Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Against the Gods (IC) (10/8) - Year 3  (Read 6396 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Against the Gods (IC) (10/8) - Year 1
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 09:20:48 pm »

One of the Assassins was next to speak. "If anybody wants to hire out an assassin contract, you may speak with us in private. As a less violent alternative, we can discuss the trade of weapons. Lately the contracts have been slowing down and our leader is considering an alternative source of income. I have nothing else to say for the moment."
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 11:00:04 pm »

The Grand Duke spoke next, leathery face wrinkling up in a smile. "I will wait to hear what the rest of you have to say before giving my piece."
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 05:40:26 am »

The Royal Protector mentally sighed. She supposed she would have to take the lead.

"Very well then, it seems I shall begin."

"First of all, my dear autarch, it seems we have a problem. Your tax collectors have overstepped themselves and are troubling my people along our shared border. Violently, I might add. I would hope you would be able to put a stop to this?"

"As for other matters, I believe that prosperity is something all nations of the world should enjoy. To this end, I suggest a common investment fund. An...International Prosperity Bank, if you could call it that. All member nations would devote 5% of gross income every year to the Bank, which would be used to fund the development of the international economy where it is needed the most. Of course, such an institution would be staffed by the most skilled amongst all nations."

"Secondly, I would like to discuss the creation of permanent embassies, something I believe is most useful in these times. My nation is always open to foreigners but it is sometimes difficult conduct matters when their governments are so far away. As such, I would request that each nation here open permanent delegations in Graņif and if desired, with every other nation."

"Thirdly, Graņif is in need of luxury goods and other sources of merriment. Ignoring the current celebrations, the life of the average Graņifi is quite drab. I would be willing to hack out a trade deal with any nation that could help...inspire morale amongst my people."

"Fourthly, and this is more a personal interest, I require the service of learnt men and of literature. This would be most pleasing to me."

"Fifthly, you 'Assassins', I do not require your services directly but if I may suggest...I would like to open a proper trade house in your city, to facilitate trade in the region. Is this acceptable?"

"Sixthly, and most unfortunately, I require a new...consort. It has been a year since my...husband passed away and my advisors are beginning to fret over it. I may as well use this situation of mine to the nation's advantage and so I ask if any amongst you have relatives or otherwise interested in an old widow like me."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 08:07:10 am »

"I have no intention of stopping the tax collectors from doing their work. Try stopping us, and we will raise tariffs on Graņifi merchants, if not banning them outright. More to the point we have territorial ambitions in that direction. Varxsea requires a port to the open seas and will not be denied this goal, though whether it happens by force or diplomacy is up to you.

As for embassies, we will establish them as we see fit on an individual basis."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 09:29:20 am »

"The north is not as rich with silver as these Southlands, Royal Protector. We have little that we can invest in a bank, for the moment. However, I would be willing to host such an institution on my soil, as a neutral party that is..." The Fyrdottr glanced at the Autarch, her expression flat, "... difficult to raid might be beneficial for such an institution."

"It also pains me to hear of the unhappiness of your people. I will inform my priests of the joy we have managed to secure for you already, but order them to be vigilant in their flailings and sacrifices in order to continue to safeguard the happiness of your people. In addition, my lands produce both dyes and spices that may bring joy to some members of your populace. Our peoples always welcome trade."

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:51:04 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 09:48:34 am »

Anbis's smile quickly fades as he hears the proposals. "Madam Protector, there are many things I find distasteful about your ideas. A system such as your world bank only works if members possess near-equal economies, or else the rich will be forced to endlessly throw money at the poor. I can see no positive outcome for the economy of Sills Atoll, the world's strongest economy, in this situation. In addition, Sills Atoll has forever been in control of how it deals with other nations. I will not construct embassies until I deem it necessary to do so. In addition, I cannot help but find it suspicious that you would make Granif the home of world politics.

