Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Against the Gods (IC) (10/8) - Year 3  (Read 6397 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Against the Gods (IC) (10/8) - Year 1
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 03:06:54 pm »

Rincklefich eyes the prince for a moment, he'd know that look anywhere. The Prince was comparing the wine that of his homeland and not liking the answer. In that moment Rincklefich decided he liked the Prince of Guerrand. Perhaps it was the similar history of the countries, or the fact that the young prince was a fine warrior, or the reasoning employed that won his favor. After another moment the high king decided it was probably the wine thing.

The young prince makes many good points. My people would gladly send an embasarry to Guerrand.

Turning his attention the norther-than-northerner. A pale dark haired fellow, the opposite of his tanned skin and blond hair. Seems rather small for the protector of all the good in the world or whatever they believe.

A vault far far away from those who are funding it. Rather unpleasant location to try and transport to and from twice a year. That's a vast distance and very close to the fallen kingdoms. It seems so counter-productive. If distance was the desired factor, Jautonlund would be a far better choice. Acessable via ship, and across land via the world famous Jauton Pass. No stretch of land is better defend than that particular piece of coast. It is known that Jauton warriors are second only to those of Guerrand, but in this matter the location is far superior. Truly, if one desired security and distance from squabbles, Juatonlund would be the idea location for such a vault. Which seems fitting as Jautonlund is unlikely to participate in the bank's activities at this juncture.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2017, 05:00:59 pm »

The Fyrdottr shook her head ruefully. "And here we have the impasse. None are willing to invest, but we're all quite willing to take your money so we can host the institution. I find the idea interesting, but you seem to have little interest from the nations that would best suit it."
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 06:29:31 pm »

Lord Exarch Barson sighed. A menagerie of giants, barbarians, fanatics and profligates, being herded like cats by a Granifi and a Guerrandian, this would be a good start to an anecdote, which were popular form of a joke in Enor, had this not been a diplomatic mission.

"Your excellencies, and you, dear hostess," Lord Barson began, raising his hand to gain attention of others. "This occasion is rare, as anything where so many powers and rising stars come together to shape the world with power of words and not arms. Let us not squander the time here and save petty squabbles for another time." He glanced briefly at the Varxsean Autarch. He then turned to Rosa. "Your proposals, Royal Protector, are sound, prudent and commendable... were we sitting in a guild house and talking about a venture. We must put the good of our own peoples first, providing we can achieve peaceful relations." He stood up from his seat, to take a central position among the speakers. "It must not be denied that Granif is in the center of our little corner of the world and the Republic is open to keeping trade and flow of wealth open to all. We will not however consent to any form of taxation or extra-national authority that will control wealth outside of Republic's oversight.
I do think that open embassies in all nations are a good first step to establish good relations and that Enorian Republic is open to trade its wealth for Granif's benefit in fair exchange.

He looked at the woman, trying to discern her motives. seemingly open and plain in their appearance, there was more than met the eye in them, and herself as well, as marked by the final proposal. A dangerous mix indeed. "Your final proposal of a suitable marriage has not fallen on deaf ears either, and our country has many distinguished lords and men of noble blood that would be willing to apply for your hand, were you to accept closer ties with us." He avoided laying it on too thick, but tried to sound warm and encouraging. He was past his prime so the appeal was not in him, but in the diplomatic potential that having her engage with someone from Enor.

Lord Barson took back his seat and awaited the reaction of the gathered rulers.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 11:48:40 am »

The Royal Protector shrugged. "I suppose the good of all men isn't on the agenda of the world's elite. I guess thats fair enough."

The Grand Duke scowls. "Look at what isolation has brought, Madam Protector! A hundred years of peace! A hundred years of prosperity! Do not presume to lecture me on how to rule my people!" He glowers for a second more before the easygoing, friendly smile returns to his face. "I wear rags because it is wasteful not to. I am the most frugal, miserly, penny-pinching son of a bitch you will ever meet because I am a Sillian, and Sillians do not waste money. I am still open to your ideas because I want you to convince me that your bank wouldn't drain my coffers without a neat return. Show me the profit Madam Protector. Convince me."

