Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: (SG) Sawbones: Adventures of a High Fantasy Surgeon Mage  (Read 5559 times)

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Sawbones: Adventures of a High Fantasy Surgeon Mage
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 07:49:57 am »

Prepare for war. Learn how to bonesmith and enchant. Gather information and transfer tumors. Tutor Hor-shell. That sorta thing. 
+1
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2017, 03:19:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Inventory:
Magic Talents:

War is coming, and you intend to play a part in it. Some say that a Surgeon Mage is more valuable to an army than a War Mage, and you have every intention of proving that adage right.

Your preparations begin down in the livestock cells, where you endow captured slavers with transplanted and enhanced tumors. While you work, you question the captives, something the ogres never thought to do, and learn a bit about Cyrus' army.

Cyrus controls about 6000 men, organized into smaller guard-forces across his territory and raider bands who operate in and around his range. Most of Cyrus' soldiers have decent weapons, but are lightly armored and possess little to no combat training. Such men, you conclude, will likely prove little or no threat to an armored ogre, so unless Toogool tries to bite off more than he can chew in one sitting, you have no doubt his colony can operate safely behind enemy lines.

The biggest problem will be dealing with Cyrus himself, who is typically held up at his headquarters, a fortified structure that his men have taken to calling Castle Despair. Inside Castle despair is a guard force of about two hundred armored pikemen, and about half that many elite centaur soldiers who can serve as archers and heavy calvary. Even if the walls could be compromised, such a defense force may prove a match for Toogool's colony.

Cyrus himself is a heretic mage, one who practices your arts and wears a robe without having earned the right to do so at an academy. None of the low-ranking soldiers in the prison know exactly what sort of magic he is capable of, but most agree that he owns a greatsword that can burst into flames on command.

Cyrus also has two noteworthy officers at his beck and call. The first answers to Highmage Tygone, wears red and grey robes, and wields magic of flame and wisdom. Based on this description, and the fact that the Tygones are an old family with deep ties to the military of Fenwick, it is safe to assume this lieutenant is a graduate of Lord Burter's Academy, a school that exclusively trains warmages for the Fenwick army. This means that Highmage Tygone is either a deserter, or that the government of your homeland is somehow backing Cyrus.

The second lieutenant is more mysterious; A shapeshifter who answers to the name of 'Nightshade' and typically takes the form of a female elf. She serves as Cyrus' chief spymaster and slavebroker, and according to one of the captured prisoners is also envoy to the smaller Centuar Herds who pay Cyrus tribute in exchange for protection from the larger Blackhoof Herd. Another prisoner claims that she speaks with an accent very similar to yours, which to you indicates that she might be a powerful pond nymph from the lakes region of Lower Fenwick where you grew up.

In exchange for your help with the prisoners, their jailer offers you free pick of the gear they were captured with. You wind up claiming a full suit of leather armor, a pack of powerful sedative called Slaver's Sand that can be snorted or mixed into drinks, a jar of kracken toxin, and a set of lockpicks.

---

Every day you provide memories to both the smith and the enchantress, and spend the working hours toiling alongside one of them.

Your time with the enchantress largely proves a waste when it comes to learning anything new. The old ogress doesn't speak your language, and lacks the patience to try and teach you through a translator. Still, she is friendly enough, and more than willing to pay for your help by enhancing your gear:

She makes your new leather armor both weightless and flame resistant. Five of the final bolts you make with the smith are enchanted to explode on impact, and the remaining five are enchanted to instantly load into your crossbow with a verbal command. It is your Brute Sword, however, that receives the most love from the enchantress; It is made particularly deadly towards your fellow humans, and particularly effective at disarming, parrying, and destroying pole-arm weapons. Hor-Shell suggests that such a well made and heavily enchanted weapon should have a name...

Things go better with the Smith. You spend one final day making bolts (you manage to produce 10 all by yourself), before the Smith moves you to furnace duty. You are taught which bones and which pieces of scrap metal go together to make bonemetal with particular qualities, and after a few days of practice you functionally become the sole furnace operator, allowing the Smith and his assistants to work exclusively on weapon production.

Everybody is busy making large batches of ogre sized gear, but the Smith still finds time to reward you with a well made mail shirt of bonemetal.

---

Your apprentice Hor-Shell stays by your side at most times. You wind up learning more about ogres from him than he learns about mage-lore from you, but you do your best to teach him when you have the time. Eventually you take to calling him by the more human sounding name 'Hershel', in hopes that it will make him fit in better when he dose eventually make it to an academy...

