Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Do you own firearms?  (Read 5534 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you own firearms?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 08:38:52 pm »

Oh, I misread it and who it was aimed at. Edit: What yoink said as it wasn't entirely clear whose side you were on.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 02:24:58 am »

I think Dorsi was taking GO's side there, although it's hard to tell.
Yes, not owning or wanting firearms is, despite being wrong, still a perfectly valid answer to the OP. :P   

Fakeedit: Ah, yeah.

I thought that "Do you own firearms?" was a rhetorical question thread title and the thread was for gun owners and aspiring ones. Also not calling GO a troll necessarily, the post just felt shitposty.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 02:30:04 am »

I live in the Netherlands, and I'm quite happy to not own a gun.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 02:40:14 am »

I live in the Netherlands, and I'm quite happy to not own a gun.

It's not like you can't own one at all down there, one of my dutch friends loves clay pigeon shooting for example. I am quite sure you people have similar laws to us?

I consider firearms more a piece of sporting equipment than any form of self defense measure, at least in the hands of unqualified civilians, learn krav maga lol

I also find most forms of hunting that do not involve getting on the preys level, covered in mud deep in the forest, unethical. Glad that punt guns aren't a thing anymore for example.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 03:40:52 am »

It's not like you can't own one at all down there, one of my dutch friends loves clay pigeon shooting for example. I am quite sure you people have similar laws to us?
if you mean similar to US, nope, not at all. We don't have a right to bear arms. You're right about sport shooting though. That's the one and only exception we have for a civilian to own a firearm (note that hunting wildlife is considered a sport). It's not a very popular sport though, and very strictly regulated. I believe it's not even allowed to take your gun home. You need to leave it in the locker at the gun club's shooting range, unless you have a very special permit (hunting license).
I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of Dutch people will never get to see a real gun in their entire life, except maybe a glimpse of a butt sticking from a cop's holster.
If I hadn't had a grandpa living in Belgium, who actually was a shooting club member and owned a Magnum with telescope sights (we ridiculed him for that for a looong time, that scope was the same size as the gun lol), I would personally not have seen a gun until I went to Berlin when I was 27, where the police patrolled the metro with drawn submachineguns for Labour Day.

EDIT: that being said, illegal firearm ownage has been rising ever since Schengen

EDIT2 : note that hunting licenses aren't permanent. They're only valid for a certain number of animals. There's strict quota on how much wildlife can be shot per year, and the number of hunting licences given out are directly correlated to that. To put it simple, if say, there's a quota to shoot 10 deer per year, and Jan gets a hunting licence for 5 deer, and Piet gets a hunting license for 5 deer, then that's it. No one else is getting a hunting license that year, and Jan and Piet's licences become invalid after their 5th kill.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:50:57 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 04:52:10 am »

In Denmark hunting license allows you to own any number of shotguns, but requires individual licensing for rifles. Hunting license requires yearly renewal and there are heavy restrictions on magazine capacity for weapons used in hunting. "Sport shooting" is considered different to hunting, which is a livelihood and we have much fewer restrictions on that, I think you can technically buy a Saiga 12K and take it clay pigeon shooting but I am not sure, did see a turkish semi auto shotgun with a detachable five round box magazine for sale once. Generally for target shooting the restrictions are even fewer, only on barrel length per type, for example the G17A and G17DK were specifically designed to be legal in Denmark. I have seen both Ruger 10/22s and Mini 14's for sale in various gun stores.

I used to think none of this was legal and only up to double barrel shotguns/combination guns and specifically made target shooting guns were legal, boy was I wrong, the paperwork is just intense and expensive.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 06:47:09 am »

Anyone mentioned the complete lack of paperwork in most of the US besides the paper saying you own the gun?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 07:04:14 am »

Speaking as a Briton I can tell you it is legally possible for us to own firearms, Metric Shitton of paperwork if we wanted one (and other rules on how to store the weapon) but both Aristocrats and farmers are known to possess and use guns. I cannot tell you the precise details because I don't have one. Much easier to get a 120lb longbow than a shotgun and more in keeping with Anglo-Welsh heritage.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 07:49:54 am »

I'm from Australia. Very happy sans civilian guns.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 08:13:59 am »

I think Dorsi was taking GO's side there, although it's hard to tell.
Yes, not owning or wanting firearms is, despite being wrong, still a perfectly valid answer to the OP. :P   

Fakeedit: Ah, yeah.

I thought that "Do you own firearms?" was a rhetorical question thread title and the thread was for gun owners and aspiring ones. Also not calling GO a troll necessarily, the post just felt shitposty.

I see, it was a misunderstanding on the part of all three of us (you, me, and dorsidwarf).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:11:51 am by smjjames »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 09:01:48 am »

Despite living in the middle of deer and duck hunting country in the southeastern US, no, I don't own any guns and don't really have any intention to.  I don't hunt and I'm not delusional enough to think that owning a gun would protect me in the event of a break in or something.  If anything I could get into sport shooting, maybe, but I've fired a few guns and frankly didn't care for the experience.  They're extremely loud and, for one reason or another, I feel uneasy just holding loaded guns.

I do own a longbow, and while I royally suck at its usage, I can at least reuse the ammo.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2017, 05:01:03 pm »

I don't have one, but I would like to own a flintlock or matchlock. Just for fun, not hunting or defense.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2017, 03:12:37 pm »

Despite living in the middle of deer and duck hunting country in the southeastern US, no, I don't own any guns and don't really have any intention to.  I don't hunt and I'm not delusional enough to think that owning a gun would protect me in the event of a break in or something.  If anything I could get into sport shooting, maybe, but I've fired a few guns and frankly didn't care for the experience.  They're extremely loud and, for one reason or another, I feel uneasy just holding loaded guns.

I do own a longbow, and while I royally suck at its usage, I can at least reuse the ammo.

Shooting without hearing protection and ballistic glasses, even with subsonic rounds and a silencer is a seriously bad idea. And a gun becomes a natural extension of your being after a while. I just bought a break action single shot pellet gun to get back into marskmanship, it still feels a bit strange. But as long as you keep the barrel pointed down range at all times(Look at how hickok45 does it, generally watch his gun safety and "new gun owner" video series, they are good to watch even if you don't care for firearms because they also teach you how to safely drop the magazines of magazine fed guns and unchambering them) and remember hearing protection shooting can become quite an addicting and fun experience. Once you stop associating guns with danger and instead understand them as a perfectly safe implement if handled with protocol and deliberation, a common, almost natural part of contemporary human existence, you start feeling less anxious about them, actually protecting you more from the danger they can impose in unrelieable and possibly malevolent hands.

But I know that it feels weird to begin with having several little containers filled with high explosives, heavy metals and rapid burning solid fuel put under spring pressure inside a big hunk of metal and wood. I felt like that too to begin with. What you do with yourself and your life is up to you but if you ever feel like getting back into it, find a nice range and ask for the friendliest dad-like instructor to help you.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2017, 03:28:19 pm »

I don't own any. I would love to, though.

Might be hypocritical, but I wouldn't like my fellow countrymen owning guns too. t least I know of myself I won't use it to harm anyone (for no reason), but I wouldn't trust others.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2017, 04:53:26 pm »

I don't own any. I would love to, though.

Might be hypocritical, but I wouldn't like my fellow countrymen owning guns too. t least I know of myself I won't use it to harm anyone (for no reason), but I wouldn't trust others.
looks like we've found a true American lads.

even if he's not American he is now.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4