Convince me why it is profitable for Sills Atoll to join your bank or construct your embassies."
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 10:52:23 am »

*Hrmmph* The Joutons are unlikely to agree to such a proposal as this international bank without good reason to do so. Jautonlund has always remained rather self-sufficient, and I personally believe that this "fund" will just empty Jouton coffers for projects in the north. It is on this issue that I agree with my neighbor Anbis of Sill's Atoll, I am not immune to reason, but will not give the funds of my people in it's absence.

On the issue of the embassy, Jautonlund would be willing to send a delegation to any nation which requests it. However, at this time it will not host a permanent embassy on its soil. There is no particular need for it, and the people would suspect meddlement in internal affairs. Generally it's not worth the bother.

Moving to the third and fourth issue, Joutonlund has been a longstanding trading nation, although most of our goods go directly to Sill's Atoll. Which is generally a very convenient situation for all involbed. However, I'm sure if Graņif could make a worthwhile offer, something could be arranged.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 10:59:58 am »

"Fifthly, you 'Assassins', I do not require your services directly but if I may suggest...I would like to open a proper trade house in your city, to facilitate trade in the region. Is this acceptable?"
"Sixthly, and most unfortunately, I require a new...consort. It has been a year since my...husband passed away and my advisors are beginning to fret over it. I may as well use this situation of mine to the nation's advantage and so I ask if any amongst you have relatives or otherwise interested in an old widow like me."

The Assassins converse with each other via odd movements of their hands. Sign language. After some deliberation...

"A trading house in our city may be acceptable, but some restrictions would likely apply in order to maintain our city's operational security. It may even be preferable to have it be slightly outside the city limits. We can discuss that later in private. Secondly... there may be some Assassins interested in wedding you, but you would need to undergo the necessary training to become an Assassin yourself, and we don't think you would like to do that."
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 11:21:48 am »

"I have no intention of stopping the tax collectors from doing their work. Try stopping us, and we will raise tariffs on Graņifi merchants, if not banning them outright. More to the point we have territorial ambitions in that direction. Varxsea requires a port to the open seas and will not be denied this goal, though whether it happens by force or diplomacy is up to you.

As for embassies, we will establish them as we see fit on an individual basis."

Rosa nodded. "I see."
"The north is not as rich with silver as these Southlands, Royal Protector. We have little that we can invest in a bank, for the moment. However, I would be willing to host such an institution on my soil, as a neutral party that is..." The Fyrdottr glanced at the Autarch, her expression flat, "... difficult to raid might be beneficial for such an institution."

"It also pains me to hear of the unhappiness of your people. I will inform my priests of the joy we have managed to secure for you already, but order them to be vigilant in their flailings and sacrifices in order to continue to safeguard the happiness of your people. In addition, my lands produce both dyes and spices that may bring joy to some members of your populace. Our peoples always welcome trade."

"While it is sad to hear of your nation's lack of currency, it is always possible to use your country's produce in lieu of silver. That said your nation's lack of wealth is exactly what I would like to rectify. If this bank cannot function,  I would suggest another method. I could have learnt men sent to your nation to help in developing it in exchange for your famed spices and dyes."

Anbis's smile quickly fades as he hears the proposals. "Madam Protector, there are many things I find distasteful about your ideas. A system such as your world bank only works if members possess near-equal economies, or else the rich will be forced to endlessly throw money at the poor. I can see no positive outcome for the economy of Sills Atoll, the world's strongest economy, in this situation. In addition, Sills Atoll has forever been in control of how it deals with other nations. I will not construct embassies until I deem it necessary to do so. In addition, I cannot help but find it suspicious that you would make Granif the home of world politics.

Convince me why it is profitable for Sills Atoll to join your bank or construct your embassies."

*Hrmmph* The Joutons are unlikely to agree to such a proposal as this international bank without good reason to do so. Jautonlund has always remained rather self-sufficient, and I personally believe that this "fund" will just empty Jouton coffers for projects in the north. It is on this issue that I agree with my neighbor Anbis of Sill's Atoll, I am not immune to reason, but will not give the funds of my people in it's absence.

