Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95

Author Topic: BYOR 0 - Game Over: Everyone Dies, SK wins  (Read 186648 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 0 - Game Over: Everyone Dies, SK wins
« Reply #1380 on: July 12, 2017, 10:05:44 am »

Oh hey, we(the mafia) equal the number of remaining players(0 to 0) and there's no way to stop us. Does that mean we win?
~~~
GG.

Hey webadict, mind posting the submitted themes and their effects?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: July 12, 2017, 10:24:33 am »

Oh hey, we(the mafia) equal the number of remaining players(0 to 0) and there's no way to stop us. Does that mean we win?
~~~
GG.

Hey webadict, mind posting the submitted themes and their effects?
Oh man, there were a lot of themes.

I can post something later. I'll describe how I used them.

I felt a bit bad for the Mafia. They got some short straws this game. They had a lot of chances to become super powerful, but never had the chance to use them, plus they were a bit lower on the power curve. They did get lucky with one of the super powers they got though, and doublekilling mafia is terrifyingly strong. That was initially my justification early on, but I could've made some adjustments in their favor.

Oh well. Lesson learned.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: July 12, 2017, 10:58:15 am »

Some positives:
- A lot of the alignments were fairly well balanced by playstyle. The mafia was actually the least powerful in spite of themselves, which was my fault.
- The fusion ability was really well done. I would never allow the combined abilities ever again, but it really worked out. It never felt bad to have the same role, and there were positives to working with another player. I rate it an A- on the power scale.
- A two player cult may have been two weak, but it wasn't too frustrating to play against. I would consider similarly limited cults like that again.

Negatives:
- Massive power shifts are unfun! Big no-no in the future.
- Try to make better Mafiakill abilities. These ones were too niche for the most part.
- Readjust how power scales are for some alignments.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: July 12, 2017, 11:35:47 am »

Good game.  Revives were a bit of a slog, especially combined with fake-revives, but generally, things worked.

Webadict: One question, though: How did Tiruin get 4 web strands N2?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 12, 2017, 12:06:59 pm »

Also, in the end... Doll didn't even act.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: July 12, 2017, 12:24:02 pm »

Good game, folks, good game.

Honestly, Web, it felt like several of the town roles were boring. I think that I just got incredibly lucky that I picked Townies to side with (initially - obviously, it turned out that Lenglon became SK and Tiruin became cult, but they were initially town :p). It was fun how it happened, though.

Also, I was right about Tiruin in the end, too! I feel validated, at least.
Also, technically, my plan for everyone winning was possible if only the Merge 1-shot wasn't used. So ha.

:p

Also agree about the revives and multiple kills - for the folks who had no revives, it was pretty brutal to not get killed, in probabilistic terms... while revivers could just sail through much easier. Though having 3 baddie teams was pretty much unexpected until it was obvious, I liked the part a lot.

Overall I think the game was balanced by teams, but incredibly swingy and it was a bit lucky that it ended up this way. ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: July 12, 2017, 12:28:10 pm »

Um, what was the deal with us losing the neurolink ability and regaining it at the same time back on day... 3 i think it was?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: July 12, 2017, 12:37:00 pm »

Good game, folks, good game.

Honestly, Web, it felt like several of the town roles were boring. I think that I just got incredibly lucky that I picked Townies to side with (initially - obviously, it turned out that Lenglon became SK and Tiruin became cult, but they were initially town :p). It was fun how it happened, though.

Also, I was right about Tiruin in the end, too! I feel validated, at least.
Also, technically, my plan for everyone winning was possible if only the Merge 1-shot wasn't used. So ha.

:p

Also agree about the revives and multiple kills - for the folks who had no revives, it was pretty brutal to not get killed, in probabilistic terms... while revivers could just sail through much easier. Though having 3 baddie teams was pretty much unexpected until it was obvious, I liked the part a lot.

