Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Plight of the Atomic : Ship Thread [IC]  (Read 22367 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: Plight of the Atomic : Ship Thread [IC]
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2017, 07:23:17 pm »

Well. Not much one can do about another ship in an engine room. Well actually.. Eh Rai didn't feel like hosting that debate right now.

Mech-hanger sounds cool.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Vuldrae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2017, 08:41:10 pm »

I use my phone as a flashlight and go to the bridge but listen carefully to whatever possible dangers there are.

And I walk into the pitch black

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2017, 02:35:21 am »

Well. Not much one can do about another ship in an engine room. Well actually.. Eh Rai didn't feel like hosting that debate right now.

Mech-hanger sounds cool.

Not much of an engine room. Hanging out in space is fun. Also, that glowing dot is getting brighter. It's almost here.

Rai heads down to where he remembered the mech-hangar to be, based on the ship layout. He walks in to behold a trembling floor and a danching mecha. It looks like the only option has already been taken.

Suddenly the ship trembles again, as if something hit.

Spoiler: Rai's Stats (click to show/hide)

Jackson stands up.

"That should do it. Might want to get ready for an 'inspection', pals."

He then proceeds to the mech hangar.

There's a closet on the wall with red paint detailing its purposes:
"Newbies:
WEAR A MECH SUIT
If someone scratches the thing again he's gonna be dangling out the airlock for 24 hours
-Gearmaster Taurus"

Good to hear.

Jackson swaps out his spacesuit for the pilot suit. It's not particularly awkward to wear outside the mech, and it doubles as a pressure-suit, but once he enters the mech it starts to deform in the limbs and shoulders, making him feel off-balance. Surprisingly, this makes it easier to control the mech. There is direct feedback between the mech's stance and the suit's contortions, and that helps the pilot figure out whether he needs to lean forward or to compensate for swinging the mech's arms.

[5 => 2] He now manages to swing Longinus' lance without tipping over.

Spoiler: Embarked on Mech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jackson's Stats (click to show/hide)

:(

Spoiler: Rhodes' Stats (click to show/hide)

"So many machines here. I can hear their singing clear as day. I wonder if they worked on any weapons but were left half-finished?"

Look for any partially-finished weapons left around the factory, ones that might be quickly finished.

[3 => 2] It's a pirate ship, so there are scores of unfinished projects in the trash heap! Evidently, those who started on them were much less skilled than you are.

Or perhaps they just found something better to do with their time.

Abelard finished his work by testing the retrofitted drill he found. Its electronics were fully functional; it even had a ToDo list explaining what was and wasn't finished. The last note attached was:
"Not interested in finishing this piece of garbage. Too heavy to hold in a single hand--what's the point?"

Spoiler: Abelard's Stats (click to show/hide)

I use my phone as a flashlight and go to the bridge but listen carefully to whatever possible dangers there are.

And I walk into the pitch black

Riker turned on his lights and opened the door on his shuttle. Air rushed out, and he was left in silence.

His suit's lights illuminated his surroundings. Tanks of oxygen, hydrogen, and supplies lined the confines of the chamber he was in. He felt no gravity, just his magnetic boots pulling him to a graded floor. Underneath the floor he saw hydraulic machinery boostrapped together.  There was no rhyme-or-reason to anything's layout, it was just built to work.

He found no doors leading out of his current location. No signs or anything telling him where he was.
The walls had hydraulics, however. It looked like a system for lifting a massive door. Perhaps the arced ceiling itself was a door.
[3 => 3] He looked around and immediately saw a box on the wall, wired haphazardly to the pistons and hydraulics.
Pressing it, the ceiling opened up silently to a vista of stars
This definitely wasn't the mothership.

Climbing up the wall, he stuck his head out of the cargo bay. On one side, there's a huge greenish-black monolith, with glowing energy lines stretched out across its surface.
On the other side, he spots a rotating hab section. And a very bright star coming from the back of the ship. That must be another ship--

--It hurts his eyes to look. The other ship, a very long, needle-shaped craft with two laser turrets near the engine block, firing its thrusters in a deceleration burn and last-minute maneuver, swells to its full size. Riker saw a gossamer thread dangling from the side of the other craft--a gossamer thread which then tangled itself around the rotating hab section's support pylon. The other vessel reeled itself in, and soon Riker could make out marines in spacesuits leaving the airlock, armed with rifles.

Spoiler: Riker's Stats (click to show/hide)

"F' course I can sir. Let's get to it then."

Follow the officer to the marines. Before starting off on my pep-talk, break into a grin at the assembled soldiers.

"Men! I s'pose this is the point where I'm givin y'all a shake-up, a prep for this here mission. Well, I ain't gonna giva ya a talk on trustin' yer instincts or how yer all strong men of the navy. Y'all right now, you just hafta know one thing.

These are pirates, gentlemen. You are soldiers. I guess that's two things really but whatever. The point is that each f' you, yer trained and you know what yer doin', while th' idiots on that other ship prolly don' have a goddamn clue what to do right now. As long as th' lot f' you don't do nothing stupid, victory is pretty much assured!"

