Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you be interested in a modded, narrative Succession Fort?

Yes
- 7 (77.8%)
No
- 2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interest in a modded, narrative Succession Fort?  (Read 1834 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Interest in a modded, narrative Succession Fort?
« on: June 11, 2017, 12:59:44 pm »

Like the thread title says, I'm wondering how many of you here would be interested in a succession fort utilizing mods, with a story element to it.

I was mostly thinking of utilizing mods that are mostly based off of medieval-esque fantasy (steampunk elements as well) and mythology, so the end result wouldn't be too outlandish or bizarre - however still just as insane as some of the things that happen in vanilla, only more difficult and also more varied.

I'd also make some changes to vanilla raws, i.e removing the overt positive moodlets gained from alcohol (so hopefully epic tantrum spirals would happen again).

Please share your thoughts and opinions on the idea - along with any suggestions. I'd really love to see a highly memorable fortress come out of 43.05 (hopefully something that'd end up on TV Tropes), as well as giving people's creativity and imagination a lot of time to shine - and perhaps getting more people into RAW editing.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in a modded, narrative Succession Fort?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:26:58 pm »

I'm in, at least to hear the ideas, I could probably sneak a year in here and there to between my summer plans..  removing the mood benefits gained from alcohol is fairly easy... the question is how do you want to do it, I've seen a few ways from modifying alcohol to produce more realistic effects to just making the units not alcohol dependent.

Anyways is there anything you want help with making for this or anything you need me to hunt down... Half of DFFD is on my hard drive, lol.

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 03:23:13 am »

I figured maybe making the dwarves more violent and anger-prone by default would help with tantrum spirals.
As for mods I was mostly thinking of stuff that'd add more possible creatures to certain biomes and their savage/evil/good variations that currently are somewhat empty (glaciers, deserts, etc.).

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:52:22 am »

I never modded but tried many times and gave up really fast. If this is a way for me to learn modding then I'm in.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 03:23:06 pm »

I never modded but tried many times and gave up really fast. If this is a way for me to learn modding then I'm in.
Sure, I'd be happy to teach people modding to the best of my ability!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 03:48:55 am »

Sure, I'd be happy to teach people modding to the best of my ability!
Awesome, I think we could get more people interested if we moved this to the community games & stories section.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 03:23:41 pm »

Yeah, in retrospect I probably should have made it in the community games section - any way to move it or do I have to request for an admin do it?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 05:07:46 pm »

There should be a button in the bottom

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 03:57:41 pm »

Glad to see the modding community somewhat responding. You just have to start the fort and shitpost, people will come in eventually.  :D
That said, i'm in. I have to say... I'd be partial to a world where power is gained by using bodyparts of powerful creatures as crafting materials. That said, i'm in whatever comes.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 10:59:56 pm »

'snow dwarfs' have to be in this world as well. Dwarfs made of ice that live in the glaciers.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 04:43:24 am »

I could paint a world for the occasion, so we can make sure we have a location we like and has all the right features. I have some experience in that regard.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 05:29:01 am »

I'm in. But only if there's steampunk stuff that's dwarf exclusive.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 05:44:13 am »

How about magic engines powered by gems? Steampunk enough for you?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 06:23:17 am »

I'm in. But only if there's steampunk stuff that's dwarf exclusive.
Tbf if I was to use my modpack gnomes and goblins (not the vanilla ones) would have some steampunky stuff as well, with some other races using early firearms like muskets and flintlocks and yet others having primitive gun-like contraptions that shoot balls of scrap metal - hope that'd be okay.

I could paint a world for the occasion, so we can make sure we have a location we like and has all the right features. I have some experience in that regard.
That would be awesome!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 03:44:33 pm »

Well... Can darves use steampunk technology?
(I wasn't really thinking when I said the dwarf exclsive thing, I just think that special steam powered machinery would give us even more creative ways to kill ourselves)
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: [1] 2