"Yes Hershel... Humans are prudes. We don't like others seeing our mating bits, and us females even prefer to keep our breasts covered, but a mage's robes are more than just a mere skin covering. They are a badge of office and so much more. Each academy has their own colors, patterns, and traditions for robes. Mine are mostly gray, as I just graduated shortly before coming to these lands, but with time and surgeries they will be stained and dyed with the blood of those that I save and fail to save. When I die, the robes will be sent back to Lower Fenwick and washed by the archmages of the academy, symbolically demonstraiting my life's work to the student body and the Bloodmother alike, so that I may be considered among the honored dead.

A robe means you are a part of both the greater fraternity of mages, and the more specific family of your academy. They can mark other families and experiences as well... I wear a patch depicting a Greataxe, the symbol of the Masters Bloodline, my family. I don't wear the patch because my own name is Masters, but because a member of that family, my brother Clancy, instructed me, as I now instruct you, before I was accepted into the academy. Because you are my apprentice, someday you will wear the Greataxe patch as well."

---

It takes two full weeks, but eventually Wor-Rippa goes into labor. The massive ogre warrior gives birth without issue to a healthy pair of female twins, one of which is named after you: Wor-Shay.

+Prideful Memory x2

That evening you lay in bed and struggle to sleep. Although the past two weeks have been fruitful, you have fallen into a routine, and as such have not been making new memories as fast as you have been giving them away to the enchantress and the Smith. The only memories you have energy left in are the ones you got from attending to Wor-Rippa today, and your concern for your brother's safety, which you are somewhat reluctant to give away.

Giving up on either the smith or the enchantress would allow to keep a routine and likely break even with memories. Somehow convincing the enchantress to actually teach you would likely change things up enough to keep you going at your current pace for a few more weeks. You could also take a few days off, and do something to amass new memories.

Toogool intends to send delegates to the Blackhoof Herd in the next few days, in hopes that the Centaurs might join with him in attacking Cyrus, and you see no reason why you couldn't tag along on that adventure... You doubt the horse people would try anything fishy while you are flanked by friendly ogres.

Por-Ung, one of the ogre children who you might claim to serve Toogool's life debt to you, has been offering to take you out into the woods for a few days of hunting and fishing, which you suppose could be both fun and educational.

Colony scouts have found one of Cyrus' raiding camps two days away from the Treasure Caves, and Wor-Rippa, eager to get back in the action, has called dibs on leading an attack against it. Now that she has given birth, you doubt the gung-ho ogress will actually wait long enough to properly recover, and suspect she might even drag her infants along... so perhaps you should tag along, offer your services as a field medic, and keep an eye on her safety. With your new and newly enchanted gear, the thought of actually getting involved in the skirmish yourself is also tempting.

How do you proceed?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 03:44:18 pm »

Name our weapon Shuhadaku -- the Sumerian word for "sword". More specifically, "supreme, strong, bright weapon".

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 05:09:46 pm »

Name our weapon Shuhadaku -- the Sumerian word for "sword". More specifically, "supreme, strong, bright weapon".
+1

Try again to get the Enchantress to teach us. Also take a few days off to go with the delegates going to the Blackhoof herd.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 05:41:38 pm »

Try again to get the Enchantress to teach us. Also take a few days off to go with the delegates going to the Blackhoof herd.

+1. Have Hershel translate as part of his training. If we get Hershel in addition to another ogre, have Por-Ung take the life debt. He's smaller and will be very useful when we need to vernture in the wilderness. Also name our weapon "Bonesaw" in ogrish. It's only fitting to have a fine ogrish name for such a fine ogrish weapon.

Lastly, read Dunn's spell book. Consult Toogool on Dunn's magic to see if he can help you understand what you're dealing with.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 06:20:15 pm »

Also name our weapon "Bonesaw" in ogrish. It's only fitting to have a fine ogrish name for such a fine ogrish weapon.

I'm just going to throw it out there that the serrated side of a Brute-Blade is the closest thing to an ogrish bonesaw.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 06:27:21 pm »

Also name our weapon "Bonesaw" in ogrish. It's only fitting to have a fine ogrish name for such a fine ogrish weapon.

I'm just going to throw it out there that the serrated side of a Brute-Blade is the closest thing to an ogrish bonesaw.

