Poll

Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Yes
- 4 (50%)
No
- 4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 27 - Game Over - Il Palazzo wins  (Read 33819 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 27 - Mild Madness
« Reply #330 on: August 29, 2017, 04:32:00 am »

*knock, knock*
Hey Marveni,
It's Lanka,
trying to be relevant.

Matching with the current GoT Final
(spoilers)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 29, 2017, 05:58:04 am »

Huh. The one trick pony somehow keeps on winning.

In other news, Ermor is making a move for the win, with possible ETA: 3 turns. If anyone (at this point this means Hinnom, basically) can rain some sick sorcery on Jome (42) or Ligrea (97) - now would be the time.

I've got a somewhat relevant question: can one claim a throne while under siege?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 29, 2017, 12:57:42 pm »

You and Hinnom rain some sick sorcery? Aren't you two at the bottom of the research ladder? Yup, discounting Lanka (Sorry Thtbloves, but you kinda are fairly irrelevant where research is concerned), Therodos is in last, followed by Hinnom. I really am not scared of your magical talents, and yes, I do have access to all the score graphs thanks to the Eyes of God. Now the only thing that will make this better is if a had a decisive battle or two...

But either way, VICTORY RUSH!!!

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 29, 2017, 01:16:13 pm »

Yup, discounting Lanka (Sorry Thtbloves, but you kinda are fairly irrelevant where research is concerned), Therodos is in last, followed by Hinnom.
Not due to lack of trying on my part - I've been building a researcher from every castle with a lab virtually every turn, and as soon as I hit construction 6 I churned out the lightless lanterns... but it just doesn't seem to be enough. Maybe I should've splurged on some +magic scales or something.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:36 am »

No offence taken, I can only imagine how tiny my score graph has to be at this point.

Just being along for the ride is great, too.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 30, 2017, 05:27:16 am »

No offence taken, I can only imagine how tiny my score graph has to be at this point.

Just being along for the ride is great, too.
You have ~3 bars for research, Therodos has ~9, Hinnom has ~12.

(Note: By bars I mean the alternating colored horizontal sections that the scoregraphs have, it isn't exact, but it gives the general point across yeah? I'll post the scoregraphs after the end, or if the end becomes all but guaranteed, and you're stuck with Therodos trying to teleport/fly-in quake spam (It wouldn't work anyway, I've seen that utterly ruin C'tis way earlier in the match, and recently annihilate Marverni's mage-blob. Did you think I wouldn't take countermeasures? Especially as Marverni could've used a Turbo-Communion Quake-Spam setup? (Their research was very very good until recently) You'll need to fight me head-on, and give me the Decisive Battle I oh so very much crave... Now come, the time for words have passed, and the time for action has come! It's do or die, LET'S DO THIS!!))

(I may have been half asleep when typing this.)

Glory to United Forenia!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 30, 2017, 05:37:07 am »

You won't get a decisive battle of the kind you want, because I can't get my main army there on time. Neither can Hinnom, as far as I can tell. You'll have to make do with whatever I have in the region, and/or with Marverni fort defenders.
But hey, don't get too cocky!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:45:26 am by Il Palazzo »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 30, 2017, 06:21:15 am »

You won't get a decisive battle of the kind you want, because I can't get my main army there on time. Neither can Hinnom, as far as I can tell. You'll have to make do with whatever I have in the region, and/or with Marverni fort defenders.
But hey, don't get too cocky!

Awwww.....

I'm not getting cocky, I'd be happy with a loss if it was because we engaged in the Glorious Decisive Battle and I lost.
And I know victory isn't all but assured yet, note how I didn't post the score graphs.

Glory to United Forenia!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 31, 2017, 03:25:40 am »

I'm not going to be extending for Happery any more. His main army was wiped out, and there's not much left provinces-wise, so I don't think he can do that much anyway in those end days.
Having said that, it'd be nice if he either kept playing or set the nation to AI, instead of holding up the game like that.

you're stuck with Therodos trying to teleport/fly-in quake spam (It wouldn't work anyway, I've seen that utterly ruin C'tis way earlier in the match, and recently annihilate Marverni's mage-blob. Did you think I wouldn't take countermeasures? Especially as Marverni could've used a Turbo-Communion Quake-Spam setup?
Oh, the hubris of Rome.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:25:05 am by Il Palazzo »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 31, 2017, 07:42:34 am »

Oh, the hubris of Rome.
.....I forgot about the cave bonus...

Even if you tore down half of that communion it still would've ended in a funeral pyre for your forces... But the darn cave bonus made it more than half in that initial 'volley' didn't it?... And you took out that Adept of the Silver Order that the bulk of my anti-quake countermeasures depended upon... My Prophet only had 2 hp and he survived that entire mess, so why the heck couldn't he?... Darn you RNGesus... (Don't say a ring of levitation would've saved him, cave-ins don't care about that.)

