Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: A Light Among Stars [Rogue Trader]  (Read 23967 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: A Light Among Stars [Rogue Trader]
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 05:01:43 pm »

That's a surprisingly limited selection compared to OW. If I join I might want to go archmilitant.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 05:02:48 pm »

PBP, yesssssss

Nuthin wrong with point buy, unless you consider having each character at roughly the same power level a bad thing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 05:04:53 pm »

That's a surprisingly limited selection compared to OW. If I join I might want to go archmilitant.

We are using only core. The other books add some new classes, like Ork, Kroot, Tau, Dark Eldar, etc.

I'll probably use point buy too. Random rolls annoy everyone if you roll to low/high, and its more fun to build your character yourself.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 05:06:04 pm »

If you're concerned about validity of rolls, restrict it to point buy. Nice and balanced for everyone that way, too.

Rolz has a chatroom where it tracks all your rolls, so I'm not too concerned with the validity of rolls.
I imagine it's easier for new players to roll-and-forget which is why I wanted to leave the option open.

We are using only core. The other books add some new classes, like Ork, Kroot, Tau, Dark Eldar, etc.

I'll probably use point buy too. Random rolls annoy everyone if you roll to low/high, and its more fun to build your character yourself.

You can also use Into the Storm.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 05:06:57 pm »

Well, I wouldn't have played a xenoooo class anyway. More referring to the wider amount of roles in OW, like medics and sanctioned Psykers (surprised that RT doesn't have them)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 05:10:51 pm »

Well, I wouldn't have played a xenoooo class anyway. More referring to the wider amount of roles in OW, like medics and sanctioned Psykers (surprised that RT doesn't have them)

The Astropath are the sanctioned psykers. There are a couple of more roles in what are basically alternative ranks, but there are none of those in core.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 05:12:21 pm »

Stirk is correct, the Astropath is a Sanctioned Psyker. They're nominally focused on Astrotelepathy but they still get access to other disciplines and can get every bit as powerful (or more so) than their OW counterparts.

And the splats have Alternative Career Ranks that spice up things. Ask Divide if you feel like you could enjoy one of them. I haven't seen any of them being broken in any way.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 05:15:08 pm »

Well, I'm certainly interested. I'm not too familiar with the rules, but I have been looking through the rule-book. Thinking of playing a Seneschal or Missionary.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 05:15:21 pm »

Well, that's noted, but I am speaking primarily out of curiosity since I want to see how archmilitant shakes out, though I won't start the char creation process immediately because finals.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 06:04:37 pm »

Some rogue trading? I'm in. Anyone know how to make a moderately efficient shooter/CQ hybrid char?

Affix bayonets! I guess they say fix bayonets don't they.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 06:06:01 pm »

The careers can usually fit a number of backgrounds depending on how you stat and fluff them. The arch-militant can be a feral world warrior turned bodyguard, a Guard veteran looking for some thrones, a retired PDF Colonel who wants to make a name for themselves, a scum desperado and so on.

@Wunder: If you want to focus on combat, either the Arch-militant or Void-master can provide a good melee/range hybrid base.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 06:07:56 pm »

I think I'd like to join, but I'd need assistance with character creation, as I don't actually have any of the relevant rules.  Is that okay?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 07:21:05 pm »

Talked to Devastator via IRC. Talking of which, we now have an IRC channel over the DarkMyst server: #LoS

I'll be there for a while and I can help with chargen if necessary.
>Yes?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 07:42:40 pm »

How strictly are you following the Origin Path rules? Can we follow any path to any Career, or do we have to stick to the Path as described in the rulebook?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 07:47:27 pm »

How strictly are you following the Origin Path rules? Can we follow any path to any Career, or do we have to stick to the Path as described in the rulebook?

IRC says you get one free pick using the origin path rules.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19