I really meant the words bone and saw separately, not the word they would use to refer to a medical bonesaw.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 06:50:55 pm »

The Blackhoof centaurs are supposed to be "the de facto rulers" around here, making a good living off protecting people from Cyrus' raiders. If we start hitting the raiding camps, though, the centaurs might actually lose money, because there'd be less danger, and therefore less people needing protection. They protect people and fight Cyrus' raiders and slavers, fine, but they've got a bottom line, and they're likely to view the ogres as competitors, which can be a problem. Even moreso when you consider that the ogres "raided the humans of Terminal Woods" before Cyrus cut Toogool's colony off, and the centaurs are the "protectors of humanity" in these parts. So I'm not sure we can expect a lot of help from the Blackhooves, but probably no outright hostility just yet, either.

I suggest we go with the delegates. Our help might be valuable as a mediator to speak on behalf of the ogres. The confirmed presence of a Mage in the ogres' midst is something they can take back to their leaders, proving that Toogool's getting quite serious. Suggest to Toogool that his delegates bring, or you be allowed to bring terms of a treaty with the Blackhoof Centaurs, where the ogres agree not to go after the humans that are under their protection for at least some years, and in exchange the centaurs will provide aid in the form of intelligence, scouts, and coordinated attacks against Cyrus' camps. This works in their favor because the help of ogre frontline infantry will let them sweep out some of the larger threats near the roads, perhaps even allowing resettlement of previously abandoned areas, which means more money and jobs for the centaurs to guard the settlers and increased trade flow. And it works in the ogres' favor because they can then gain access to areas they previously could not, and gain a little bit more presence and prestige and more safely hunt, forage, and trade to get ready for winter.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2017, 04:37:01 pm »

Inventory:
Magic Talents:

You wind up naming your Brute-Blade Shuhadaku, a fancy and eloborate word for 'Sword' from the ancient tongue of the followers of the Progenitor Gilgamesh. Part of you is afraid that your enemies and admirers might mispronounce the weapon's name when telling tales of your great deeds, but you refuse to coddle the minds of the uneducated.

---

Using Hershel as a translator, you talk to the enchantress and attempt to convince her to start giving you lessons. She is reluctant, stating that she needs to focus on completing her enchantments so that the colony might be ready for war, and fears that working with a student, especially one who doesn't even speak her language, will slow her down. If you are interested in learning, however, she has no intention to keep you from knowledge, and would gladly tutor you after work hours a few times a week. She is skeptical, however, as to weather or not these lessons will do you any good, as proper Ogrish enchantment is something that takes years to even learn the basics of.

Keeping the Enchantresses offer in mind, you arrange a meeting with Toogool to discuss the centaur situation. "I'm not sure the Blackhoof Herd will want to help us defeat Cyrus. Right now they are fat and happy because the other humans fear the slavers. The don't want the villages nearby to lose their dependence on Centaur guards..."

Toogool nods. "You are a clever mage. I was just thinking that myself. Not going to tell Centaurs we actually going to defeat Cyrus. Going to lie and say we just want to raid his lands. Perhaps drive slavers out of a few villages so that Blackhooves can move in. Once fighting starts and we start winning, we get overzealous, and goad the Centaur troops into doing same."

You grin. Perhaps these brutes are not as dumb as people make them out to be. "We think the same then, Toogool. Perhaps I should take a break from the forge and enchantress and tag along with the delegation. What do you think about that?"

The massive ogre laughs. "I think that is just fine. You can help bargain. Toogool's Ogres will keep Centaurs from raping human female, and clever mage will keep centaurs from ripping off Toogool's Ogres in deal. You like?"

"Yeah. I like alot."

---

As there is not much for them to do without a mage to fuel their furnace, aside from work inferior silver and copper ores, the Delegation to the Centaurs is lead by the colony smith, Dun-Lo, and his three juvenile assistants. Two large armored ogres serve as guards; Shork, the eldest son of Toogool watches over the party with his great-maul and set of razor-sharp enchanted bonemetal false teeth, while Gnar, father of Wor-Rippa's twin girls, wields a pair of 'Ogreish Daggers' the size of long swords, and a quiver of 'Ogreish Javalins' which are essentially spears. Also along for the trip is a single rhino-sized shaggy green Trollpig to haul both the delegates possessions and gifts for the Centaurs.

You and Hershel walk in the middle of this strange and giant procession, flanked by beefy walls of adult ogre on all sides. After almost two days of travel you make it to the Blackhoof Settlement of Dashing Winds, a large grassy valley dotted with tents, pens, and wooden structures. A pair of centaur guards intercept your group, and after some back and forth, your party is allowed access to the town. A meeting with herd leadership is scheduled for tomorrow night, meaning you have a day and a half to explore.

