possible Explorator (going down the Biologis path, I assume).
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 04:27:39 pm »

Hey Cael, I'm not familiar with Rogue Trader like I am now with Only War so could you run down the classes for me? Just a basic description? I should be able to google-fu the more complex info later

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 04:43:31 pm »

and Giglamesh as a possible Explorator (going down the Biologis path, I assume).
Heh. You know me too well.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 04:50:03 pm »

That said, what are people planning on applying as? We have Sirus as an Astropath I'm familiar with (you could ask Divide to use your starting acquisition on your faithful Flumph as your psychic familiar) and Giglamesh as a possible Explorator (going down the Biologis path, I assume).
Heh. Tempting. I'm not entirely sure I saved the stat block on that fella but I'll check my storage.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 04:57:12 pm »

Hey Cael, I'm not familiar with Rogue Trader like I am now with Only War so could you run down the classes for me? Just a basic description? I should be able to google-fu the more complex info later

-Rogue Trader is the owner of the ship, or at least one of the owners if they're not the Dynasty's only scion. They're a face character and can be made into good duelists, leaning towards melee combat. They have an ability that allows them to give a +10 bonus to an ally per turn.
-Arch-militant is a consummate warrior or veteran soldier. They're a combat character with minor command abilities. They lean towards ranged combat but their special ability allows them to pick a type of weapon (Melee, Basic, Heavy) and get an eternal bonus to it.
-Astropath Trascendent is a blind psyker, generally with a focus on Telepathy in order to send and receive messages across the cosmos. They are able to see everything around them without normal problems imposed by vision, such as obstructions by smoke and visual tricks.
-Explorator is the highest-ranking Mechanicus emissary aboard the ship. They're usually stranger and/or open-minded than the average tech-priest. Techy and knowledge character, starts with implants and cybernetics as their ability.
-Missionary is your priest in space. Melee combatant and fanatic preacher, they're a good backup face character as well as possibly devastating combatant. Starts with Pure Faith, that gives them a few advantages.
-Navigator is the character that steers the ship through the Warp and can use powerful warp-based powers with their Third Eye. Though they aren't psykers, they start mutated and tend to get worse. Their special ability is their Third Eye.
-Seneschal is a face/spymaster character. They're good at diplomacy, knowledge and being smarmy asses. They're your high-grade vizier/accountant character. Their special ability
-Void-master is a flexible class that usually does good at combat. They lean towards ranged combat and need high Agility because they'll usually be piloting a shuttle or voidship. They can pick one of three abilities, allowing them re-rolls to shooting a big ship's guns, to maneuvering a big ship, or to maneuvering a small craft (shuttles or atmospheric flyers).

@Sirus: I remember at least that it started with the characteristic that gave it Psy Rating 2.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:59:08 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 04:57:36 pm »

Yay! The last one was fun, but it died quickly :-/. I'd love to play as the RT if its still open!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 04:58:36 pm »

Gosh, Cael was right. Lots of demand~

Will this be Play-By-Post or done live using Roll20 or whatever?

If this is PBP, I'm in. Got an Astropath that never really achieved his full potential in an older game that ended sooner than expected.

PBP, I imagine lots of people don't like roll20 because of timezones and whatnot.

If it's pbp I'll make a techpriest, I think.

Correct.

May or may not make a character -- it's finals week so my schedule is about to go sideways

I don't think we'll start for a few days.

I'd advise including at least Into the Storm amidst the basic books as it is more or less a Core Rulebook+ thanks to the extra starting options and additional bits to the basics of the Core. Also, if we choose to roll I assume you'll roll and give us the numbers or we'll have to use one of those online rollers that keep track of rolls, correct?

I'll apply either with my giant Missionary or something else (maybe a Void-Master) depending on how the applications pan out. Not interested in the RT role unless no one else wants it. Someone should pick it up, it can be hard work but you have a blast.

Roger that, extra starting options sound good. Too bad InvisibleCastle went down, because it would have been perfect.

Perhaps this will work:
https://rolz.org/dr?room=LightAmongStars

Just type /nick ![username]   without the brackets and and then do 10x #2d10 rolls.

i want to play it becuse it sounds really internesting,but i am not familiar with the system

You don't need to be familiar. I think that after character creation you don't need to be too familiar with the mechanics to play. Cael is here to help people make characters. ;)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 05:00:40 pm »

If you're concerned about validity of rolls, restrict it to point buy. Nice and balanced for everyone that way, too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19