Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vertical Bars Question  (Read 2574 times)

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vertical Bars Question
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:02:50 am »

Here's something I would really like to know for my next fort:

Can creatures dodge/climb/jump trough vertical bars?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Vertical Bars Question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 11:09:41 am »

Without certainty, I would suspect creatures can dodge through them in the same manner they dodge through fortifications sometimes, but that they cannot move through them as part of normal pathing.

Compare the wiki entries for bars, grates, and fortifications. There are some differences like being able to be linked to a lever, being a construction verse being a building, and such. But they are all basically obstructions to normal movement.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 11:41:29 am »

They shouldn't be able to intentionally jump or climb through bars (but the can probably pass over them if there's nothing to block access there).
I don't know if they can be swum through like fortifications if fully submerged, but probably not.
As bars are constructions, they out to be vulnerable to building destroyers.
Tunneling through bars should work the same as tunneling through walls.

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:58:03 am »

Well, I'm 90% certain that vertical bars can't be swum trough, though I have read in the past that a creature can be pushed through partially submerged bars by a current.  I have never had that happen, but it's supposed to be possible anyways.

I suspected that accidental dodge warping was probable.

I definitely knew that they can be destroyed.  I wish that they where much more durable than they are.  I experimented with using them as a portcullis in my last fort and they where just too fragile to be practical.

How sure are you guys that units can't jump/climb through them though.

In a nutshell, I'm considering adding a row of vertical bars as an added layer of security between the fortifications and the moat.  The idea being that they won't obstruct my crossbow dwarves, will prevent units from jumping through, and can't be reached by trolls.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 05:11:49 am »

Dorfs can dodge right through single-thickness stone walls, so yeah, they can dodge through vertical bars. No one can climb through them if they are in air or full-depth water, but if the water is not fully submerging the obstruction, there's a sort of "bug" that can get things through the bars. If you want your bars underwater, make sure they're fully under water!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 06:20:51 am »

Dorfs can dodge right through single-thickness stone walls, so yeah, they can dodge through vertical bars.

No they can't. Dwarves *can* "tumble" through at least two wall tiles following a charge attack, but *not* by dodging.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:51:48 am »

For the fragility issue, you might take advantage of the fact that the same surface the vertical bars rest on must be reachable, and build a minimal firing spot like this:
▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼‼‼‼‼‼▼
▼‼╬╬╬‼▼
▼‼╬<╬‼▼
▼‼╬╬╬‼▼
▼‼‼‼‼‼▼
▼▼▼▼▼▼▼

Based on the same principle that door with ramps on both sides is undestroyable. (Given you likely have a reason for not building them a z up.)

Regarding jumping, there's this reddit post reporting success in preventing it by replacing fortifications with bars.