"Ah, and there lies the problem. Such a feat has never been accomplished and of course, investors would be a rare lot. I suppose that the rate of return would be quite low for the first few decades and I would assume there would be very little benefit in the short-term. I doubt anything I say in this room could convince you, my dear Duke. "
The Grand Duke scowls. "Look at what isolation has brought, Madam Protector! A hundred years of peace! A hundred years of prosperity! Do not presume to lecture me on how to rule my people!" He glowers for a second more before the easygoing, friendly smile returns to his face. "I wear rags because it is wasteful not to. I am the most frugal, miserly, penny-pinching son of a bitch you will ever meet because I am a Sillian, and Sillians do not waste money. I am still open to your ideas because I want you to convince me that your bank wouldn't drain my coffers without a neat return. Show me the profit Madam Protector. Convince me."
Lord Exarch Barson sighed. A menagerie of giants, barbarians, fanatics and profligates, being herded like cats by a Granifi and a Guerrandian, this would be a good start to an anecdote, which were popular form of a joke in Enor, had this not been a diplomatic mission.

"Your excellencies, and you, dear hostess," Lord Barson began, raising his hand to gain attention of others. "This occasion is rare, as anything where so many powers and rising stars come together to shape the world with power of words and not arms. Let us not squander the time here and save petty squabbles for another time." He glanced briefly at the Varxsean Autarch. He then turned to Rosa. "Your proposals, Royal Protector, are sound, prudent and commendable... were we sitting in a guild house and talking about a venture. We must put the good of our own peoples first, providing we can achieve peaceful relations." He stood up from his seat, to take a central position among the speakers. "It must not be denied that Granif is in the center of our little corner of the world and the Republic is open to keeping trade and flow of wealth open to all. We will not however consent to any form of taxation or extra-national authority that will control wealth outside of Republic's oversight.
I do think that open embassies in all nations are a good first step to establish good relations and that Enorian Republic is open to trade its wealth for Granif's benefit in fair exchange.

He looked at the woman, trying to discern her motives. seemingly open and plain in their appearance, there was more than met the eye in them, and herself as well, as marked by the final proposal. A dangerous mix indeed. "Your final proposal of a suitable marriage has not fallen on deaf ears either, and our country has many distinguished lords and men of noble blood that would be willing to apply for your hand, were you to accept closer ties with us." He avoided laying it on too thick, but tried to sound warm and encouraging. He was past his prime so the appeal was not in him, but in the diplomatic potential that having her engage with someone from Enor.

Lord Barson took back his seat and awaited the reaction of the gathered rulers.

"I believe we'll have much to discuss at a later time."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 01:09:03 pm »

The Royal Protector shrugged. "I suppose the good of all men isn't on the agenda of the world's elite. I guess thats fair enough."

Unfortunately this tax isn't to improve the good and wellbeing of all men, or to even assist those in need. It is not a movement to help the international economy where it is needed most, not to help men and women where it is needed most. This is to improve trade, not to improve lives.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 01:19:09 pm »

"Speaking of the good of all men, royal protector, I have an item to bring to the agenda if you are finished for the moment."
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2017, 02:08:14 pm »

Unfortunately this tax isn't to improve the good and wellbeing of all men, or to even assist those in need. It is not a movement to help the international economy where it is needed most, not to help men and women where it is needed most. This is to improve trade, not to improve lives.

"You speak as if trade doesn't foster better livlihoods for all. Graņif itself was not quite this prosperous until we began our current endeavours, or at least so say the historians."

"Speaking of the good of all men, royal protector, I have an item to bring to the agenda if you are finished for the moment."

"Of course. all may speak as they wish."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2017, 02:28:29 pm »

The Fyrdottr laced her fingers in front of her. It was a delicate matter to bring up, considering how little the softlanders understood of the Curse, and what the Caedwyn did for them. "As some of you know, my people are entrusted to bear and contain the Hate of Almighty God. We do this to prevent the destruction of all the World, and so you may live without knowing such pain and Hate. Yet, Not long ago, I received a Visitation, from a creature that seemed to be an Emissary of the Divine."

Sykka tried to gauge reactions. She expected disbelief, mockery, and perhaps benign tolerance, but she allowed herself the chance to hope for interest. Perhaps the new nations would be better than their forebears.  "This Emissary told me that the time of the Curse was at its end, and that my people were to be given a new purpose. To instead deliver Hate to you all equally, so that all might live in equal joy and equal suffering. It promised my people great things- ascendancy above all others."

"This is not our way. God's hate is infinite.  Spreading it equally would only destroy all equally. The Kriek remain steadfast, and we keep the Curse- for the good of all the World. However, you must all understand the meaning of this. Some power stirs, and it is not a power of weal."

"Something is coming. I do not know what, I do not know when, but there is a dangerous power rising- one that would destroy all you hold dear if it had its way."