Overall I think the game was balanced by teams, but incredibly swingy and it was a bit lucky that it ended up this way. ;)
Pretty fair and I agree. Some roles were hard to come up with, and I wanted to keep them somewhat related. I think if I had done a bit more research and baking, some roles would've been much better, but yeah, you can see how much I really understand about a role based off how crazy the abilities are.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: July 12, 2017, 01:12:35 pm »

Personally, I was hoping for mostly the same thing, except that I was a cult.

But I wasn't. And it was Tiruin instead, eventually.

Anyways, 9/10, would deff play again.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 12, 2017, 02:30:23 pm »

I role up the alignments seperately from the role. This setup had very little craziness alignment-wise. But it isn't fair to make a role have a certain alignment.

Except the role webadict. That one is always mafia.

Pozzai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 12, 2017, 03:24:16 pm »

Some positives:
- A lot of the alignments were fairly well balanced by playstyle. The mafia was actually the least powerful in spite of themselves, which was my fault.
- The fusion ability was really well done. I would never allow the combined abilities ever again, but it really worked out. It never felt bad to have the same role, and there were positives to working with another player. I rate it an A- on the power scale.
- A two player cult may have been two weak, but it wasn't too frustrating to play against. I would consider similarly limited cults like that again.

Negatives:
- Massive power shifts are unfun! Big no-no in the future.
- Try to make better Mafiakill abilities. These ones were too niche for the most part.
- Readjust how power scales are for some alignments.

I personally feel my role didn't fit in with the amount of revives etc in the game. My save of Tea n1 turned out to be a negative to town overall, and would've been by saving a few other people as well.

By saving Tea town got:
1 less kill action prior to losing.
1 less vote.
1 more death/future bulletsponge.
More misinformation on what happened.

And there wasn't actually any benefit involved in saving her.
I can't even start to explain how demoralising it feels making the correct call in who is dying, only to find out you basically fucked town over by doing so. :/

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: July 12, 2017, 03:47:05 pm »

That's true and completely fair. I actually built your role with the assumption you would build into a new role first, but that's a dumb assumption to make.

I'll take that into consideration. But, Tea's role was a little special, since recurring revives are incredibly rare, so a lot of that was bad luck. But I think revives do cheapen kills in general, so making a guard ability that could've done more is fair. I actually tried to give you an evolving role to fit your submitted theme.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 12, 2017, 04:21:31 pm »

I role up the alignments seperately from the role. This setup had very little craziness alignment-wise. But it isn't fair to make a role have a certain alignment.

Except the role webadict. That one is always mafia.
What about the role "If 'webadict' were a Cultist"?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Pozzai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 12, 2017, 04:23:50 pm »

That's true and completely fair. I actually built your role with the assumption you would build into a new role first, but that's a dumb assumption to make.

I'll take that into consideration. But, Tea's role was a little special, since recurring revives are incredibly rare, so a lot of that was bad luck. But I think revives do cheapen kills in general, so making a guard ability that could've done more is fair. I actually tried to give you an evolving role to fit your submitted theme.

Yeah but it would be essentially the same with a bunch of the other revive roles, and even Doll's role if they hadn't basically outed every action they wanted to take and what it meant would've been a net-negative save.

I dislike revives in general, but I think bodyguard types really doesn't have a place with them, either a different prot role, or "revives is town's protection" seems smoother ^^

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 12, 2017, 05:11:39 pm »

Yeah but it would be essentially the same with a bunch of the other revive roles, and even Doll's role if they hadn't basically outed every action they wanted to take and what it meant would've been a net-negative save.

I dislike revives in general, but I think bodyguard types really doesn't have a place with them, either a different prot role, or "revives is town's protection" seems smoother ^^
It is for sure. A lot of it is about power balancing. I think maybe it could've been a lot better though, thinking about it. I didn't want to give too many protects, especially with inspects flying around.

Maybe it is better to give weaker actions more expansive choices and modification. I could've given you the ability to see if they would die and not revive and therefore not dying for nothing. Or gaining information.

They are all fair criticisms.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95