Flash another crooked grin.

"And y'all got me, watchin' yer backs. So there's nothin' to worry about anyway! So let's go in, kick some ass, and blow the whole place t' hell n' back! Who's with me?"

[3+2 for style => 3]

Eddie's pep-talk elicits a resounding cheer. Fists and barrels fly into the air, bump off the ceiling, and are soon followed by the marines themselves, floating about unprepared for the sudden reversal of gravity.

"I better get out of the airlock," says the captain, hanging onto a rail.

The airlock completes a pressure cycle and lowers the concentration of nitrogen in the air, lowering the pressure so that the plasma screen can hold. The door finally opens, and a purple haze obscures the backdrop of stars; up above, the target ship looms, with their cargo bay door evidently open. Eddie spots a helmeted figure peeking his head up out of it. Everyone will have some initial velocity as the Cruiser has just attached itself to the ship's spinning pylons, producing artificial gravity by rotation.
Each marine wearing (+1) combat armor has a shaped breaching charge that can rupture a couple inches of steel, an assault rifle, and a pistol. There are 10 marines in total.

Although you don't know the target ship's internal layout, Eddie has the following tactical options laid out before him:
->Target an airlock and breach it (perhaps it's unlocked?)
->Sabotage the zero-G section of the ship and force the enemy to come out for a fight (salvaging the ship may be difficult)
->Blindly breach a section of the hab, hoping to catch the enemy off-guard.

Spoiler: Eddie's Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:04:57 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2017, 05:14:16 am »

"I should test it in space... Figure out how it works."

Jackson, after checking that the mech is fully pressurized and seems like it SHOULD work properly in space, seeks some kind of airlock to fit the mech out of, and goes through it.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2017, 08:56:39 am »

((Sorry))

"What the hell?"

Rhodes would try to link back up with the others, and figure out what just happened. It would really suck if, for example, someone put in the identifier that says we're a pirates while right next to a naval ship.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2017, 09:22:54 am »

Go for a random airlock, and have some marines deploy their shaped charges. En route to the airlock, keep two marines a slight distance behind. Their job is to report if the helmeted figure does anything suspicious.

"Nobody go fer that pirate ovr' there! I'd bet me mum that it's a trap! You two! Keep a slight distance b'hind th' group and keep an' eye on 'im!"

Upon breaching, send everyone into the ship, and yell "PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE GODDAMN AIR! WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED!"
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2017, 03:35:46 pm »

((Sorry))

"What the hell?"

Rhodes would try to link back up with the others, and figure out what just happened. It would really suck if, for example, someone put in the identifier that says we're a pirates while right next to a naval ship.

Rhodes heads back up to the bridge to meet everyone, and then discovers that someone put in the identifier that says we're a pirate ship, while right next to a naval ship.

According to the bridge's sensors, it says there are two intruders in the mech hangar, one intruder in the bridge, and one intruder in the factory. All of these are on the other side of the ship, and there's no elevator to get there, so Rhodes will have to take a trip through space.

Before leaving the airlock, however, he notices something very strange out the tiny porthole: There's another ship. It's docked--no, it actually just seems attached at an odd angle. There are marines hovering around the ship, marines armed with rifles, wearing armored spacesuits, and carrying breaching charges on their backs.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2017, 03:49:56 pm »

"Did something hit our ship? These poor machines, being constantly abused for so long."

Wielding the drill in my normal hands, go to an airlock (while suited) to see if there is any noticeable damage or debris on the outside.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2017, 05:50:36 pm »

"Ah, crap."

Rhodes would try keep an eye on the marines without getting spotted, waiting for them to breach into the ship. Once they were out of sight, he'd make his trip across towards the mech hangar, and try to link up with the others.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2017, 02:44:01 am »

N/a

Spoiler: Rai's Stats (click to show/hide)

"I should test it in space... Figure out how it works."

Jackson, after checking that the mech is fully pressurized and seems like it SHOULD work properly in space, seeks some kind of airlock to fit the mech out of, and goes through it.

Jackson tests the jetpack, scorching the floor and almost killing Rai, who just entered the mech bay.

With little time to open the window and issue an apology, Jackson focuses on finding a giant airlock to sortie from--he discovers a giant elevator, which takes the mech to the "ground floor" of the mech hangar. The ground floor is pressurized and sealed--and it has a moon-pool style opening in the floor, bridged across by a hazy plasma window.
Jackson slips through and finds himself in space, falling away from the ship, and spinning slowly.

On the far side of the Atomic, Jackson sees the enemy ship parked (i.e. attached, via some kind of large tether wrapped around) on top of the pylon connecting the Atomic's hab section to its center.
The addition of extra weight has caused a bit of imbalance, so the Atomic itself is wiggling periodically, though the rotation speed is nowhere near enough to cause harm yet.

Spoiler: Embarked on Mech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jackson's Stats (click to show/hide)

"Ah, crap."

