Poll

Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Yes
- 4 (50%)
No
- 4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 27 - Game Over - Il Palazzo wins  (Read 33867 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 27 - Mid-Game-Melee
« Reply #225 on: July 15, 2017, 03:03:33 pm »

Thanks for the request though! Quite kind of you to do so immediately after declaring war on me, even.

You're welcome! And also remember that this is Bay12! Easy is boring after all...
Yes I said I would be going to sleep, but SOMEONE decided that my bed would make an excellent table/counter/flatish thing you put stuff on...

EDIT: Err... umm... Going to have to ask for an extension for myself... Meant to do the turn last night, but sleep claimed me a bit earlier than intended, and I don't have time to dump into doing the turn now, or in the next 7 hours. (Sorry for the delay of game everyone.. I'll get it done as soon as I have time for it..) EDIT2: Found time for it, still requesting the extension for Marverni.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:02:00 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2017, 10:48:33 am »

No need, I'll get it in before the deadline.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #227 on: July 17, 2017, 01:21:47 pm »

That Earthquake was basically my last card. Looks like I at least took down a chunk of Marveni's army with me.

I'm going AI, if no one objects. There's basically no real move that an intelligent player could make better than a robot, now.

Post-mURtem coming later.

EDIT: GG, Marveni. Somewhat sorry I wasn't able to put up a bigger/more entertaining fight.
Check out my books at O and H Books

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2017, 02:57:32 pm »

So Ur falls?

No shame in that, Karlito is a very good player and Ur always had a bit of a hard time...

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2017, 04:12:55 pm »

POST MURTEM INCOMING:

There were three major factors in Ur's defeat.

1. Farmer Brown
2. Enchantment 5
3. THUNDERDOME!

Let's break it down.

I had a number of pretenders made, but the one I ended up using (to my eventual regret) was a N9E4 bless strat. Regenerating, reinvigorating recruitable dragons are pretty awesome, right?

Right. But that's more of an early-game expansion strategy. The problem is, once you run out of indies, then what? Sirrushes can't win wars by themselves. Switch to Enki's Chosen and Ur Guards? Sure. But then you have to have A strong dominion to pump out the holy points (remember, you're also buying Sirrushes and holy mages) and B resources.

That last was the problem. I took Sloth 1 to pay for everything else, which meant I couldn't recruit hordes of hairy Mesopotamian analogues. This meant no large armies. This meant I didn't have the numbers to take on Marveni, who did have large armies.

Were I to travel backwards in time, and somehow have nothing better to do than to instruct my past self on Dominions, I would tell him to pick one of the other pretenders. Either an Earth Serpent or a generic scales build would have done much better.

But that wasn't the only problem...

Ur has crazy mage power in the form of Shamans. Like, sure, just have N3 to start with and a chance of getting an E3 or an N4. No, you don't need a temple or slow-to-recruit or anything, we're good.

I saw the easy potential for N5, or even N6 mages, and I decided to rush Enchantment from the beginning. It didn't help that I found an enchantment bonus magic site. I got to Enchantment 5 just before the war began, and... couldn't do much with it. :( It's just not got that much battle magic.

What would have made much more sense is to rush Evo 5, then spam Shamans 'till I ran out of upkeep. Any Shaman is a perfectly serviceable Blade Wind caster with a Summon Earthpower, and one third can Earthquake, also with a Summon Earthpower. That's some serious battle magic. It might have been enough.

But no. I got there just last turn. The reason I attacked instead of waiting for Marveni to storm is...

THUNDERDOME!

OK, really, it's because I was running low on gold. Since there was so little space, Marveni's first attack took a cap circle, and next turn he besieged Ur. ): No more dragons. Some time later, he besieged my other fort and no more income. People were deserting, and I had to attack before my one E3 mage left. Still killed over 170.

Had there been time and space, it's possible I could have gotten my act together before the end. But there was neither. This kind of map is like a knife fight in a phone booth, and if you don't have your knife, you're not going to be in the phone booth much longer.

BONUS TIP: Ur has stealth troops in swamps. Had I known this, I would totally have been recruiting tons of them.
BONUS TIPx2: Whether or not you're playing with story events, the description of the priest king/queen is not fluff. I found this out the hard way.

Worst luck: When a fire destroyed my laboratory in one besieged fort, making all researchers therein useless.

Best (weirdest) luck: Getting a vampire via a random event, then prophetizing him. A regenerating invulnerable flying immortal with life drain is a pretty decent thug. I didn't know if he would keep items after death, but I never made any items, so it was a moot point.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2017, 04:22:55 pm »

Nice analysis, Gigalith. I've never yet seen anyone pull of Ur, despite its quirky and fun variety of units. So far, they seem more fun than effective.

And no, immortal units dying don't keep their items.

Anyway, thanks for playing.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2017, 06:05:25 pm »

I was wondering how there could be someone in the Hall with multiple deaths.
Neat - certainly makes my shepherd + goats random seem piddling in comparison.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 18, 2017, 03:23:56 pm »

I guess I'll toss in my own thoughts on the war.

1. Farmer Brown
2. Enchantment 5
3. THUNDERDOME!
So was the war over before it even began? Or did you commit a fatal error by allowing me to siege your forts uncontested and defeat your various forces in detail? There was a moment where you could have joined the forces in your second fort with your capital army and capital pd to fight against my assault as a unified front, but instead you didn't. I don't know that you would have won that battle, but I definitely felt that I was taking a gamble by ordering a direct attack on Ur province.
The "pull everything back behind the walls" strategy could work, but only if you get someone else to attack me from behind. Otherwise it just turns into the slow death through attrition that you experienced.

I had a number of pretenders made, but the one I ended up using (to my eventual regret) was a N9E4 bless strat. Regenerating, reinvigorating recruitable dragons are pretty awesome, right?

