Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How fun is SPAMKINGDOM series?

Mind-bogglingly popular game series that you follow from early on and cannot stop, waiting for new installment like a drooling addict.
Long-runner soap opera you're too invested into to just stop watching it.
A fun little comic strip in the daily newspaper that's been around forever.
3/6
Who said it's fun? I didn't for sure.
I'm just waiting here for it to die horribly already so it will stop showing on my Unread Posts list.

Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1087

Author Topic: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Houlandin IV of Methiant-Cydwyl!  (Read 776122 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Cyl I of Methiant!
« Reply #9555 on: April 03, 2018, 11:58:29 pm »

You decide to let the priests take control of the proceedings.

THe first topic is thus Religion Tax. Various clergy mention how it makes hard to keep maintenance of holy buildings and keep a supply of various religious implements and incenses whilst also paying annual tax to the Crown. All three cults agree that they want it repealed (a rare occurence, this).

A) Nah.
B) Sure.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: April 04, 2018, 12:01:32 am »

B

Our economy is fixed, we can repeal that nasty little tax!

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: April 04, 2018, 01:16:40 am »

B
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: April 04, 2018, 01:22:51 am »

A
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:48:10 am by ZBridges »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: April 04, 2018, 01:26:12 am »

B

And this will give us some serious bargaining power for the rest of the council.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: April 04, 2018, 01:27:21 am »

A

I don't think they've provided much of a justification for being tax-exempt. Perhaps they would like to take advantage of the Settlement Policy instead and bring their faiths to Orcworld if they'd like to increase their income streams to better deal with the taxes? (also bullshit the Alldivines can't afford the tax, they run entire private militaries that they sell to the highest bidder, tax the bastards into oblivion)

Seriously though, the reason we did Religious Tolerance to begin with is that privileged religions have annoyed the piss out of us and indeed every monarch before us, and taking a stand against such nonsense should only be encouraged.

And this will give us some serious bargaining power for the rest of the council.

It won't do anything of the sort because we're just giving them what they want before specifying what we expect of them, and that's just unsound bargaining right there.

Furthermore, the people are reasonably happy, the economy is booming, we have a full army itching for a fight and no outstanding foreign conflicts - they want to start trouble, they can feckin' well bring it and see how that goes for them.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:50:56 am by Harry Baldman »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: April 04, 2018, 01:30:50 am »

A - We could revisit this later if needed.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: April 04, 2018, 01:55:26 am »

B No tax, but do not expect support, live or die on your own dime!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: April 04, 2018, 03:24:26 am »

Ugh, I don't want to repeal the tax, but I don't want to deliberately antagonise the religions by refusing to their faces after you guys barged us into the meeting, either.
Well, A anyway.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: April 04, 2018, 03:45:37 am »

B.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: April 04, 2018, 03:46:48 am »

Don't look at it as a question of "do the cults deserve tax exempt status," look at it as a game mechanic.

End of Year 1154 AD: Established Religion Tax:
Various congregations are given away territories and various tax exemptions for those. With erosion of religious influences upon the state, its prime opportunity to dip our hand into prime source of income that is donations and tithes gathered by those numerous cults present in the empire. It will surely not please them, and, by extension, your subjects.

The way it is phrased, the religion tax seems to trade Happiness for money. For all we know, the religion tax is throwing an inverted festival every year. We are no longer facing a crisis of money, so I see no reason to continue making the trade.

As it stands, our happiness is one point away from being an issue, while our income is fine now that we have wine, gold, and are not building a godamn fortress anymore. I'm not afraid of facing a rebellion with 9 army, but if we do, I'd rather the Alldivine not drag their well trained battlebrothers into it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: April 04, 2018, 04:29:00 am »

I didn't really get the impression that it works that way - certainly didn't notice Happiness wantonly dipping like such a trade would imply (instead I think we mostly dropped our happiness via tax increases to the general population). I figured it was a one-time Happiness sacrifice which optionally opened up events such as this.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: April 04, 2018, 04:59:41 am »

I didn't really get the impression that it works that way - certainly didn't notice Happiness wantonly dipping like such a trade would imply (instead I think we mostly dropped our happiness via tax increases to the general population). I figured it was a one-time Happiness sacrifice which optionally opened up events such as this.

You may be right. Honestly, I'm not sure. All I know is that we don't need the money now, would rather not live the constant fear of having the cults rebel at a bad time (we could deal with it now, but I've noticed rebellions do tend to happen when our troops are preoccupied elsewhere), and could very easily re-instate the tax if we ever stumble into a financial emergency once again. It just strikes me as a shadow we have chosen to live under for one econ point a year. Shadows are mostly harmless, but scary because you can't always tell what is hiding in them.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: April 04, 2018, 05:07:06 am »

Oh, true enough that we don't need the tax, I like it not because of the Econ increase but because it weakens our organized religions, which I see as a good thing because we don't centrally control any of them and they historically only ever seem to cause us grief. And since there's no pope for us to shutter inside Avignon to establish control, that just leaves the Religious Tax as the tool du jour for eroding religious institutions within the Empire. Ideally we keep the tax there for so long that it just becomes the default and normal state of affairs, perhaps compelling neighboring states to impose similar taxes and just completely fucking organized religion in the entire region (which is likely what these denominations started the Congress to chat about, and a sign that it might actually work).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:11:42 am by Harry Baldman »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: April 04, 2018, 05:35:38 am »

Frankly, the only cult present at this meeting that worries me is the Alldivine, because they actually keep a church militia. As it stands, that is the religion that Cyl actually pratices, and their armies are more likely to aid us than harm us if the tax goes away.

Honestly, I think the various faiths do a fair job of checking and balancing each other without our help. If we had one religion that monopolized the worship of our populace, I might share your concern. For now, the whatever happiness penalties the tax brings strikes me as a more real and concrete threat than one of the local cults abruptly rising up without warning and going full Damned on us.
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1087