Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Vassals of Sylthas OOC [6/?] (signups temporarily closed)  (Read 5564 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Vassals of Sylthas OOC/interest check [3/?]
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 05:23:59 pm »

Medieval, tech comparable to western Europe around the time of the crusades.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 05:25:51 pm »

Can it be advanced, or is the world in medieval stasis?

Avanti!

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 05:28:55 pm »

Well the crusades lasted from 11th to 15th centuries IIRC but I would welcome either option.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 05:30:42 pm »

Can it be advanced, or is the world in medieval stasis?
Well, through research and the likes things might be improved. Faster ships, stronger castles, more fertile farms and more. But don't expect things like gunpowder and planes happening, advancement shouldn't go pas the rennaisance. And it won't be a fast progress most likely.

Well the crusades lasted from 11th to 15th centuries IIRC but I would welcome either option.
You're right, whoops. Referring to the first ones in the eleventh century.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 05:47:26 pm »

So, no gunpowder even in the renaissance, despite the fact that gunpowder had use in the 12th and 13th centuries?

Avanti!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 05:52:39 pm »

So, no gunpowder even in the renaissance, despite the fact that gunpowder had use in the 12th and 13th centuries?
I just think guns somewhat ruin any fantasy game.
I'm not copying the exact tech, just making a medieval-esque world. For me guns ruin the medievality.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 05:57:29 pm »

We don't need guns, whoever gets them first would be extremely powerful if they were part of this. Cannons especially are OP until someone builds sloped walls for their castles/forts.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 06:00:08 pm »

Eh, alright. Science will still be useful.

Avanti!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 06:00:58 pm »

Edited in my sheet.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 04:23:51 am »

Spoiler: Macant (click to show/hide)
Accepted, but the same as Doubloon-Seven applies to you. I'll change the bonuses of the unique abilities, but they will be better than yours now so don't worry too much.

Reserved.

Spoiler: Ghazan (click to show/hide)
Accepted too.

Next thing I'm working on will be the mechanics for kingship. The nation will be an elective monarchy, meaning you can be elected king if you're a suitable contestant (noble).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:26:09 am by Lord_lemonpie »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vassals of Sylthas OOC/interest check [5/?]
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 06:53:59 am »

Kingdom Mechanics
The glorious nation of Sylthas obviously does not merely consist of vassals. All vassals have sworn fealty to the Crown. For centuries, house Luhmann-Pye has ruled Sylthas from their own principality. Their demesne is small yet densely populated, and through conquest, diplomacy and intrigue they managed to expand their nation, amassing vassals on the process. For centuries, both titles of house Luhmann-Pye, Prince of Sylthas and King of Sylthas, inherited all the same. The heir of house Luhmann-Pye would inherit both the Principality of Sylthas, a small, directly governed demesne, and the Kingdom of Sylthas, the crown of a large and divided nation. The last King of house Luhmann-Pye, Loraeth Luhmann-Pye, forsaw his childless death. He signed the Golden Pact, dictating that on his death, the vassals would elect the new king.

Whenever the current king dies, vassals, both PC and NPC, will vote on whomever they wish to succeed. Being the king has quite some benefits. A king can practically do anything they want. Reform the nation, declare wars, revoke titles. Their only hindrance is the vassals. Players can of course have any opinion they want on the king, and decide to follow his commands or not, but NPC's will usually have a good opinion on the king. They will be more likely to follow his commands, or aid him in enforcing them on others.

Voting and electors
All direct vassals to the king are electors, and thus able to vote on the King's successor. Electors can only vote on valid succesors, and are not allowed to vote on themselves. Voting can happen whenever one pleases,but is mandatory at the death of the current king. Players can change their vote whenever they so desire. The only non-elector able to vote is the king himself. The successor with most votes ascends to the throne after the current king's death.

Valid succesors
There are limits to whom can be elected king. The following people can be voted on:
The current king's heir(s)
Any feudal elector (counts, dukes, princes, marquises etc.)
Any elector, ruling until death and of noble birth (noble dictators, noble prince-bishops)

Voting amounts
Electors each have a set amount of votes, based on their governmental form, electability and power. An elector can not split these votes amongst multiple contestants. They can only vote on one other elector. Voting bonuses are decided as follows:

Feudal base vote: 2
Electable non-feudal base vote: 1
Unelectable non-feudal base vote: 3

King bonus: +3
Previous king bonus: +1
State religion: +1

Additional province bonus: +1 per additional province
Military bonus: +1 per 10,000 manpower
Wealth bonus: +1 per 5000 wealth

Abiding by these rules
These rules are ingame laws, and thus changeable by the players. Vassals can demand these rules to be changed, or kept the same. A king can decide to turn the kingdom in a primogeniture again, revoke of grant someone the right to vote or be elected, or change the amount of votes one gets to cast. But, if the king upsets too many vassals, they will revolt. If they succeed, they can demand the revertion of these changes, the abdication or death of the king, or even a new set of different laws. Vassals can also declare wars to instate new rules and/or kings themselves, as well as other reasons (religion, independence, personal feuds et cetera. Vassals can also wage war on eachother, but be careful to anger too many others, as you may soon find yourself fighting against the entirity of the nation.

Tl;dr: players can change these rules with enough ingame power to enforce their will.

The first set of rules I created, I'd love some feedback on them!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:33:19 am by Lord_lemonpie »

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 07:03:03 am »

Sounds good to me.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 07:14:00 am »

I would also like to point out that a grand duchy is pretty much the same as a principality such as Kiev or Rus. Aquitaine for example was about 1/5 of the size of the Kingdom of France.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 07:59:43 am »

All seems good.

Avanti!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 08:32:11 am »

I made a pretty shitty map on my Ipad, just to illustrate the basic borders of what we've got right now. Remember, size =/= power.

yellow: Principality of Sylthas. I'll play as king Loraeth Luhmann-Pye until his death from there. Then it'll become just another regular vassal.
White: Bishopric of Burmant
Cyan: Duchy of Elenia
Red: Grand Duchy of Oldetrag
Blue: Dictatorship of Macant
Orange: Ner-Ghazan tribes
Grey: currently undiferentiated other/NPC vassals

Of course, I won't be using this shitty map for the final game. Expect something like this map I once made for one of my worldbuilding projects

E: resized image
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:35:17 am by Lord_lemonpie »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6