Poll

Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Yes
- 4 (50%)
No
- 4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 27 - Game Over - Il Palazzo wins  (Read 33862 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 27 - To Glory
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2017, 05:20:32 pm »

I have two water provinces, two 60+ barbarians, and a swamp in my cap circle.  Of the remaining options one is blocked from further expansion by a river and the other leads directly to other nations.  I also have two thrones just outside my cap circle, to complete the minefield of ded expansion parties.
Shoes...

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2017, 05:37:25 pm »

I wouldn't be super opposed to a new map, though I'd probably vote no if it came to it. To be frank though, if you still haven't taken the 6 provinces around your capital by turn 8, then your expansion strategy needs work. A new map may help with some things, but getting beat by independents isn't one of them. :P

Heavy cav, a Throne, and rivers meant I didn't have much of a chance. The fact that I also managed to accidentally take the tile next to someone else's capital within the first few turns also doesn't help.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2017, 01:01:42 am »

I lost my first expansion party to the second indy province it attacked and another routed relatively early on (but with minimal losses), but I've had no serious difficulties with expansion that don't involve my own mistakes and I'm pretty sure my capital is at least 3 provinces away from the closest other player's capital. It does sound like there are some problems with uneven quality and distribution of capital sites.

For what it's worth, I'm in favor of seeing how this plays out, but then I'm not one of the ones who have been negatively impacted.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2017, 01:16:06 am »

I mean thunderdome can be fun but I think at least half of the current players are going to be dead or irrelevant before the game really gets going, and then they're all stuck watching for the next few months until the next game comes up, unless they want to play on /domg/ or something.
Shoes...

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2017, 01:27:26 am »

If we loose half the players, then can't they start, like round 27-Alternative on a smaller map while the survivors keep going on this map? Personally I'm opposed to restarting, but if people would really prefer another map I won't protest.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2017, 01:37:57 am »

Maybe.  We'll see what happens in the next few turns, if it really becomes a shitshow or not.
Shoes...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2017, 02:09:47 am »

We got some power-expanders around right now (Emror and a certain green flag) - I personally just use my little monkey scouts to keep a eye open for army movement.
Last Game I overexpanded massivly early game and it really cost me, so here I'm keeping it small and dangerous.

Also, dips on 162 and 163.

As for the map - lets watch and see for 2-3 more turns (until the first player-player battle really) and then I'll throw up a poll.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:14:13 am by ThtblovesDF »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2017, 03:26:32 am »

How did it hurt you?  Aside from attracting the wrong kind of attention I can't see any drawbacks to expansion, if you're keeping up on your fortress network.

Besides, it's the year of our Lord two thousand seven and ten, does anybody really still fall for the "hey let's all attack the huge guy, i'll be right behind you guys" meme?
Shoes...

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2017, 04:31:32 am »

We got some power-expanders around right now (Emror and a certain green flag) - I personally just use my little monkey scouts to keep a eye open for army movement.

Really, I don't see how you've pegged me as a 'power expander'. (Also, spell Ermor right next time :/)
I would bet good money that if the score graphs were public, you would see multiple people who've captured more territory.
Not doing bad mind you, just more upper middle of the pack than #1 expander of all time. (Now if the Turn 1 Rexor's Barbarians mercenaries I bought did more than die uselessly I would see your point. (Seriously, 40 barbs, outnumbering Wolf Tribe indies... It wasn't a commander snipe. You lot really overhype barb indies I feel...))

Really, you're just seeing the results of my admittedly very successful 1st Expeditionary Force. We don't talk about the 2nd however.
(Honestly, if 'a certain green flag' is who I think it is, this seems more like an attempt to start a dogpile on your neighbors...)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2017, 04:35:39 am »

Besides, it's the year of our Lord two thousand seven and ten, does anybody really still fall for the "hey let's all attack the huge guy, i'll be right behind you guys" meme?

The secret is to lead the charge but on the way mysteriously trip and fall so you end up 'desperately trying to catch up' which just happens to position you behind everyone else
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2017, 04:40:40 am »

Really, I don't see how you've pegged me as a 'power expander'. (Also, spell Ermor right next time :/)
I would bet good money that if the score graphs were public, you would see multiple people who've captured more territory.
Not doing bad mind you, just more upper middle of the pack than #1 expander of all time. (Now if the Turn 1 Rexor's Barbarians mercenaries I bought did more than die uselessly I would see your point. (Seriously, 40 barbs, outnumbering Wolf Tribe indies... It wasn't a commander snipe. You lot really overhype barb indies I feel...))

Really, you're just seeing the results of my admittedly very successful 1st Expeditionary Force. We don't talk about the 2nd however.
(Honestly, if 'a certain green flag' is who I think it is, this seems more like an attempt to start a dogpile on your neighbors...)

Archer-heavy indies are gonna dick on barbs, but my faction doesn't fare as well.  If I'd remembered to go for mercs from the beginning I might've gotten something to take them on, but I forgot.  Whoops.
Shoes...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2017, 05:03:54 am »

My intel network might be limited by the scouts/mapsize ratio, but those two are the biggest-est I can spot - one player seems to have double my provinces, too.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2017, 08:29:40 am »

Personally, if we might restart, I'd prefer we just had the poll right now and decide. Potentially restarting some time in the future takes the fun out of it now. :(

For what it's worth, I'd probably vote no, anyway, but I've been doing pretty well.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2017, 08:35:53 am »

Personally, if we might restart, I'd prefer we just had the poll right now and decide. Potentially restarting some time in the future takes the fun out of it now. :(

For what it's worth, I'd probably vote no, anyway, but I've been doing pretty well.
Agreed. If we're going to restart, I'd like to get it over with sooner rather than later.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2017, 04:44:30 pm »

(I'm guessing we're not voting then?)

Does anyone know how Therodos freespawn mechanics work, precisely? I can't find any formulas on the net, and it's vaguely confusing.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26