Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to remove sapplings  (Read 4577 times)

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to remove sapplings
« on: June 03, 2017, 10:38:54 am »

The only way i learned is if there is heavy traffic. But I need to remove sapplings from interiors, they keep growing and messing with my buildings.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove sapplings
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:48:28 am »

Any reason you haven't placed floors?  Roads work as well.
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 11:08:03 am »

You can place floor on the ground? I thought you had to dig it first.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 11:43:26 am »

You can place floor on the ground? I thought you had to dig it first.
You can put a "constructed floor" on top of a natural floor (dirt or rock). Plants will not grow on top of constructed floor unless it is a farm plot, see this.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 12:04:39 pm »

I didn't know. I feel stupid now. Thank you.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 01:26:15 pm »

At one point, saplings could block movement in narrow halls, so I used to floor over everything with prejudice. All that colorful fungi sprouting was a sign of something very wrong.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 03:48:04 pm »

A modification of anewaname's statement: Plants will not grow on clean floors, but they will grow on muddied floor. Outdoor saplings will not grow on muddied floors either, though, as they require room for the roots to take root (but existing saplings can mature even if you dig out the level below).

Apart from floors, you can also use constructed roads (uses less material, but e.g. wooden roads are susceptible to fire). In addition to that, you can designate the tile a sapling is on for the building of a dirt road. That will remove any growth that was on that piece of ground (but won't prevent something to grow instead: however, it's useful if you want trees, but only certain species, so you remove all the samplings that are of the wrong kinds).

And, by the way, not knowing is not being stupid. Knowing but not using the knowledge is stupid. Trying to learn is an indication of at least a lack of complete stupidity (but asking the same thing again and again may result in a different conclusion...).

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 02:58:20 am »

Until someone informed me otherwise, I didn't know you could lay a floor out in space, without putting solid earth or wall underneath it first. Pretty much the exact opposite situation...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 03:52:26 am »

A modification of anewaname's statement: Plants will not grow on clean floors, but they will grow on muddied floor.

I'm not certain but I am pretty sure that plants won't grow on muddied roads though.  Which is why I pave all my waterworks with constructed roads rather than laying/smoothing the floors.

It certainly seems to stop the incidences of waterflow dropping dramatically when a Towercap miraculously appears in the middle of a channel...

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 11:08:11 am »

A very good point. However, you only need to protect the parts where there is more than a single tile of head room.

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 03:03:38 pm »

Well, I put wooden floor all over my camp, but it wasn't enough. Trees are still groing through floor, as well as walls. I'm getting desesperate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 04:12:24 pm »

That sounds rather odd, since both walls and floors should block trees (bridges do not). What DF version are you using, and are you using any mods? I believe crashes were caused by growing trees clashing with walls in 0.40.X, and I suffered from hostile attacks from trees around 0.40.13? where trees blew roads apart and threw logs through the floor.

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 04:18:32 am »

Dwarf fortress Masterwork v1.27 (43.05). So I assume the version 1.27 of masterwork, and the 43.05 of Dwarf fortress.

Here are some image. Sappling were on these spot, then I covered them with floor/wall. Sappling still grew up.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 04:36:03 am »

Ask in the mod forum. I have no idea if masterworks messes with tree behavior, but your problems do not match anything I've heard of with modern DF versions.

Edit:
Did you use some DFHackery to get your floors/walls into the positions? I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to plonk a wall down without removing the sapling.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:43:07 am by PatrikLundell »

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 06:43:03 am »

Not to my knowledge. i just pressed building, Wall/floor/stairs/track, wall or floor (b ~> C ~> w OR f)
then used box select to place it all over the ground. The floor is made of wood by the way.
Pages: [1] 2