On the issue of the embassy, Jautonlund would be willing to send a delegation to any nation which requests it. However, at this time it will not host a permanent embassy on its soil. There is no particular need for it, and the people would suspect meddlement in internal affairs. Generally it's not worth the bother.

Moving to the third and fourth issue, Joutonlund has been a longstanding trading nation, although most of our goods go directly to Sill's Atoll. Which is generally a very convenient situation for all involbed. However, I'm sure if Graņif could make a worthwhile offer, something could be arranged.

"Your isolationist tendencies will only hamper both of your nations in the long run. The general increase of wealth amongst the less wealthy ensure that there are always customers for our merchants...as well as other advantages that require some critical thinking. But I suppose that you'd both lose your thrones if you acted in a way that seems contradictory to both your peoples.
 Very well, I can respect that."

The Assassins converse with each other via odd movements of their hands. Sign language. After some deliberation...

"A trading house in our city may be acceptable, but some restrictions would likely apply in order to maintain our city's operational security. It may even be preferable to have it be slightly outside the city limits. We can discuss that later in private. Secondly... there may be some Assassins interested in wedding you, but you would need to undergo the necessary training to become an Assassin yourself, and we don't think you would like to do that."

"The conditions on the trade post would be acceptable; we will discuss this more later."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 11:55:00 am »

"While it is sad to hear of your nation's lack of currency, it is always possible to use your country's produce in lieu of silver. That said your nation's lack of wealth is exactly what I would like to rectify. If this bank cannot function,  I would suggest another method. I could have learnt men sent to your nation to help in developing it in exchange for your famed spices and dyes."

Sykka smiled a bit ruefully. "Royal Protector, have you thought of this manner fully? I have seen your farms, and the northern soil would laugh if you tried them here. The cultivation of the cold marsh, of the rock and stone of the central lands, and of the eastern mountains, that is an endeavor I think that would befuddle your learned men quite greatly." The Fyrdottr inclined her head, a small bow to the host. "I do not wish to give offense, but I would need to see clear results before I accepted such an exchange in lieu of material payment." Sykka was fully aware that most others would see her people as savages, despite the fact that her kind predated theirs. A pinprick of pride to spice the pain.

"As to your proposal for an embassy... I am willing to begin such an endeavor. If you will help us with the expense of the building, I will provide with access to some of the elder blood scriveners. They are wise men, and know much- though you will still be forbidden access to the old archives. "

The old archives were a rather special part of the scrivener's library, containing scrolls pertaining to what fragments were known of history before the Fallen Kingdom became the Fallen Kingdom. Only the Scriveners were allowed there.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 12:28:24 pm »

"Though I Doubt mine people would have isssue with an embasssy being consstructed in mine homeland, we would not have the Material wealth for it, nor anywhere besides our capital to leave it, unlesss what ever diplomat sstayss there doth not mind staying in a tent and moving every few weekss...  On the matter of you marrying one of mine relativess, I do believe I have a few grandsonss and daughterss who would be happy to leave to ssee the world as I did in mine youth, perhaps one of them would be a posssibility?"
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 01:14:07 pm »

Sykka smiled a bit ruefully. "Royal Protector, have you thought of this manner fully? I have seen your farms, and the northern soil would laugh if you tried them here. The cultivation of the cold marsh, of the rock and stone of the central lands, and of the eastern mountains, that is an endeavor I think that would befuddle your learned men quite greatly." The Fyrdottr inclined her head, a small bow to the host. "I do not wish to give offense, but I would need to see clear results before I accepted such an exchange in lieu of material payment." Sykka was fully aware that most others would see her people as savages, despite the fact that her kind predated theirs. A pinprick of pride to spice the pain.

"As to your proposal for an embassy... I am willing to begin such an endeavor. If you will help us with the expense of the building, I will provide with access to some of the elder blood scriveners. They are wise men, and know much- though you will still be forbidden access to the old archives. "

The old archives were a rather special part of the scrivener's library, containing scrolls pertaining to what fragments were known of history before the Fallen Kingdom became the Fallen Kingdom. Only the Scriveners were allowed there.

