Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Carpenter is lazy and doesn't want to work  (Read 2409 times)

Laraso

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Carpenter is lazy and doesn't want to work
« on: June 04, 2017, 04:54:43 pm »

I just started a new fort, and I've immediately run across a big problem that's halting all progress. My carpenter REFUSES to stop socializing and actually go down to the carpenters workshop and make things for the fort.

I've checked, double checked, and triple checked, his labor for carpentry is turned on. I even tried giving the labor to other dwarves, and they refuse to do anything but socialize as well.

What should I do?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Carpenter is lazy and doesn't want to work
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 05:29:40 pm »

Did you accidentally forbid the workshop or any material involved in its creation?
Did you link the workshop to a stockpile that doesn't have wood?
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Laraso

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:39:02 pm »

No, no, and no. I even destroyed the workshop and built a new one, didn't change anything.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 06:27:42 pm »

If you have not turned off "Announce all job cancellations", are there any job cancellations?

If you have turned off "Announce all job cancellations", when you are in the workshop menu, highlighting the job, and you use 'd'etail on the job, do you see logs of any type available for the job?

When you are in the workshop menu, highlighting the job, have you tried hitting 'n' to tell them to drop their current job and do this one?

Is the workshop in a burrow that has workshop restrictions on? If you do, do not delete the burrow as a solution, remove the citizens before deleting it.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:02:40 pm »

Where are they all socializing?  If it's a Tavern, that's a known issue (unmet needs can bring your Fortress to a complete stop).  The solution there is remove the Tavern.  If they are socializing in a Dining Hall, then you likely have a different problem.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 09:02:41 pm »

If it is an unmet need (the activity is listed as such: socialize! instead of: socialize ) it is an unmet need that he is currently looking after.
After a short while he will resume his normal jobs, so either remove the tavern/temple/whatever or wait it out.

/\
EDIT: just had a better look at the picture and the activity is listed as green so nevermind what I said up there |  maybe his path is blocked or he is stuck in a burrow that does not include the workshop?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:05:08 pm by bluephoenix »

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 01:02:05 am »

Lots of them in the tavern. They might be dancing so check that out. If so it will take a bit of time but will get back to normal soon.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 04:29:36 am »

My guess is a civilian alert burrow that causes them not to be allowed to work in the workshops or fetch the materials to use. Another alternative is that there is no path between the tavern and the carpenter's workshop (if you managed to get the carpenter to tear down the workshop and rebuild it there obviously was a path).
A third alternative is that you've blocked the access to the surface, so the carpenter can't get the log required.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 09:05:50 am »

I've experienced a bug with sticky burrows before.  Delete all your burrows.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 03:22:10 pm »

I've experienced a bug with sticky burrows before.  Delete all your burrows.
The bugs section in the wiki for burrow says "Dwarves may remain restricted to a deleted burrow.". I suspect that removing the dwarf from the burrow before deleting it is safer.
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Laraso

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 07:07:21 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I haven't made any burrows at all. I've tried linking and unlinking stockpiles, removing and recreating stockpiles, unassigning + reassigning labors, deconstructing and rebuilding the workshop, removing my tavern... just about everything.

Nothing is working still.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 08:01:47 pm »

One of these guys will stop Socializing to build a new carpenter's workshop but, after you add a job to it, will not stop Socializing to start work on the job?

That bit doesn't make sense to me, and I don't have a guess why it would happen unless there was an issue with missing job materials. Only Carpentry skill can build the workshop and only Carpentry skill can work at jobs there.

Laraso

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 08:44:29 pm »

Yep. They will happily build a carpenters workshop, but refuse to actually work in one. I have a full wood stockpile sitting directly adjacent to the carpenters workshop, so it shouldn't be the case that he can't find wood...  Really have no idea what to do here, I guess I might have to just start a new fort

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 08:55:42 pm »

Yep. They will happily build a carpenters workshop, but refuse to actually work in one. I have a full wood stockpile sitting directly adjacent to the carpenters workshop, so it shouldn't be the case that he can't find wood...  Really have no idea what to do here, I guess I might have to just start a new fort
You might have to, I'm guessing your previous forts worked fine? Maybe you have a corrupt version of the game, perhaps you should try redownloading the game.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 09:21:09 pm »

Is the workshop in the open, or wedged in a 3x3 corner or adjacent to another construction? A carpenter's workshop has three "solid" tiles that might allow them to build it, but not move into it. Long shot.

Another thing to try, get a room with a door and a few logs, lock him in when he starts to build the workshop and see if he will try a job then.
Pages: [1] 2