Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ok... now im dead right?  (Read 1764 times)

Endemonadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ok... now im dead right?
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:30:17 pm »

Ok im still going strong on my first proper go at this game... i impressed myself as i even managed to beat a 10man Goblin Seige, trapped 4 of them killed 3 and the other 3 left the map. But now....

"The Bronze Colossus Ikud Almoshenkos Oszagod has come! A gigantic magic statue made of bronze and bent on mayhem."

I dont have any metal weapons except a few ive bought from traders (only found gold and zinc), i cant make my own weapons or armour yet.  Ive got 100 dwarves and a solid above ground small stone fort covering my entrance (about 20/20 big).  I also have no clue how to 'magma', ive only got down to about lev40 as theres a massive cavern from about lev30.

Ive got a few caged beasts, 4 goblins, a giant cave spider, 2 troglodytes and a black mamba.

Any ideas on how to tackle this thing before i just go banzai and just feed him dwarves!?!?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Ok... now im dead right?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:37:14 pm »

You can combine that giant cave spider with cage traps to cage that titan. The wiki has "titans and forgotten beasts (as well as certain other types of creatures) are immune to traps entirely and will waltz right past all of your carefully placed cages unless the cage has a giant cave spider web on it." from here. The silk farm explains how to get the spider spitting webs out. Just don't let your spider get punched by the titan.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Endemonadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:06:45 pm »

You can combine that giant cave spider with cage traps to cage that titan. The wiki has "titans and forgotten beasts (as well as certain other types of creatures) are immune to traps entirely and will waltz right past all of your carefully placed cages unless the cage has a giant cave spider web on it." from here. The silk farm explains how to get the spider spitting webs out. Just don't let your spider get punched by the titan.

So i need to make the cages sticky so when the colossus walks over them he will set them off as normal and get trapped?

I have a small room of cages in the fort.  So if i placed the Giant spider cage in that room and encouraged it to spit around the room, then the cage traps are primed and sticky?

Then i can let the colossus into that room and a trap will catch him?

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 08:21:00 pm »

If this works, it's going to be brilliant.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:39:12 pm »

So i need to make the cages sticky so when the colossus walks over them he will set them off as normal and get trapped?

I have a small room of cages in the fort.  So if i placed the Giant spider cage in that room and encouraged it to spit around the room, then the cage traps are primed and sticky?

Then i can let the colossus into that room and a trap will catch him?
That's the gist of it, yes.  Webs render anything that is normally trap immune, vulnerable to said traps, including your Dwarves.  Alternatively, you could just wait him out, assuming you have a decent farming and/or animal operation in place.  Maybe take the time to dig some exploratory mineshafts in the hope of finding weapons grade metal.

Endemonadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 09:22:49 pm »

Ok.. ok.. ok... WTF just happened!?!?!?

Talk about fast paced few hours playing...!

So i just cleared the Goblin Siege and i had literally just settled all by livestock outside in their areas again... and this Colossus shows up.  *PANIC STATIONS* everyone back inside, and all you animals too!

So many animals trying to get through the door that the colossus manages to smash up a couple of donkeys, a goose and a duck... and omg now i get migrants arrive!!!

One of my dumb marksdwarfs chooses to go outside the fort (i still have doors open for the livestock) and gets booted across the screen.  1 dead silly dwarf... and now the migrants are all heading for my fort... another 3 dead dwarves but 4 get inside.  Now the colossus busts open his first door ..... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand gets trapped by the first cage trap!?!?!?!

How is this possible without being webbed up first?

Am i playing the luckiest game ever!?!?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:25:10 pm by Endemonadia »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 11:00:11 pm »

What made you think Bronze Colossi were Trapavoid? Doesn't mention anything about that on the wiki. Indeed it states that cage traps are the easiest way to deal with one.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 12:47:03 am »

Defensive moat around your castle entrance with a bronze colossus in it.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Nope, you're not dead, you'll be fine.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 01:57:09 am »

Congratulations on your successful trapping of a bronze colossus. You could make a really interesting zoo now.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 02:14:47 am »

What made you think Bronze Colossi were Trapavoid? Doesn't mention anything about that on the wiki. Indeed it states that cage traps are the easiest way to deal with one.
I gave bad info!

But on the other hand, he is now aware that he has the tools to prepare webbed traps.
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 05:12:38 am »

So now the only source of weapons-grade metal in your fort is a colossus?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 08:35:41 am »

How much metal would you get out of that? If it dies, it becomes a statue. Is the statue big enough to give a few dozen bars, or is it going to give up the usual smallish amount?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 09:36:03 am »

Small amout I believe...Beside the statue is masterwork. You don't really *want* to smelt it. If the colossus dies (good luck!) you'll be better served by placing it on a statue garden.

Meanwhile I think you should place it on a zoo. It's a megabeast. Some of your dwarfs have "see great beast" need, and it will give them good thoughts and make them focused.

Endemonadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 09:18:27 pm »

Meanwhile I think you should place it on a zoo. It's a megabeast. Some of your dwarfs have "see great beast" need, and it will give them good thoughts and make them focused.

O.o

Now thats interesting to know :)

So these Zoos do i keep all the creatures inside their cages?

Or do i create an inescapable pit or something like that for him?

I read somewhere that these colossus are good for levelling up your marksdwarves because they dont take damage... anyone know how to set that up?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 09:47:02 pm »

I read somewhere that these colossus are good for levelling up your marksdwarves because they dont take damage... anyone know how to set that up?
It is mentioned here in the wiki. You can zone-pit the colossus into the sealed room, or build the cage in the room and link it to a lever, then seal the room before pulling the lever to release it, and have dwarfs fire through fortifications at it.

Use this guide to help set up the marksmen gear properly.

The archer and target rooms can be like this

WSS~FBOR~~~~W           W= Wall
WSS~FBOR~~~~W           S= Statue (safe place for dwarfs to dodge to, instead of through the fortifications)
WSS~FBOR~~~~W           ~ = floor
WSS~FBOR~~~~W           F= Fortification
WSS~FBOR~~~~W           B = Bridge, one-wide and raising toward the fortifications, to block LOS to the room if needed
WSS~FBOR~~~~W           O = open space (so targets cannot stand adjacent to the fortifications)
WSS~FBOR~~~~W           R = downward ramp, in case targets wander or fall below, they can climb up

This is sample, and probably can be improved on.
Pages: [1] 2