((I maaaay have used the wrong word there))

"Farms? I do not believe I mentioned farms...but now that you mention it, it would be quite the problem to solve...an interesting one to be sure. But no, when I mean development, I mean improved infrastructure and the construction of places of learning. Of course, no payments would be made until I perform my side of the bargain."
"Though I Doubt mine people would have isssue with an embasssy being consstructed in mine homeland, we would not have the Material wealth for it, nor anywhere besides our capital to leave it, unlesss what ever diplomat sstayss there doth not mind staying in a tent and moving every few weekss...  On the matter of you marrying one of mine relativess, I do believe I have a few grandsonss and daughterss who would be happy to leave to ssee the world as I did in mine youth, perhaps one of them would be a posssibility?"

"Perhaps you ought send some suitors along my way in the future then. As for the problem of this embassy, well I suppose a lack of an edifice is no barrier to better relations."
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 01:56:45 pm »

The Prince of Guerrand had listened to the back-and-forth in silence. Some of his companions showed signs of agitation at the words of the Varxseans, but their Prince was not given to such petty lapses of control. The fire-breathing skull mask followed the speakers impassively.

Now, at last, he stood up. The prince rose with a swordsman's fluid grace and bowed his head to his fellow rulers, first and foremost to their host.

'Royal Protector. Your proposals are commendable, but I cannot put much faith in peace and cooperation without guarantees stronger than mere words. It is painfully apparent our Varxsean neighbors have no intention of respecting our borders or claims: our shared losses to that swollen realm should be proof enough of that. I share the others' concerns over your proposed... 'bank', was it? Who would determine the use of these funds? Where would such a treasure be stored? I could not in good conscience divert funds from the defense of my lands to such an... untested institution, in any case. Guerrand can, of course, provide men to guard your endeavour, for the right price.'

A slight smile showed just beneath the edge of the mask. 'I, too, seek a consort. We should discuss this further in private, perhaps,' he said. 'I would welcome any alliance between Guerrand and Graņif. As a token of my earnestness, I'd be happy to provide men to guarantee the safety and inviolability of your borders - to ensure only the authority of Graņif is recognized and that there is no, ah, overstepping.'

He sat back down, sipping wine. A slightly treasonous thought about the superiority of this Graņifi vintage to Guerrand wines crossed his mind, quickly banished. 'Guerrand welcomes the embassies of friendly nations, of course. I have no objection there.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ĄNo parmesan!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 02:15:17 pm »

The Grand Duke scowls. "Look at what isolation has brought, Madam Protector! A hundred years of peace! A hundred years of prosperity! Do not presume to lecture me on how to rule my people!" He glowers for a second more before the easygoing, friendly smile returns to his face. "I wear rags because it is wasteful not to. I am the most frugal, miserly, penny-pinching son of a bitch you will ever meet because I am a Sillian, and Sillians do not waste money. I am still open to your ideas because I want you to convince me that your bank wouldn't drain my coffers without a neat return. Show me the profit Madam Protector. Convince me."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 02:22:00 pm »

"Prince Montmare, I bear no ill will to you, but I do not believe it fitting for you to guard this Bank- nor do I believe it particularly fitting for any nation of the Softl- Southlands to hold so much wealth of the others. I would volunteer my own nation, far from, and unconcerned with, your quarrels, but again I fear that would only invite paranoia for some." Again, Sykka gave the Autarch a flat look.

"Royal Protector, if the Caedwyn were to agree not to take part in the bank, or in the apportionment of money there from, would you agree to allowing us to host its defense upon our soil? Thus, no nation would be concerned with the 'north' dragging away from their development, and none could claim the defenders of having bias. We wish to protect all of you, and I think there is a coming need for unity."

"A small operating fee would be required, but little more than needed to ensure the adequate defense of the vault itself."
---
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6