Poll

Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Yes
- 4 (50%)
No
- 4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 27 - Game Over - Il Palazzo wins  (Read 33842 times)

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 27 - To Glory
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2017, 11:55:20 pm »

Well, I screwed my expansion up bigly.

Could I suggest a 26h-28h turn timer? I'm not a big fan of the gradual creeping of the turn interval that happens on 24 hour timers.

As for the borders, given that I keep province connections on at all times anyways, it hasn't been too difficult for me to wrap my head around, so i haven't bothered replacing the borderless map (which is indeed very pretty).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:03:35 am by Darkwind3 »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2017, 12:21:29 am »

So fucking cramped though.  My expansion's been going fine so far, except there's almost nowhere to actually expand.  I've got two neighbors and two thrones and a lot of dismal useless territory in between.  I'd be spooked if my expansion parties weren't so stronk.
Shoes...

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2017, 12:56:59 am »

Well, I screwed my expansion up bigly.

Could I suggest a 26h-28h turn timer? I'm not a big fan of the gradual creeping of the turn interval that happens on 24 hour timers.

As for the borders, given that I keep province connections on at all times anyways, it hasn't been too difficult for me to wrap my head around, so i haven't bothered replacing the borderless map (which is indeed very pretty).

I second the 26-28ish hour turn timer, a 24 hour timer can be an ever tightening noose to some people...

(Also what's with all the complaints with the map? Wraparound is the only confusing thing about it here, and 2-way wraparound tends to do that to me anyway!)

(P.S. Cthulhu, don't you have an ocean to expand into if push comes to shove?.. Fomoria is quasi-amphibious after all... And I'm pretty sure you get a coastal start.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2017, 01:09:50 am »

The cost of entry is pretty high, our only amphibious commander is an expensive cap-only STR, but yes, we are technically quasi-amphibious.
Shoes...

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2017, 01:16:48 am »

The cost of entry is pretty high, our only amphibious commander is an expensive cap-only STR, but yes, we are technically quasi-amphibious.
Expensive cap-only STR who can grant a small squad of guys waterbreathing!

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2017, 01:35:48 am »

(Also what's with all the complaints with the map? Wraparound is the only confusing thing about it here, and 2-way wraparound tends to do that to me anyway!)

First off the tiles don't have borders if you haven't renamed/deleted the original .tga file and then renamed the second one that came with it to the originals name. Even with the borders though it doesn't look the best that way though it does make rivers and mountain passes easier to tell.

Secondly because it is a hexagon grid, even though the number of tiles are similar to other maps for this many players, it is a lot more cramped. My expansion party went straight from my capital and accidentally took a tile adjacent to another capital. My scout went in another direction and has already seen another capital. Even with the rivers and mountains because of the regularity of the connections the map doesn't have any really good choke points to slow down movement between nations.  It does remove the nasty thing were a player ends up with a capital with only two or three connections and either they have a stronghold or they can't leave their capital in the first few turns because every tile they can get to is packed with heavy knights.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2017, 01:57:45 am »

Yeah, it reminds me of the cartographic revision maps.  Aside from shitty provinces like swamps and wastelands and the two big lakes there's barely any real landforms going on here.  It's just a bunch of hexes next to each other.  A continent-shaped map with the same number of provinces would feel bigger because it's stretched out over various deformations and elongations and such.  Here, every province is connected to six other provinces so the same number of provinces covers much less space than you'd think.
Shoes...

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2017, 02:17:48 am »

There aren't even tiles that don't connect on one of their sides. Everything connects, even if it is by mountain pass or river. This map gives a "fair" place to play with everyone getting about the same play field. Sadly fair isn't always fun or a nice place to play. I think this map will be alright but next round I join won't have a hex map like this one.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2017, 02:25:49 am »

Hosting Intervall updated to 29 hours, reminders at 18 left.

I'm feel bad about the map issues, the votes where pretty close and all that.

I guess I got a bit more lucky with less close capitals...

Soft reminder that we have a silly "dont storm the enemys capital for X turns" rule (like 10?)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2017, 02:36:26 am »

Honestly the map seems fine to me. But then I'm one of the people who have always played with Province Connections turned on. I'm gonna save the complaining until we find out how tight the borders end up at least.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2017, 02:40:23 am »

The map isn't bad. It just isn't to the taste of some people.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2017, 03:09:33 am »

It won't be as bad once the stragglers have been gobbled up and the remainder have more breathing room.  Just think of it as an anti-stalling feature.  The first ten turns are always so boring.
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2017, 04:52:34 am »

Please, be mindful of the undead in those lakes.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2017, 05:48:01 pm »

An event gave me a peasant commander, leading an army of 6 goats... thanks?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2017, 06:03:34 pm »

I was wondering why you had goats.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26