Still, assumptions that bit me: Assuming that you didn't build a lab on the Throne of Sorcery yet to teleport your Pretender because you recentishly conquered it (Eyes of God does NOT let me see labs, just forts and magic sites), not taking your Daktyl's air magic into account (I checked flight range and found it ok, so I figured that even if you teleported your pretender, the one free quake you could've gotten off would've hurt yes, but wouldn't be nearly enough, and the reduction of that statue into slag would've commenced), forgetting that earthquake is a lot deadlier in caves, trusting that RNGesus would see me through with those amulets of luck, and hoping that extreme redundancy in the form of a lot of augers would've seen me through anything I assumed you could have thrown at it... Really over-invested there on the augers, I easily could've gotten away with half of those numbers...

Still, try as you might, Il Palazzo, you aren't dislodging me from the Throne of Life needed for your win, not without a proper Decisive Battle, you darn coward.
But still, with both mine and Marverni's plots for victory foiled, that leaves you in the lead, with control over the Throne of Sorcery (3) and Night (1), and imminent threat over the Throne of Elements (3), does it not Mr. #1 in Province Count, Forts and Gem Income? Oh, and let's not forget the other thrones you are near.

EDIT: Oh right, my biggest regret: All that time and effort to make that army formation all nice and neat and Howl-Proof... All for naught...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:47:42 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 31, 2017, 09:04:14 am »

Yeah, people seem to keep forgetting about various aspects of earthquake, for some reason. You know, the one spell just screaming 'for copious use by Therodos'.
I have to admit, though, that both lvl3 thrones ended up in caves is a stroke of luck nearly on par with having them underwater.

But no worries, the momentary crisis of somebody winning is averted. I can't break the walls of that Marverni pig breeding facility with ~100 units, and I'm sure as hell not assaulting your other blob head-on with the ragamuffins I have there (or am I?).
The game continues. :)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 31, 2017, 05:06:13 pm »

And you took out that Adept of the Silver Order that the bulk of my anti-quake countermeasures depended upon... My Prophet only had 2 hp and he survived that entire mess, so why the heck couldn't he?
Most likely because your prophet had 19 defence w/o his shield, while your Adept had 1. I looked at the detailed combat log, and it seems like the prophet wasn't hit even once (as is to be expected with such high def), while the Adept was hit twice in the first round, exceeding shield block value both times, with first hit being negated by luck.

Note that with 1 def he was almost certain to be hit (I think it comes down to 10% evasion chance per casting? I'm not entirely sure how earthquake to-hit works, but the statistics kinda look like a 10-attack roll). He had something like 35% chance of blocking with his crystal shield, but even then he'd have to roll against 20-strength* armour piercing damage due to cave collapse - which I think would give him roughly a 50/50 between no damage and some damage.
(*At least Dom4inspector says it's 20. The damage rolls are confusing.)

I'd say he had rather less than 50% chance of survival past the first round.

I wonder if Fog Warriors would have been sufficient at that point, though. Your army was already badly beaten up, with a lot of units surviving with 1 or 2 hp. 2 more earthquakes would have killed a lot of these survivors, mistform or not. Plus, with cave collapse damage the mistform would pop on a large fraction of remaining units.
I still had two decked-out Meilas to thug it out, but it'd be a much more tense affair. You had some absurdly high morale there (+8 squad morale?O_o??), and I had a very few units.

In any case, I don't think you'd have enough left to take on Marverni defenders.

By the way, I've just noticed something - you may want to reconsider placing your mummy together with your other mages on the battlefield. It's making them sick, quite literally.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 31, 2017, 07:17:03 pm »

Except Cave Collapse doesn't strike the entire battlefield like the rest of the quake does, only 10% of it from looking at the Mod Inspector.
But yeah, if I got Fog Warriors off it would've been tense, I would've torched your ghosts, while the armor on my hastati isn't exactly heavy it'd be enough to drop the incoming damage below 20 reliably even in the case of cave ins, and it's kinda hard to Thug against Pillar of Fire spam, is it not? But yeah, you probably would've hurt me bad enough to stall my advance.
(Fun fact: The commander that gave the +8 squad morale survived :D)

But yeah... Thanks about the Mummy.... What I get for being lazy after making the formation all neat on the other blob... (That blob had no positioning, it was just a blob)

Glory to United Forenia!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 01, 2017, 04:09:24 am »

Huh? I don't see anything about cave collapse being 10% in mod inspector.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 01, 2017, 09:18:02 am »

Huh? I don't see anything about cave collapse being 10% in mod inspector.

Check the 'advanced' box, under the UI where you can specify your search, and then 'more info'.

Reveals some things that isn't immediately available, like how Cave Collapse has an entirely separate spell ID from Earthquake, and yes, how its AoE is 10% of the battlefield.

Glory to United Forenia!

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26