Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Generals of the Georgian Empire (Revise Doctrine Phase)  (Read 6616 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Generals of the Georgian Empire (Revise Doctrine Phase)
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:15:24 pm »

This is the thread for the Generals of the Engineers and Generals (the Georgian Empire) game.

Here is a quick reference list for what the phases for the engineers will be:
Composition: The generals collectively compose a message to the engineers making a request for what they want designed.
Create Doctrine: The generals create a new aspect of the military's combat doctrine.
Meeting: In the main thread, the generals meet with the engineers to look over the design and request modifications.
Revise Doctrine: Modifications to the doctrine are made based upon received feedback gotten this phase, or modifications are made to old doctrines in order to better integrate them with the new.

Do not look into the Engineers thread.  While you are on the same faction, I want to keep information limited so the meeting phase can be more fun, and I don't want metagaming around you knowing exactly what design they are creating and planning your doctrine around that rather than having to deal with them making a design that is in your specifications but not what you were thinking they might do.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:40:34 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generals of the Georgian Empire (Composition Phase)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:30:20 pm »

I almost went Engineer, but I decided that I play as an engineer enough in the other Arms Races and decided I can do strategy better than a lot of people (Being a history buff) and so I want to be someone giving direction, not someone stuck with "Why not build a _____" and hating it all the while.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:33:13 pm »

Guess I'm a general, now.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 07:37:50 pm »

Welcome to the JCOS (Joint Chiefs of Staff)!!!

We control everything there is to control about this game. Except for the competence of the engineers. That, I am afraid, cannot be saved.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 07:45:55 pm »

Alas, that we be forever cursed with incompetent engineers.

Anyway, I think we should try and get the engineers to design a better rifle, or at least better ammunition for the one we already have, straightaway. The Minie ball is a thing now, and we should get on that particular train asap.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 08:24:03 pm »

I'm going to go generals. I figure it won't be too unbalanced to start out, and I really want to be a general.

How about this for a request to the Engineers?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:26:35 pm by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 08:33:36 pm »

First off, we're pretty far away from France to have access to their ideas and tech (Evidently even our best scientists and engineers haven't been exposed to the metric system yet :|).

And the Minie ball was unnecessary...Darnit, I had a really cool book called "Turning Points in Military History". Very useful. But I haven't read it in forever and I'm not sure where it is. But for some reason the Minie ball was overcomplicated and not necessary to get the most out of rifling...

Alright, so I checked the Engineers thread one last time, and there are some lunatics there. So, given that we still don't know what war we're facing, what are we lacking?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:45:47 pm by Madman198237 »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 08:36:28 pm »

First off, we're pretty far away from France to have access to their ideas and tech (Evidently even our best scientists and engineers haven't been exposed to the metric system yet :|).

And the Minie ball was unnecessary...Darnit, I had a really cool book called "Turning Points in Military History". Very useful. But I haven't read it in forever and I'm not sure where it is. But for some reason the Minie ball was overcomplicated and not necessary to get the most out of rifling...
I wouldn't be so sure. I mean, measurement systems are incredibly ingrained in culture, and our job is to be at the cutting edge. It's not impossible for the tech to have spread to us after 11+ years, especially when those rifles were used in the Crimean War, not that far away.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 09:11:08 pm »

Agreed; let us have better ranged and more accurate muskets.  Infantry is a vital mainstay of any army, especially if we are called to fight abroad with our allies.  I propose we have those dogs in weapons design work out some sort of better rifle - or a rifle, full stop, as we're currently using smoothbores, and we work on drilling our troops to up our effective fire rate - we should be able to get to at least five rounds per minute with better training.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:17:39 pm »

(Remember, you aren't designing it yourself.  You are instead delegating a task.  Think more in general terms.  One example I gave in the hub on the first page: "We need a river going boat for troop and supply transport that may defend itself if necessary."  Can get a little more specific, but the degree you've gone is a bit too overtly specific.)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 04:34:18 am »

Proposed Composition:  We need to improve our main infantry weapon.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:43:21 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 07:22:01 am »

Proposed Composition: we need a new rifled gun to replace our old muskets, with the ability to attach a bayonet at the end of the gun for close quarters fighting.

Edit: just made a little edit to the design regarding the bayonet.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:26:56 am by Khang36 »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 07:42:57 am »

Proposed Composition: we need a new rifled gun to replace our old muskets, with a bayonet to fight in close quarters.

+1

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 07:54:45 am »

Proposed Composition: we need a new rifled gun to replace our old muskets, with a bayonet to fight in close quarters.

+1
+1
Ammunition should preferably be rounded cylinder shaped. ((i.e. The shape of a squat grain silo))
Actually, yeah. I had thought the Crimean War was 1840s, instead of a few years into the 1850s. The minie ball wouldn't really be used.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:17:21 am by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 09:05:51 am »

+1
+1
Ammunition should preferably be rounded cylinder shaped. ((i.e. The shape of a squat grain silo))
Around this time frame i don't think it was common knowledge that a conical-cylinder is a better shape than a sphere, so it seems kind of unreasonable to be asking for that as part of the request.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5