Sykka spread her laced hands. "Yet this is a warning only. I have no proof, and I know that few of you understand the ways of my people, none of you truly comprehend the Curse. So if you believe nothing else I say, at least heed this: Be Ready."
---

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2017, 02:34:20 pm »

Rosa held a great deal of scepticism for the beliefs of the north but this encounter seemed somewhat...familiar.

"By any chance...was this Emissary in the shape of a man but somewhat...off? Did he seem to be one of magical power and wearing odd clothes?"
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2017, 02:44:55 pm »

"He seemed as a man, but too beautiful for this world. His mere presence made my pains fade from me, and yes, he seemed of great magical power."
---

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2017, 02:46:56 pm »

The Fyrdottr laced her fingers in front of her. It was a delicate matter to bring up, considering how little the softlanders understood of the Curse, and what the Caedwyn did for them. "As some of you know, my people are entrusted to bear and contain the Hate of Almighty God. We do this to prevent the destruction of all the World, and so you may live without knowing such pain and Hate. Yet, Not long ago, I received a Visitation, from a creature that seemed to be an Emissary of the Divine."

Sykka tried to gauge reactions. She expected disbelief, mockery, and perhaps benign tolerance, but she allowed herself the chance to hope for interest. Perhaps the new nations would be better than their forebears.  "This Emissary told me that the time of the Curse was at its end, and that my people were to be given a new purpose. To instead deliver Hate to you all equally, so that all might live in equal joy and equal suffering. It promised my people great things- ascendancy above all others."

"This is not our way. God's hate is infinite.  Spreading it equally would only destroy all equally. The Kriek remain steadfast, and we keep the Curse- for the good of all the World. However, you must all understand the meaning of this. Some power stirs, and it is not a power of weal."

"Something is coming. I do not know what, I do not know when, but there is a dangerous power rising- one that would destroy all you hold dear if it had its way."

Sykka spread her laced hands. "Yet this is a warning only. I have no proof, and I know that few of you understand the ways of my people, none of you truly comprehend the Curse. So if you believe nothing else I say, at least heed this: Be Ready."

To his credit, the Grand Duke's smile didn't falter at this. He blinked a few times, suddenly caught in a state of amused disbelief. "Really. Well, uh, good job... i guess?"

This development confirmed in the Grand Duke something all Sillians knew in their hearts: that the mainlanders were all completely insane. "Indeed." What else could he say? "That is... really something, Madam Fyrdottr. What, ah, do you suppose we do about it?"
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2017, 02:50:49 pm »

Sykka didn't let consternation enter her voice, it was well known that the ears of islanders were permanently stoppered with sea salt. "As I said, Be Ready. Something is coming. I do not offer you a course of action, as it is not my place to dictate your affairs, I only give a warning that something is to come."
---

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2017, 07:49:40 am »

"Preposterous." Lord Exarch cut in. "Whatever 'god' or 'hate' you believe in, it has nothing to do with our land. No doubt a malevolent spirit tricked you and is playing a joke at your expense."

He looked around the gathered leaders. "I know each land holds onto their own faith, but to have something concern all of us in such manner would mean that what we all individually believe in is wrong - a world-shattering thought to the lesser minds, so I suggest saying nothing of it to anyone beyond this gathering. I won't have panic be spread by rumors, let alone goad spirits that bear ill will towards us."

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2017, 11:44:22 am »

Rincklefich was not so easy to dismiss such spooky omens. The Jautons are not particularly superstitious, or quite religious for that matter, but sharing a border with the southern wilds, it's hard not to see spooks and spirits occasionally. Jautonlund does not take such a warning so lightly. Though you are distant, and your ways are strange, and your skin and hair are wrong, and your practices of self-mutilation are.... Well... Well that's not really the point here. If something scares the people at the wrong end of the world, then Joutonlund will take note.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2017, 01:03:46 am »

Hassa blinked slowly a few times, a look of concern finally crossing her face. Most of the meeting had been a bit blurry: Graņif wanted to help the world or somesuch, one or two others wanted in, most of the rest were appalled by the idea. Pretty standard ruler stuff.

This, though... the far northerners were insane, but they weren't really given to flights of fancy like this. Imagining a supernaturally beautiful man had appeared in your bedchambers and claimed your sorrows were over sounded distinctly like Aquran mythology, such as it was. If an ice devil was sounding like an Aquran, something had probably gone desperately wrong somewhere.

"How'd he get in and out?" she finally ventured. Entries and exits were one of the trickier subjects for mystery guests, divine or otherwise.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6