Right. But that's more of an early-game expansion strategy.
Was it even a good expansion strategy though? I'll say straight up that the reason I decided to attack you is that I had a scout in Ur from a fairly early point, and your expansion was definitely behind the curve (at least the curve I was setting). Your second fort only finished building after I had already started moving forces to the border, for example. Anyway, being the big bully that I am, I took advantage of that weakness.

I saw the easy potential for N5, or even N6 mages, and I decided to rush Enchantment from the beginning. It didn't help that I found an enchantment bonus magic site. I got to Enchantment 5 just before the war began, and... couldn't do much with it. :( It's just not got that much battle magic.

What would have made much more sense is to rush Evo 5, then spam Shamans 'till I ran out of upkeep. Any Shaman is a perfectly serviceable Blade Wind caster with a Summon Earthpower, and one third can Earthquake, also with a Summon Earthpower. That's some serious battle magic. It might have been enough.
Foul vapors and relief are ok, though I usually think of all the good nature stuff being in Alt. Plenty of good things in there for your water mages I guess.

Best (weirdest) luck: Getting a vampire via a random event, then prophetizing him. A regenerating invulnerable flying immortal with life drain is a pretty decent thug. I didn't know if he would keep items after death, but I never made any items, so it was a moot point.
You got that stalker through an event too. I was pretty worried about him for turn or two.

Anyway, thanks for playing! Sounds like you definitely learned a few things from all of this. I'm sure you'll have an opportunity for revenge in a future game. :D
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 18, 2017, 03:31:09 pm »

I was wondering how there could be someone in the Hall with multiple deaths.

Apropos very little, I worked this out one time, and IIRC, a death is the equivalent of 8xp for HoF ranking.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 18, 2017, 04:16:21 pm »

IMO, the best thing to do with big nature mages is cast charm with them, preferably while they're wearing +spell pen gear - the only thing better than a spell that kills things is one that turns your enemies against each other! (Plus, should any survive fighting their comrades - free troops!)

Mind you, it's pretty damn high up the Thaum tree, and there's not much else there, really, so it's not a great thing to rush for.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #235 on: July 18, 2017, 06:25:02 pm »

I guess I'll toss in my own thoughts on the war.

1. Farmer Brown
2. Enchantment 5
3. THUNDERDOME!
So was the war over before it even began? Or did you commit a fatal error by allowing me to siege your forts uncontested and defeat your various forces in detail? There was a moment where you could have joined the forces in your second fort with your capital army and capital pd to fight against my assault as a unified front, but instead you didn't. I don't know that you would have won that battle, but I definitely felt that I was taking a gamble by ordering a direct attack on Ur province.
I didn't think that would worked, to be honest. All I was thinking was getting Earthquake to disrupt that communion. I don't know if I did.

The "pull everything back behind the walls" strategy could work, but only if you get someone else to attack me from behind. Otherwise it just turns into the slow death through attrition that you experienced.
Basically. I tried to get Tir Na Og to attack you while you were after me, but they didn't. Possibly bribery would have helped, but alas...

Right. But that's more of an early-game expansion strategy.
Was it even a good expansion strategy though? I'll say straight up that the reason I decided to attack you is that I had a scout in Ur from a fairly early point, and your expansion was definitely behind the curve (at least the curve I was setting). Your second fort only finished building after I had already started moving forces to the border, for example. Anyway, being the big bully that I am, I took advantage of that weakness.

I was blocked everywhere. I'm not sure where I could have expanded. ??? I was thinking of backstabbing you next, but then you backstabbed me first. C'est la vie.

Foul vapors and relief are ok, though I usually think of all the good nature stuff being in Alt. Plenty of good things in there for your water mages I guess.

Although I've racked up over 100 hours on dominions, I'm actually still not that familiar with the research tree. Or bamboo field, more accurately. Had I known Relief was just one level away, I probably would have gotten it to counter Stellar Cascade spam. Or would that have even been enough?
You got that stalker through an event too. I was pretty worried about him for turn or two.
Yeah, up until he decided to go head-to-head with your hero. :( I actually got two heroes of my own. That Light of the Northern Star actually helped one of my mages do... nothing, because she wasn't casting astral spells.

Anyway, thanks for playing! Sounds like you definitely learned a few things from all of this. I'm sure you'll have an opportunity for revenge in a future game. :D

You, too! :D While I made mistakes on my end, I still think your victory was well-deserved.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2017, 08:30:54 am »

Nature really is the support path of magic in this game and most nations that are amazing with it have very good troops (really only talking about my expierence with pangeaa here)

Conjuration has Howl (and plenty of rituals) which is always good to annoy mages and win long battles, but the only really strong tree is alteration tbh. Thrau takes to long to get anywhere and doesn't affec the battlefield as much as Army of Giants or Regeneration or all that does...

Edit: Reminder PM to Emor and extended hosting.

The game will now host at 18:00 GMT on Thursday July 20th.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2017, 11:50:43 am »

.....Sorry, I'll get it done in hopefully up to an hour from now (Doing it now, but it might take some time.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #238 on: July 19, 2017, 02:58:24 pm »

So I am dieing the slow death of those who fort over their entire territory.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 19, 2017, 06:40:08 pm »

Basically. I tried to get Tir Na Og to attack you while you were after me, but they didn't. Possibly bribery would have helped, but alas...

I honestly was actually planning on trying to do the funtime ambush attack jump, but then the Lanka/Lizardfolk/Ermor battle over at my other border ended up looking like I was going to get dragged into it (IE, I got attacked... by what I think was either on accident or trying to bypass another enemy in hindsight, because it wasn't followed up on, but that's in hindsight) and then instead of attacking Marveni I ended up running my armies back and forth not actually doing anything of worth.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26