Rhodes would try keep an eye on the marines without getting spotted, waiting for them to breach into the ship. Once they were out of sight, he'd make his trip across towards the mech hangar, and try to link up with the others.

The marines create a gas leak and fire, and Rhodes eagerly awaits their entrance into the ship, sticking his head only as much as necessary... but the fire persists. It seems they might be here a while.

He remembers something about a Mech Hangar and a Fighter Hangar. The Mech Hangar is on the other side of the ship, but the Fighter Hangar should be accessible to him. It's on the far "bottom" edge of the Hab so that the fighters drop through the floor--this also means they'll be invisible to the marines for at least a short while.
If he doesn't plan on using a ship, it's at least a route to get into space undetected.

Spoiler: Rhodes' Stats (click to show/hide)

"Did something hit our ship? These poor machines, being constantly abused for so long."

Wielding the drill in my normal hands, go to an airlock (while suited) to see if there is any noticeable damage or debris on the outside.

The drill, detecting vacuum conditions, spins slightly even when released to prevent vacuum-welding of internal components. This only happens with crudely-assembled gear rather than proper (and expensive) spaceworthy stuff.

Abelard surveys the immediate landscape of the Atomic--and her new companion.

There is a new ship attached to the spinning habitat section. Abelard looks up to see it sticking past the central body of the ship, which looks like it's rotating. The gravity, however, forces everything outwards, and this includes the other ship; it's sagging away, attached non-rigidly to the Atomic's superstructure.

However, any activities going on in the other section are invisible to him, as the Atomic's own body is blocking the way.

Spoiler: Abelard's Stats (click to show/hide)

N/a

Spoiler: Riker's Stats (click to show/hide)

Go for a random airlock, and have some marines deploy their shaped charges. En route to the airlock, keep two marines a slight distance behind. Their job is to report if the helmeted figure does anything suspicious.

"Nobody go fer that pirate ovr' there! I'd bet me mum that it's a trap! You two! Keep a slight distance b'hind th' group and keep an' eye on 'im!"

Upon breaching, send everyone into the ship, and yell "PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE GODDAMN AIR! WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED!"

Making hand-signals to reduce radio chatter the marines set up their explosives. They put it where the lock is expected to be, so that the pressure of the atmosphere inside swings the door outward once it's breached.
Finally, as you order the demolition, the marines take cover behind a corner of the ship. [8 +> 5x6!] A brief flash illuminates the ship below, and returning to the scene of the crime you discover a plume of mist spewing out of the former airlock site, met with an emberlike glow.

It seems that an oxygen line was hit. Looking at the mangled mess inside the airlock, it seems spacesuits fitted with jetpacks are to blame for the fire.

Until the flames die down the marines don't seem too willing to take the plunge.

(You rolled five sixes. Literally.)

Spoiler: Eddie's Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:49:30 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2017, 03:49:34 am »

((A few questions before my action-
First, approximately how far away is the enemy ship? Are they, I don't know, within 1000 meters?
Second, how does removing governors work? It seems it improves my performance in atmosphere, but does damage to me over time. If that's the case, why does it have AP 3?))
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:15:57 am by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2017, 01:52:19 pm »

((A few questions before my action-
First, approximately how far away is the enemy ship? Are they, I don't know, within 1000 meters?
Second, how does removing governors work? It seems it improves my performance in atmosphere, but does damage to me over time. If that's the case, why does it have AP 3?))

((About 600-700m. Each have section is roughly 80m on all sides))
((AP 3 is a copy paste error. But if it weren't, it would mean you have AP 3 while it is active. On all melee attacks.))

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2017, 01:56:08 pm »

((Coolio. Hmmm, I wonder what I can do to targets within 1000 meters...))

Jackson braces himself, then fires five SRM missiles at the Marines' ship. He then dips back into the Mech Hangar.

((We should all have mid-range communicators, right? If so...))

"Everyone, the feds - the marines - are here. Get to the Mech Hangar. We'll make our stand here."

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2017, 02:35:12 pm »

"Awright boys, that prolly got them's attention! I wan' the lot f' ya t' extend out around this area here, an' shoot anyone who gets close! They've got t' come t' us now!"

Have the marines assume a defensive position on the side of the ship. I will take cover by a nearby bulkhead. Standing orders are to shoot anyone who gets near.

((PRAISE RNGESUS!))
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2017, 07:07:35 pm »

((Coolio. Hmmm, I wonder what I can do to targets within 1000 meters...))

Jackson braces himself, then fires five SRM missiles at the Marines' ship. He then dips back into the Mech Hangar.

((We should all have mid-range communicators, right? If so...))

"Everyone, the feds - the marines - are here. Get to the Mech Hangar. We'll make our stand here."

[3 => 1] Jackson finds a simple radio in the cockpit. It should work with the radios on the Pirate spacesuits (the ones with a big antenna on the side of the helmet). However, he has no idea which channel everyone else is set to, since the mech was probably set to talk to "mission control" in the first place.

In hindsight, some planning could have probably sorted that out, but nobody seemed to have thought about it.

Being a pirate is hard.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11