Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: All dwarf socialize, and none cutting wood  (Read 2640 times)

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All dwarf socialize, and none cutting wood
« on: June 08, 2017, 01:53:33 pm »

I have 72 trees designated to be cut, I have 3 dwarf with wood cutting, I have a few battle axe and greataxes, but my dwarves are in the tavern, socializing. All my productions are stopped because I need wood. I rely heavily on it, since I'm in a heavy forest biome and designed it with it in mind. Any idea of what could cause that? And how to solve it?

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All dwarf socialize, and none cutting wood
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 02:40:02 pm »

If their job listed in purple Socialize! than you just have to wait or assign other unoccupied dwarfs to woodcutting. Purple job means that their need to socialize is unsatisfied (may happen if you just built you tavern and before that dwarfs weren't talking much to each other, or maybe they were on their tree cutting duty for too long and sometimes they just want to talk). If it's green Socialize than waiting is still a viable option (they can get back to their job after a while), but I would also check alerts/barrows/do they have access to the surface etc. You can also change priority to higher when designating trees to cut, in my experience this sometimes speeds up the process, but i'm not sure if it's vanilla feature or added with DFHack.

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 03:57:16 pm »

It's written in green. I put one of the trees in Priority 7 to see (I also tried to put it on priority one but didn't work). They have access to the surface, it's an above ground fort, and the bridges are down. The tavern is above ground too. There are 3 way out, and nobody's leaving. The tree cutting was going fine until this afternoon, when I got attacked by undeads and lost 75% of my peoples. Since I was expecting to have some jobs missing, I turned autolabor on for a second, then I got back to manual.

I kept playing, i even got a new migrant wave, but nobody's cutting trees. I'm starting to lose hope.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 04:39:41 pm »

This might be a silly questions but do you have wood cutting turned on for some dwarves? All your woodcutters might have been killed in that undead siege.
Also check they are not restricted to any burrow.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 04:47:07 pm »

...The tree cutting was going fine until this afternoon, when I got attacked by undeads and lost 75% of my peoples.
If you assigned these guys to a military squad and gave them a Move or Kill order, that is the problem. It is a conflict between military and civilian labor uniforms. To fix it, remove them from the squad, unpause a moment, then disable and re-enable their woodcutting skill again. You can put woodcutter. miners, and hunters in a squad but as soon as they are given a squad order or given a barracks to 't'rain at, they stop being willing to mine, woodcut, or hunt.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 04:56:18 pm »

Do your woodcutters have axes in their inventory?

If:

a) your previous woodcutters were killed or deactivated (freeing their axes)
b) you drafted some dwarves (who claimed the free axes as weapons)
c) you appointed some new woodcutters (who can't find a free axe)

then your axe-less woodcutters won't be able to actually perform any woodcutting jobs. In that case you'd need to produce more axes or wrest the existing ones away from your military. Note that wooden training axes no longer work for tree cutting.

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 05:46:29 pm »

This might be a silly questions but do you have wood cutting turned on for some dwarves? All your woodcutters might have been killed in that undead siege.
Also check they are not restricted to any burrow.

Yes, some have wood cutter turned on. There are no burrow either.

...The tree cutting was going fine until this afternoon, when I got attacked by undeads and lost 75% of my peoples.
If you assigned these guys to a military squad and gave them a Move or Kill order, that is the problem. It is a conflict between military and civilian labor uniforms. To fix it, remove them from the squad, unpause a moment, then disable and re-enable their woodcutting skill again. You can put woodcutter. miners, and hunters in a squad but as soon as they are given a squad order or given a barracks to 't'rain at, they stop being willing to mine, woodcut, or hunt.

I just tried it, it didn't work.

Do your woodcutters have axes in their inventory?

If:

a) your previous woodcutters were killed or deactivated (freeing their axes)
b) you drafted some dwarves (who claimed the free axes as weapons)
c) you appointed some new woodcutters (who can't find a free axe)

then your axe-less woodcutters won't be able to actually perform any woodcutting jobs. In that case you'd need to produce more axes or wrest the existing ones away from your military. Note that wooden training axes no longer work for tree cutting.

I tried the mentioned above, disbanded all squad, removed all woodcutting jobs, then put thm back on. I also checked if there were axes, and I can find 2.

But I just bought three axes from the merchants in my village, it seems that it was the problem. I can't believe it, for some reason there are two axes in the village, yet nobody could find get their hands on them. Well, sorry I bothered everyone with that, and thank you. That also mean that the migrant wave I had earlier didn't bring a single axe on 16 migrants.

While i'm at it, if anyone knows a way to stop the trees to "cave-in" every time I cut them, I'd be glad. I just lost 3 more people in that tree-cutting session.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:53:52 pm by Elgate »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 02:29:05 am »

Cutting trees should not cause cave-ins. Cutting trees above ground level may cause injury to the wood cutter through falling, and logs can get stuck up in branches of trees of they are close to each other. I think falling logs (when the tree the logs are stuck in is cut down) can smash through a roof (don't dig out the first soil level unless you have to).

Caving in ground with trees on it will cause repeated cave-ins, as the trees that fell originally aren't removed properly, so each time they "grow" they respawn and find they're standing on thin air, and fall.

I suspect your problem with the wood cutters was that when you assigned your military squad the axes you had were assigned as equipment for the military squad positions, and removing the dorfs from the military does not remove the equipment assigned to the positions the dorfs filled. Removing the squads or changing the equipment assigned to military squad positions can free up the axes (if you allowed them to select their weapons, they did, but the ones selected then remain selected until better ones are available).

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 05:14:16 am »

It definitely sounds like those axes were being used as weapons instead of woodcutting tools.

The cave-in due to tree-cutting sounds to me like cutting the trunks halfway up the tree, instead of at ground level, or digging the ground under the tree, which also makes a cave-in. Try to leave a full layer of dirt under the tree growing area, don't dig your fort directly under the trees, and always designate tree cutting at ground level.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 05:38:31 am »

Fastest way is to remove weapons from squad equip and then put 'em back after the chopping is done.

I try to leave a copper battle axe and a mining pick lying around.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 05:56:52 am »

Fastest way is to remove weapons from squad equip and then put 'em back after the chopping is done.

I try to leave a copper battle axe and a mining pick lying around.

Isn't it better to just assign the fighters weapons that aren't essential tools? Spears are good.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Artlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 08:54:28 am »

In the orders screen (o) pressing (w) disables chopping wood. It is easily turned off by accident when going into workshop orders because that is (W).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 07:21:41 pm »

In the orders screen (o) pressing (w) disables chopping wood. It is easily turned off by accident when going into workshop orders because that is (W).
That is completely and totally FALSE - that order is only for hauling wood logs, not for cutting down trees.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 05:14:29 pm »

Woodchopping is a big bugged. Chances are its a) autochop has bugged out, if you have autochop you should disable it as standard course. b) your axes are all in use. Buy or make some more. c) the bug that stops dwarves chopping even when a and b are non-issues. Normally you can fix it by undesignating all trees, wait a few ticks for the jobs to lapse, and redesignating.

Honestly just meddle till you have a solution, its a bit non-optimal atm.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 03:40:44 am »

I see your problem.

If the priority for chopping trees is 7, it will take them a long-ass time to get to it.

Set it to priority 1, and watch them hop to it.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!
Pages: [1] 2