Gnar, who has been assigned to be your personal bodyguard while in Centaur territory, offers some suggestions as to what you might do in town. Dashing Winds is famous for its taverns, and Gnar has been to most of them. The Leaping Hare is where the wealthy and powerful members of the herd gather at night, while common centaurs gather for cheaper drinks at Unbridled Passion. The town's human population frequents a joint called Shuffler's Club, and strange fey beings gather at the Blackbeetle Tavern.

Town center is home to a livestock auction twice a day, at noon and sundown, while just north of the auction house is the racing grounds where people go to gamble on centaur races, horse races, and jousting matches featuring both centaurs and horse riders.

Gnar warns against the town market, advising that all the merchants there overcharge, but you get the feeling that sellers wouldn't attempt to exploit a mage in the same way they would exploit a big dumb ogre. When pressed, Gnar confesses that some interesting people and goods can be found there, oftentimes even mages from the Fey-run academies further to the east, including those from the school Dunn attended.

Lastly Gnar suggests visiting the home of Purist Shatteredankle, the ambassador from the Bone Dwarves of Sno-Skull to the Blackhoof Centaurs. The Bone Dwarves, Gnar explains, are friends and trade partners to the colony, and ambassador Shatteredankle is an expert on wild magic, who may be able to explain why Smut-Luck's attempt to read the fate of your brother went so long.

How do you proceed?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2017, 11:09:27 pm »

Go to the market and see if you can find anything of interest, if not, check out the auction and races. Should be fairly interesting and entertaining. Then meet with Purist Shatteredankle and get a drink at Blackbeetle tavern.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2017, 11:23:08 pm »

Go to the market and see if you can find anything of interest, if not, check out the auction and races. Should be fairly interesting and entertaining. Then meet with Purist Shatteredankle and get a drink at Blackbeetle tavern.
+1

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2017, 02:31:52 am »

Inventory:
Magic Talents:

Dragging your guard Gnar and apprentice Hershel along, you check out the market place and wind up having quite your share of adventures.

The first stand that catches your eye belongs to an ancient looking one-eyed female centaur who happens to be selling large bugs from deeper in the wildlands as pets. When you approach, she introduces herself as Whinniefly and attempts to sell you a wintry white cat sized insect with razor sharp forelimbs called a snow mantis. "Its really quite tame. Raised it from a nymph myself. Will live about four years, and is smart enough to teach tricks. This one already knows how to come when called. I'll give you a special price... It can be yours for one chip of memory energy, mage."

Not wanting to rush into anything, you confirm that Whinniefly will still be around tomorrow, and promise to consider her offer.

The next stall that attracts your attention is manned by strapping young centaur whose equine body has the colors and pattern of a Zebra rather than that of a common horse. Curious, you introduce yourself and ask about the coloration.

"Oh, that? My father was from o' herd far, faaaaaaaaar ta the south lassie. They all look like that down thar. O' so I'm told. Never been meself. What about you? I can understand why a pretty thing like you would want ogres to guard her 'round my ilk, but how ya convinced them ta do that has gotta be one hell of a tale... Wait... those mage's robes ya wearing?"

"Notice my beauty and my robes? Well at least you have a sharp eye," you can't help but respond. You wind up talking with the striped centaur, whom you learn is actually named 'Stripe', for the better part of an hour. He is actually selling crossbows and bolts, but when he sees your own ranged weapon, he promptly gives up on trying to make a customer of you.

"Damn lassie, thats a Fenwick Army standard crossbow ya got there... And here I was thinking my merchandise was fine! Ya can't get crossers like that on this side o' the pond... Well that used ta be the case anyway. Nowadays ol' Cyrus the slaver has ties to Fenwick... bastard imports crossbows from 'cross the sea to give ta the lowlife Centaurs who demean th' breed by serving 'im."

As the conversation draws on, Stripe becomes more flirtatious, but at no point does he begin to come across as threatening. Before you can move along, he gives you a bolt holding pouch made from the fur and skin of a raccoon he shot and killed himself as a gift, free of charge.

+Flattering Memory x2

The final stall in the market that catches your eye this afternoon is staffed by three humanoid foxes; Members of a rare fey race known as the Kitsune. One of the trio wears a set of stone gray mage's robes, studded with brilliant white decorative gems. This foxy mage introduces himself Disego, graduate of Underskull Stonemage Academy (a local institution you have never heard of), and father of the other two Kitsune in the booth.

Disego and his family are wandering cartographers and treasure hunters. The mage and his son sell maps of the Wildlands, Kingdom of Terminal Woods, and the northern wastes. Their maps are hand painted onto parchment, and as such not cheap; To buy with memories you would need three chips for a map of a single region, or seven for a map featuring all three.

Disego's daughter Fennik practices some sort of divination, and can produce maps leading to hidden treasures she has never seen before in her life if provided memories. For eight memories she will locate a treasure and paint instructions and visual clues to find it on parchment. No guarantees are made about the value or ease of retrieval for any treasure Fennik detects, but Disego notes that few people who actually locate the treasure they have purchased instructions to return to complain.

The foxes confirm that they will be around tomorrow, so you leave promising to consider their services. Both the ogres with you discourge buying a treasure map. Gnar thinks that the Kitsune, being a race of known trickersters, will just rip you off. Hershel, on the other hand, is merely worried about you dabbling in divination of any sort after what happened last time.

+Discovery Memory x3

Purist Shatteredankle had apparently already received word of the ogre delegation and their human mage, and is quick to grant you an audience over dinner. The ambassador and his wife are quite different from the dwarves you have back in Fenwick; Their skin is pale and their bodies so lean that their ribcages as visible, which is confusing as they seem to eat and drink as well as any dwarf you know back home.

You only know Bone Dwarves from the legends, and until the ogres of The Treasure Caves told you otherwise, you had assumed them extinct. Like Ogres they worship Horgole the Bonefather, and were said to be the guards of their deities' alpine fortress at Skull Mountain.

When you tell your story and ask about wild magic, Purist pauses to collect his thoughts. "I hope for the sake of my people that your story is false. Boiling Blood is a hallmark application of Wild Magic when it is wielded by Bone Dwarves, and we do actually guard one of the Bonefather's last remaining magic wells at Sno-Skull. If somebody was attacking you or modifying your fate, I would bet my life your assailant is somebody with access to the well... but no Bone Dwarf has had the will or wisdom to tap into wild magic for generations..."

+Discovery Memory x3

The rest of the evening is a blur. You vaguely remember discussing with Purist the possibility of receiving Bone Dwaf aid against Cyrus, and latter dancing with a treent twice your size at a bar. Judging by the splinter in your lip, you might have been kissing the tree-person as well.

Hershel explains that you started getting very loopy about an hour into your time at Blackbeetle Tavern, and that it was assumed by both Gnar and your dance partner that somebody, likely the Centaur filling in for the usual pixie barkeep, had put something in your drink. Hershel himself dragged you to the town's human establishment, The Shuffler's Club, and got you a room for the night, while Gnar stayed behind, likely to beat the ever loving crap out of the barkeep for drugging you.

You drift back to sleep, and when you wake up again, it is morning, and Gnar has returned to your side with an interesting report. "Blackhoof scouting party came into town last night with a few injured. I think I saw Centaur holy man go into hospital tent, so one of them dying or dead. Don't know what they were up to that got them killed. May need surgeon, no?"

There is no guarentee that the Blackhoof Herd would even allow a stranger to cut up their soldiers, and you had been planning on using the day to explore town some more before the big meeting at sunset, but you suppose you can think of worse ways to spend the day than holding the lives of asshole horse folk in your hands.

How do you proceed?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2017, 09:56:45 am »

We Might as well make the offer, Who knows they might just be willing to let us cut 'em open and Fix what we can... and a Little bit of gratitude for saving someone's friends never hurt anyone too severely.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2017, 10:33:41 am »

TREASURE MAP!!! Ahem. Offer aid to the centaurs, then see how much time we have left before the meeting. Then buy the bug afterwards. After that, if we have both sufficient time and sufficient memories, buy a treasure map.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2017, 10:58:11 am »

Part of me is laughing about how appropriate it is for Kitsune to set up in a Centaur town. One:  If these are the Kitsune I know, then they actually gain energy from sexual contact; and Two:  Their chosen trade is divination and selling treasure maps here, which appeals perfectly to Centaur wanderlust. We really need the precious little energy we have now for other things, though, so I'm not sure we can afford doing business with them... unless they're willing to lower their price for a bit of haggling, of course.

But we have more important things to do. Healing centaurs from a scouting party would be an indescribably ideal talking point for the coming meeting at sunset. Even the offer might be appreciated.

Something worries me, though... We're hearing a lot about Gnar and Hershel, but not much about the rest of our party. They're not getting into any trouble, are they? Might want to check on them before or after we go help the centaurs, if it's convenient to do so. A whole day in an unfamiliar town's a long time for them to get bored; or worse, drunk. We have some authority since Toogool let us come along, so we might be able to defuse any embarrassing situations that could blacken our reputation here. Or maybe we can just ask Gnar, since he's standing right here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5